Do gun storage services count as uninhabited dwellings?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Do gun storage services count as uninhabited dwellings?

Post by insideoutside » 28 Oct 2023, 6:49 pm

My question is in relation to CAT A/B only in NSW

In NSW it appears storage requirements are more strict for uninhabited dwellings:

"If a person stores their firearms in a place other than an inhabited dwelling, they can do so provided the following
safe storage requirements are met or exceeded:
All firearms must be -
• stored in a safe of an approved type, and
• fitted with a trigger or barrel lock that prevents the firearm from being discharged, and
• secured individually on, or in, a locked device within the safe.
The safe must be fitted with an alarm of an approved type that is monitored off-site."

Does that mean if I store it at a storage service e.g. Kennards gun safe storage or at the range, that because those storage options are technically uninhabited (though they have high levels of security like security alarms, offsite monitoring, cameras etc), that I would STILL have to use trigger locks on all firearms and store them all in individually locked containers within the safe? If so how would I get a small secondary locked compartments to fit within the safe which has room for 3-4 rifles? It seems excessive when they already have quite good storage, but by the letter of the law it appears this is the case as they are not inhabited dwellings!
insideoutside
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Do gun storage services count as uninhabited dwellings?

Post by bladeracer » 01 Nov 2023, 1:23 pm

insideoutside wrote:My question is in relation to CAT A/B only in NSW

In NSW it appears storage requirements are more strict for uninhabited dwellings:

"If a person stores their firearms in a place other than an inhabited dwelling, they can do so provided the following
All firearms must be -
• fitted with a trigger or barrel lock that prevents the firearm from being discharged, and
The safe must be fitted with an alarm of an approved type that is monitored off-site."

Does that mean if I store it at a storage service e.g. Kennards gun safe storage or at the range, that because those storage options are technically uninhabited (though they have high levels of security like security alarms, offsite monitoring, cameras etc), that I would STILL have to use trigger locks on all firearms and store them all in individually locked containers within the safe? If so how would I get a small secondary locked compartments to fit within the safe which has room for 3-4 rifles? It seems excessive when they already have quite good storage, but by the letter of the law it appears this is the case as they are not inhabited dwellings!

I would think their security exceeds the requirements. Your best bet is to email the Registry and ask them. My son-in-law manages a Kennards storage facility in Victoria, they have staff on-site only during business hours. But they have better security than most homeowners would be likely to have.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Nov 2023, 1:50 pm

I've been discussing the costs of firearms storage lockers with my son-in-law, have you looked at that yet? I can't see it being viable for very many people at all.

insideoutside wrote:My question is in relation to CAT A/B only in NSW

All firearms must be -

Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Flyonline » 01 Nov 2023, 6:21 pm

Gun shops aren't inhabited all the time, surely there must be some way for them to get around it.
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by alexjones » 02 Nov 2023, 6:57 am

I think you should focus on the word "dwelling" and what it means. Gun shops, ranges etc are not dwellings.

This is for people who store firearms on their big properties and back sheds etc.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 05 Nov 2023, 8:25 am

In NSW a business or club offering just firearm storage services is subject to very stringent approval criteria equal to those applied to a dealer. Much simpler rules apply to storage in inhabited dwellings although things might get tougher if one owns 20 or more firearms.
I am unaware of any circumstance where a lightweight backyard shed would ever gain approval for storage.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws