Tikka TAC A1 in NSW

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Tikka TAC A1 in NSW

Post by Biscuits » 17 Jun 2023, 4:53 pm

I have a NSW licence, but have some guns overseas which I want to import. One of them is a Tikka TAC A1, with a folding stock, so hit with the ban hammer. It also has a suppressor, but I can put the muzzle brake back on.

Just watched this Mark and Sam video with a Ruger Precision Rifle, folding stock.
https://youtu.be/DQQp4qtwSNQ
Mark has removed the push button release for the folding butt and installed a bolt which needs tools to undo. So the butt can be removed (or folded, not quite sure), but only using tools.

Can I do this to make a Tikka TAC A1 NSW legal? If so, is it better to have that done overseas prior to import, or import then have a gunsmith do it in NSW?
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Tikka TAC A1 in NSW

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jun 2023, 5:44 pm

Biscuits wrote:I have a NSW licence, but have some guns overseas which I want to import. One of them is a Tikka TAC A1, with a folding stock, so hit with the ban hammer. It also has a suppressor, but I can put the muzzle brake back on.

Just watched this Mark and Sam video with a Ruger Precision Rifle, folding stock.
https://youtu.be/DQQp4qtwSNQ
Mark has removed the push button release for the folding butt and installed a bolt which needs tools to undo. So the butt can be removed (or folded, not quite sure), but only using tools.

Can I do this to make a Tikka TAC A1 NSW legal? If so, is it better to have that done overseas prior to import, or import then have a gunsmith do it in NSW?

I believe such a mod must be done by a licenced smith in NSW. Whether the TAC A1 is legal in NSW I don't know, but an email to the Registry would soon clarify that. They will also be able to tell you whether having the stock fixed in the UK will allow you to import it without further modification.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 17 Jun 2023, 7:17 pm

You have this
Screenshot_20230617_185910_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20230617_185910_Google.jpg (308.24 KiB) Viewed 3911 times

You need the ridged part I don't know what it's called my google fu is crap
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by big matt » 19 Jun 2023, 11:25 am

I had an adjustable stock in NSW pinned to make it legal and spoke with the Licensed Dealer and Gunsmith who told me I could have done it myself as there were no laws in NSW that state that he had to do it for me. Although he only charged me $20.00. Now all legal for use in NSW. the only reason I kept the stock and got it pinned was because it came with a purchase from Victoria.
big matt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by MontyShooter » 19 Jun 2023, 5:14 pm

If you pin the stock then get yourself an extra long cleaning rod as it's a pain to clean unless you fold the stock.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 19 Jun 2023, 6:42 pm

After you remove the Cheek piece
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Jun 2023, 8:01 pm

MontyShooter wrote:If you pin the stock then get yourself an extra long cleaning rod as it's a pain to clean unless you fold the stock.

My understanding is that it just requires that you use a "tool" to remove the stock. A wingnut would be illegal, a sockethead screw would be fine as it requires a tool.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to New South Wales gun laws