Use Rifle acquired for Target Genuine reason for Hunting

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Use Rifle acquired for Target Genuine reason for Hunting

Post by nurofen » 17 Nov 2023, 12:05 am

Have target + hunting/vermin control on my license. Ages ago, acquired rifle with target genuine reason on PTA, is it okay for me to go hunting with it now that I have hunting/vermin control on my license.
target rifle shooter
nurofen
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Use Rifle acquired for Target Genuine reason for Hunting

Post by womble » 17 Nov 2023, 2:44 am

Of course.
This isn’t North Korea or WA
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 17 Nov 2023, 9:48 am

No idea. That's what your licencing branch is for. Give them a call.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Nov 2023, 11:03 am

nurofen wrote:Have target + hunting/vermin control on my license. Ages ago, acquired rifle with target genuine reason on PTA, is it okay for me to go hunting with it now that I have hunting/vermin control on my license.

WA licences CatA/B firearms with individual restrictions, no other state though as far as I'm aware so nothing stopping you.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 17 Nov 2023, 11:28 am

nurofen wrote:Have target + hunting/vermin control on my license. Ages ago, acquired rifle with target genuine reason on PTA, is it okay for me to go hunting with it now that I have hunting/vermin control on my license.

The simple answer is yes.
Target shooting and Hunting-Vermin Control are the 'good' reasons your licence was granted and any rifle you acquire may be used for any of the purposes granted on your licence.
However if you had only one or the other 'good' reason listed on your licence then it would be an offence to use any rifle you poses to engage in the 'good' reason not listed on your licence.
That does not prevent you from sighting in, practicing or load testing if for example you don't have Target shooting listed on your licence.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws