Shooting attendance question

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Shooting attendance question

Post by djmm » 22 Jun 2023, 10:40 am

Hi guys,

I'm a cat A and B license holder under target shooting. I've done my attendance for my rimfire for this year, but this April I just acquired a centrefire rifle (all my previous attendances were for my rimfire rifle practice).
My question is do I also have only until end of June (ie next week) to complete my attendance?
Or is it 12 months from the month you acquire your new rifle? Thanks.
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Shooting attendance question

Post by straightshooter » 22 Jun 2023, 11:06 am

As far as I know 4 attendances of target shooting, where you have actually shot, irrespective of whether it is Cat A or B satisfies the NSW regulations.
All clubs are now required by NSW FAR to align their attendance reporting to the financial year dates.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Jackaroo » 22 Jun 2023, 12:21 pm

straightshooter wrote:As far as I know 4 attendances of target shooting, where you have actually shot, irrespective of whether it is Cat A or B satisfies the NSW regulations.
All clubs are now required by NSW FAR to align their attendance reporting to the financial year dates.

That's not correct, NSW FAR gave clubs the option of using the financial year (June) or the CLUBS financial year which is generally the AGM date + 28 days and at the end of the year.
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 22 Jun 2023, 7:26 pm

Attendance for longarms,(target), is 4 in total. It is not separated for air/rimfire/cetrefire like pistol is.
Your all good mate.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by djmm » 23 Jun 2023, 9:56 am

Got it, thanks for the confirmation all
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by pilotsignal » 29 Jun 2023, 7:38 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Attendance for longarms,(target), is 4 in total. It is not separated for air/rimfire/cetrefire like pistol is.
Your all good mate.

I have similar situation, but not quite. Just last week I have added category H (hunting) to my T (target) SSAA membership.
Does this mean that I must add another 2 hunting attendances to my already completed 4 for target shooting for 2022-2023?
And also, having H and T both categories on my membership now requires the total 6 attendencies per year (4+2) or either 4 for tager shooting or 2 for hunting?
I am a bit confused as SSAA website states the following:

Hunting – 2 hunting club events or attendances in a NSW Firearms Registry approved range

This participation requirement only applies if membership of an approved hunting club is the sole reason for which the licensee has established the genuine reason of recreational hunting/vermin control."

I read this as 2 hunting attendencies per year only applies if there is no other (T in my case) category on the licence. Am I correct?
pilotsignal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 02 Jul 2023, 12:05 am

In NSW, if membership of SSAA is your only genuine reason, then yes, it's 2 for hunting & 4 for target. Unlike pistols, you can tick both T and H boxes in a single visit.
Basically you can attend the range for a target session and then sight in or do some load development with your hunting rifle. Counts a one attendance for each.
If you have only just done your licence recently you are not expected to comply with attendances in less than a year.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws