Legal to mail order air pellets?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Legal to mail order air pellets?

Post by AS30N » 23 Jul 2023, 6:22 pm

I have been struggling to find decent air pellets (light weight flat point for issf 10 m, goodluck finding RWS/JSB/QYS flats ) in Sydney lately. I have noticed that's an online shop called airrifleslug Aus and seems to ship to buyer. Now I am not sure if I am even allowed to order them. I believe pellets are ammo right? So I can't really have it delivered at my front door? So it is ok as long as it is registered mail and I supply my license and rego details?
Last edited by AS30N on 23 Jul 2023, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AS30N
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Legal to mail order air pellets?

Post by deye243 » 23 Jul 2023, 6:27 pm

Yep no difference between them and projectiles.
As I type this I have 3000 projectiles transit
Last edited by deye243 on 23 Jul 2023, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 23 Jul 2023, 6:28 pm

Pellets may be ammo in some jurisdictions but there is no problem with shipping them as they are not a Hazardous Item and have no Hazmat Classification.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by AS30N » 23 Jul 2023, 8:32 pm

deye243 wrote:Yep no difference between them and projectiles.
As I type this I have 3000 projectiles transit

Projectile is one thing, I order mine all the time. But I believe pellets in NSW is considered ammo, not just projectiles.
AS30N
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by AS30N » 23 Jul 2023, 8:35 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Pellets may be ammo in some jurisdictions but there is no problem with shipping them as they are not a Hazardous Item and have no Hazmat Classification.

Now that I think of it, regional shooters used to have live delivered to their homes on Haz Mat transport right? So must be legal to order instead of visiting physical shop.
AS30N
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jul 2023, 9:14 pm

AS30N wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:Pellets may be ammo in some jurisdictions but there is no problem with shipping them as they are not a Hazardous Item and have no Hazmat Classification.

Now that I think of it, regional shooters used to have live delivered to their homes on Haz Mat transport right? So must be legal to order instead of visiting physical shop.

Until September of 2021 we could have ammunition and primers delivered, not powders. Yes, you can ship pellets without issue. Make sure you know who is behind that enterprise and that they actually have stock before you pay anything. I'll send you a private message.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jackaroo » 24 Jul 2023, 9:43 am

AS30N be wary of answers from out of NSW, Double check because I was told that pellets in NSW are classified as ammo and if you have them out on a safe inspection a cop could confiscate your guns and licence.

Make a call and verify what's correct.
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jul 2023, 1:30 pm

Jackaroo wrote:AS30N be wary of answers from out of NSW, Double check because I was told that pellets in NSW are classified as ammo and if you have them out on a safe inspection a cop could confiscate your guns and licence.

That's a different situation. Your requirement for safe storage is to not store ammo with a firearm, regardless of what that ammo is. I would assume it would also apply to paintball ammo. But it's nothing to do with whether you can send it through the mail.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jackaroo » 24 Jul 2023, 4:38 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Jackaroo wrote:AS30N be wary of answers from out of NSW, Double check because I was told that pellets in NSW are classified as ammo and if you have them out on a safe inspection a cop could confiscate your guns and licence.

That's a different situation. Your requirement for safe storage is to not store ammo with a firearm, regardless of what that ammo is. I would assume it would also apply to paintball ammo. But it's nothing to do with whether you can send it through the mail.

Supposedly in NSW Air Pellets are classified as 'Ammunition' and if you have them out on a bench and not locked up you can get pinged.

Again the OP needs to ascertain the correct information himself and not rely on anecdotal forum posts, especially from posters who don't reside in the OP's State and who may or may not be familiar with that States law.
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Pendous » 24 Jul 2023, 11:00 pm

Firearms Act 1996
and
Firearms Regulation 2017

Below is the extract from the Act.

ammunition includes—

(a) any article consisting of a cartridge case fitted with a primer and a projectile, or

(b) any article consisting of a cartridge case fitted with a primer and containing a propelling charge and a projectile, or

(c) blank cartridges, airgun pellets, training cartridges or gas cartridges, or

(d) any other article prescribed by the regulations for the purposes of this definition.

And here's a link to a Ammunition Fact sheet
Pendous
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 25 Jul 2023, 6:01 am

That just goes to show how f^kd up things can become when politicians (and their law writers) get involved.
Projectiles, as one would use for reloading ammunition.
Any quantity of shot is OK, whether it be lead, steel, bismuth, etc.
And split shot, as one might use for fishing.
But airgun pellets? Oh, no. That's beyond the pale. Go directly to jail and do not pass go.
Numpties; the lot of them.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jul 2023, 8:09 am

Nobody is saying pellets aren't ammunition. This is about whether they can be posted through the mail. They're not dangerous goods so don't require Dangerous Goods transport, and they're not explosive so present no danger to mail carriers. Since we can send bullets through the mail we can send pellets. Except perhaps WA, they're always a problem with reality.

Pendous wrote:Firearms Act 1996
and
Firearms Regulation 2017

Below is the extract from the Act.

ammunition includes—

(a) any article consisting of a cartridge case fitted with a primer and a projectile, or

(b) any article consisting of a cartridge case fitted with a primer and containing a propelling charge and a projectile, or

(c) blank cartridges, airgun pellets, training cartridges or gas cartridges, or

(d) any other article prescribed by the regulations for the purposes of this definition.

bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jackaroo » 25 Jul 2023, 9:10 am

bladeracer wrote:Nobody is saying pellets aren't ammunition. This is about whether they can be posted through the mail. They're not dangerous goods so don't require Dangerous Goods transport, and they're not explosive so present no danger to mail carriers. Since we can send bullets through the mail we can send pellets. Except perhaps WA, they're always a problem with reality.

[/quote]

Its law, its our NSW Firearms Act - 'Ammunition' which is what pellets fall under in NSW need to be transported secured in a LOCKED container so you're running foul of the law if they are transported in anyway shape or form not in a locked container.

If you pick them up from the PO they are unsecured, if they are left in your letterbox they are unsecured.

Why would anyone risk their licence for pellets?
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AS30N » 26 Jul 2023, 2:14 pm

Let's just accept that pellets are ammo. This is not being disputed.

The question is only about shipping of it.

I spoke to my local dealer, he said should be ok provided that I order from a dealer and signature required. He said only the legalities of transportation is in question, nothing else. And NSWPOL deems registered (signature require) Aus post parcel from dealer to dealer firearm is acceptable mode of transport. There is no reason for me to question why I can't use the same mode of transport to obtain my pellets, which is not Haz Mat.

But then he offered to order some for me from supplier, problem solved.
AS30N
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by scoot » 26 Jul 2023, 2:24 pm

I've ordered from air rifle slugs and from potters. Both were delivered to p.o. box in sa no problems. Ordered from England and it got stopped.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by AS30N » 26 Jul 2023, 3:01 pm

scoot wrote:I've ordered from air rifle slugs and from potters. Both were delivered to p.o. box in sa no problems. Ordered from England and it got stopped.

I it is possibly easier on my nerve to order from an overseas source.

I have ordered, trigger assembly, magazines, projectile, sabots and brass with B709's from both NSWPOL and WAPOL before, no dramas. I

If I apply for an B709 from NSWPOL for pellets, if they say no then I don't order, if the say yes, them I know I am covered.

Btw, it is strange how WAPOL won't let you order magazines directly from eastern states but have no issues with you getting a b709 and import yourself via postal services.... I did that when I lived in Perth 3 years ago.
AS30N
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Jackaroo » 26 Jul 2023, 8:18 pm

AS30N wrote:Let's just accept that pellets are ammo. This is not being disputed.

And NSWPOL deems registered (signature require) Aus post parcel from dealer to dealer firearm is acceptable mode of transport. There is no reason for me to question why I can't use the same mode of transport to obtain my pellets, which is not Haz Mat.

If you're a DEALER there isn't a problem.
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws