Transfer Cat B rifle from Vic to NSW

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Transfer Cat B rifle from Vic to NSW

Post by Heavy D » 29 Nov 2023, 6:54 pm

Quick question, I bought a Cat B Centrefire rifle from a Victorian gun shop which has been shipped to a NSW gun shop and the shop wont release it to me saying they need to register the gun in NSW before they can release it. This didnt happen last time I did this.
Its registered in victoria, I thought with w P558 form it would be filed immediately and able to be released with to me with the approved PTA.
Can someone shed some light on this for me please.
Thanks
Heavy D
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Transfer Cat B rifle from Vic to NSW

Post by bladeracer » 05 Dec 2023, 2:40 pm

Heavy D wrote:Quick question, I bought a Cat B Centrefire rifle from a Victorian gun shop which has been shipped to a NSW gun shop and the shop wont release it to me saying they need to register the gun in NSW before they can release it. This didnt happen last time I did this.
Its registered in victoria, I thought with w P558 form it would be filed immediately and able to be released with to me with the approved PTA.
Can someone shed some light on this for me please.
Thanks

The NSW dealer has to put it on their books in NSW before it can be passed onto a shooter's licence, but it shouldn't take more than a few hours I would think. Are they saying that they've done the paperwork but it hasn't come back to them yet as being registered to them so they can't pass it on to you?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Transfer Cat B rifle from Vic to NSW

Post by Pendous » 05 Dec 2023, 6:17 pm

What bladeracer said.
I've done two interstate and it has been the following day.

Received at the dealer.
Dealer registers firearm in NSW.
On confirmation of registration, (following day in both my cases) dealer can then transfer to you.
Pendous
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws