Keep my VIC license

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Keep my VIC license

Post by Mr Democracy » 31 May 2023, 10:36 pm

Hi guys. I plan to go to university in NSW next year, but half of the guns I own are banned by NSW (folding stock). Can I keep my VIC license and conduct activities in NSW? I plan to carry 2-3 fixed-stock rifles of different calibers, similar to the sako85.
Mr Democracy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Keep my VIC license

Post by bladeracer » 31 May 2023, 10:46 pm

Mr Democracy wrote:Hi guys. I plan to go to university in NSW next year, but half of the guns I own are banned by NSW (folding stock). Can I keep my VIC license and conduct activities in NSW? I plan to carry 2-3 fixed-stock rifles of different calibers, similar to the sako85.

You can only hold a licence in the state in which you reside. If you are only going to be studying in NSW you might be able to apply for an exemption, worth a try anyway. Otherwise transfer them to somebody you trust and use them whenever you're down here. Or you can get fixed stocks for them or otherwise make then NSW legal, but leave the illegal items in Victoria.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AS30N » 31 May 2023, 11:34 pm

Technically you need to apply within 7 days of moving, that means you pretty much have to find a target/ hunting club to join (ssaa will do) and have the supporting documents ready before you move. Plus you need to have a dealer lined up to register your guns..... All within 7 days. It is doable and I did exactly that when moving to NSW, it took me a few weeks to organise before the move tho. Now some people have their own interpretation of "date of move" and usually if you don't convert your driver's license first the FAR isn't too fuzzy about it. But if your guns get stolen (even if stored properly) you will have lots of explaining to do. I guess best bring the whole lot but without the folding stock, even if it's just a barreled action, it can get registered anyway.
AS30N
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Mr Democracy » 01 Jun 2023, 1:19 am

AS30N wrote:Technically you need to apply within 7 days of moving, that means you pretty much have to find a target/ hunting club to join (ssaa will do) and have the supporting documents ready before you move. Plus you need to have a dealer lined up to register your guns..... All within 7 days. It is doable and I did exactly that when moving to NSW, it took me a few weeks to organise before the move tho. Now some people have their own interpretation of "date of move" and usually if you don't convert your driver's license first the FAR isn't too fuzzy about it. But if your guns get stolen (even if stored properly) you will have lots of explaining to do. I guess best bring the whole lot but without the folding stock, even if it's just a barreled action, it can get registered anyway.

Thanks for your experience,I checked the laws of NSW and the interstate license for Cat AB rifles is valid for three months. If I bring my rifle back to VIC within three months it may be considered a visitor. On the other hand, I am still working on the definition of residents. If I just study in NSW I may not be considered a settled resident. however I will consult the NSW firearm office for accurate information before acting out.
Mr Democracy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by AS30N » 01 Jun 2023, 9:35 am

Mr Democracy wrote:
AS30N wrote:Technically you need to apply within 7 days of moving, that means you pretty much have to find a target/ hunting club to join (ssaa will do) and have the supporting documents ready before you move. Plus you need to have a dealer lined up to register your guns..... All within 7 days. It is doable and I did exactly that when moving to NSW, it took me a few weeks to organise before the move tho. Now some people have their own interpretation of "date of move" and usually if you don't convert your driver's license first the FAR isn't too fuzzy about it. But if your guns get stolen (even if stored properly) you will have lots of explaining to do. I guess best bring the whole lot but without the folding stock, even if it's just a barreled action, it can get registered anyway.

Thanks for your experience,I checked the laws of NSW and the interstate license for Cat AB rifles is valid for three months. If I bring my rifle back to VIC within three months it may be considered a visitor. On the other hand, I am still working on the definition of residents. If I just study in NSW I may not be considered a settled resident. however I will consult the NSW firearm office for accurate information before acting out.

If both NSWpol and vicpol consider you visitor you maybe able to get a store permit, have a look.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/online_se ... _residents

Another thing to remember, if you do end up getting NSW licence, you need to do your 4 shoots for sport or 2 for hunting every year, I believe there is no attendance in Vic for A/B so be careful.
AS30N
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws