CAT A/B Storage Advice

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

CAT A/B Storage Advice

Post by Rider888 » 24 Oct 2023, 10:50 am

Hi all, I cant find anything with specific guidance as to the storage requirements for Cat A/B except that it can be made of wood or metal and a type approved under section 40 of the regulation or something along those lines. Unlike my Cat H which tells me how thick the safe needs to be etc, I am unable to locate the same specifications for Cat A/B.

So my question is that because the guidance is not terribly prescribed, can I store Cat A/B in something like a school locker as long as it can be secured to the floor and lockable with a pad lock as described under the regulations?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: CAT A/B Storage Advice

Post by womble » 24 Oct 2023, 11:49 am

Not in Victoria you can't, not anymore.
There's guideline requirements now
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 24 Oct 2023, 12:30 pm

Read NSW Police Fact Sheet for Level 1 storage, then read S.40 of the Act. In general a Police Officer doing your inspection may decide such a receptacle as a school locker is "easily penetrable" and refuse to Certify your storage, they are lawfully permitted that discretion and you have little ability to appeal it. Always try to exceed the minimum you think will pass, ie: buy a commercial gunsafe, they can be had quite reasonably cheap.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Oct 2023, 12:32 pm

Rider888 wrote:Hi all, I cant find anything with specific guidance as to the storage requirements for Cat A/B except that it can be made of wood or metal and a type approved under section 40 of the regulation or something along those lines. Unlike my Cat H which tells me how thick the safe needs to be etc, I am unable to locate the same specifications for Cat A/B.

So my question is that because the guidance is not terribly prescribed, can I store Cat A/B in something like a school locker as long as it can be secured to the floor and lockable with a pad lock as described under the regulations?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Your legal responsibility is to take all reasonable precautions against loss or theft of your firearms.
https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/131178/Safe_Storage_Level_1_Fact_Sheet.pdf
This Fact Sheet only says the container must be of an "approved type".
Good luck trying to determine what is an "approved type" though, I can't find anything.
There is a specific requirement that it be "not easily penetrable", which I doubt a school locker would comply with.
Best bet would be to take photos of it, send them to the Registry and ask them.
An even better bet would be to simply buy a cheap rifle safe - they're on Ebay for under $250.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 24 Oct 2023, 3:10 pm

It actually says of a type approved by the commissioner, same with ammo boxes. Only the type he approves of :D
And apparently he does approve his type made of wood . We’re not allowed to have wood.

Yep that’s NSW all right
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 24 Oct 2023, 3:20 pm

Thanks everyone. That is why I am confused. How is a wooden box, as per the act, secure and approvable but a metal locker isnt? I will get a safe, maybe from bunnings etc but just wanted to ensure that there wasn't a 6mm min wall thickness etc etc
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by womble » 24 Oct 2023, 4:29 pm

Because if the thief knows karate the wood is easily snapped in two with a roundhouse kick .
I don’t really know but that came to mind
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Oct 2023, 4:56 pm

I doubt Bunnings will sell them unless they are ok.
But suggest you get bigger and better. People do tend to buy more over time and scopes and bolt handles take up space too.

If the maker says it will hold 6, 4 is probably more realistic.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to New South Wales gun laws