"Police call in Big Gun'

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

"Police call in Big Gun'

Post by RoginaJack » 16 Jun 2014, 4:11 pm

SKYNEWS have just posted the following news report -

Police call in big gun to battle gun crime
Updated: 2:37 pm, Monday, 16 June 2014

Police have enlisted a big gun of their own as part of a campaign to rein in illegal firearms.

Victoria Cross recipient Corporal Ben Roberts-Smith has joined NSW Police in making an appeal to the community to dob in illegal gun owners.

'I have seen what guns can do in wartime,' Corporal Roberts-Smith said in a video message in Sydney on Monday.

'Like many others, I have served my country ... now it's your chance to protect the community by phoning crime stoppers and telling authorities where to find that illegal gun.'

Now in its second year, the Australasia-wide Operation Unification is a two-week initiative that encourages communities to notify police about illegal guns or firearm owners in their area.

Police say during the 2013/2014 financial year, nearly 9000 firearms have been seized by or surrendered to NSW Police - 4366 of them since January.

A 2012 report by the Australian Institute of Criminology shows that around 1545 firearms are reported stolen each year across the country.

While nearly 10 per cent of firearms seized are poorly made, home-assembled guns that can explode in people's hands.

Acting state crime commander, John Kerlatec said one phone call could save a life.

'It's about passing on that piece of information that may save that person from being killed or injured,' he said.

'We don't want to see that gun used in anger.

'More importantly we don't want to see any children hurt. We want these guns off our streets.'

Gun Control Australia spokeswoman Sam Lee said most illegal guns in Australia come from legal dealers who have gone rogue.

She says focusing on the legal gun market will stop the flow of guns into the illegal market.

'Quite high numbers of firearms are going into the black market through rogue dealers,' she said.

Last month police announced the $9.6 million Australian Ballistics Information Network (ABIN), which lets states and territories enter details of a firearm or bullet to see if it is linked to other crimes across Australia.

The existing network has uncovered 1200 gun-crime links.

Anyone with information should call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, or online on http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/.
[/i]

Well, here we go AGAIN! Generally, I support the crack down on unregistered and illegal weapons in the community.

The spokesperson for "Gun Control Australia' Sam Lee, states that most illegal guns in Australia are coming from legal dealers gone rogue and goes on to say that focusing on the legal gun market will stop the flow of guns into the illegal market.

Where did that information come from and where are the statistics and figures to back up the wild statements? I am under the impression that legal gun owners "are focused" on by the various state Weapons Licencing Branches through inspections re storage and Legislation and Licencing laws. I notice in the above news report that no spokesperson from our side was interviewed.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Re: "Police call in Big Gun'

Post by MeccaOz » 16 Jun 2014, 4:26 pm

Sam Lee is well known at least in our community for just pulling "facts" out of her arse. Usually with absolutely no proof or even logic, she gets so much air time because she is one of the main faces of the anti gun establishment.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 16 Jun 2014, 5:13 pm

Too true, MeccaOz and it's long overdue that Sam Lee and others from these red neck organisations were taken to task by the Licensed dealers, sporting and shooting organisations because it's their livelihood and members that are being threatened.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by MeccaOz » 16 Jun 2014, 5:37 pm

Not only their livelihood but they make us out to be criminals and illiterate rednecks too. ( Well I might be a bit of a redneck :lol: )
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by chilliman » 16 Jun 2014, 6:31 pm

'Gun Control Australia spokeswoman Sam Lee said most illegal guns in Australia come from legal dealers who have gone rogue.

She says focusing on the legal gun market will stop the flow of guns into the illegal market.

'Quite high numbers of firearms are going into the black market through rogue dealers,' she said.'

what a ridiculous statement - if they have gone rogue then they cease to be 'legal dealers'.

that post is the entire irrational side of the gun control argument encapsulated in the one stupid statement.

illegal gun numbers and crimes committed with those guns will not reduce by making it tougher on the law-abiding LFO's. it's is not the responsible members of society that are the problem so how will a safer community be achieved by flogging those that abide by the legislation imposed on them?

no-one wants to see guns harm children or anyone else but an emotional comment like that just to elicit support is piss weak and shows how desperate GCA must be for support.
Mark

Gamo Hunter IGT .22
Weihrauch HW60J .22lr
223 + 308 5R's have arrived
Lee Enfield #4

get some
chilliman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 16 Jun 2014, 6:34 pm

MeccaOz wrote:Well I might be a bit of a redneck :lol:

Howww much? ;)
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by MeccaOz » 16 Jun 2014, 7:53 pm

chilliman wrote:'Gun Control Australia spokeswoman Sam Lee said most illegal guns in Australia come from legal dealers who have gone rogue.

'Quite high numbers of firearms are going into the black market through rogue dealers,' she said.'

what a ridiculous statement - if they have gone rogue then they cease to be 'legal dealers'.

that post is the entire irrational side of the gun control argument encapsulated in the one stupid statement.

illegal gun numbers and crimes committed with those guns will not reduce by making it tougher on the law-abiding LFO's. it's is not the responsible members of society that are the problem so how will a safer community be achieved by flogging those that abide by the legislation imposed on them?

no-one wants to see guns harm children or anyone else but an emotional comment like that just to elicit support is piss weak and shows how desperate GCA must be for support.

I was told once GCA was only 2 people and a website, neither of whom use actual facts, just emotive catch cries that have no basis, but must be true because of the way they are shouted from the rooftops by these 2 idiots, and because the media eats it up.

LOL noisydad, just a bit, comes from my mothers side, i think im 1/16 genuine redneck :lol:
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Shotfox » 17 Jun 2014, 9:15 am

Since the police have an identity crisis and need to inlist one of our nations hero's to do their gun crime marketing I would suggest that they re employ "fat cat" or mabey Humphrey B Bear if they are so worried about kids bieng hurt. BUT alas, didnt the greenie,do gooders, politically correct get rid of them to.? Yes that's right Humprey had no pants!. Sam Lee could dress up as "Gun Control Sam" - already has the big furry head and mabey they would get rid of her to.
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by chilliman » 17 Jun 2014, 6:20 pm

the facts are as follows:

actually they got rid of fat cat for being sans pants, humphrey's career was cut short due to the company that owned the rights to the character being wound up in the supreme court over unpaid debts (the company was bought out a few years later and HBB is back with us again) - he turns 50 next year.

what a funny old fellow is humphrey...
Mark

Gamo Hunter IGT .22
Weihrauch HW60J .22lr
223 + 308 5R's have arrived
Lee Enfield #4

get some
chilliman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by subatom » 19 Jun 2014, 10:00 pm

'It's about passing on that piece of information that may save that person from being killed or injured,' he said.

'We don't want to see that gun used in anger.

'More importantly we don't want to see any children hurt. We want these guns off our streets.'

"More importantly"? So the life of an adult is worth less? That's nice...

Can't help themselves but throw in a 'save the children' can they.
Remington VTR .308 Winchester. Marlin 336 .35 Remington. Mossberg 185 20 gauge.
subatom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by tiki » 19 Jun 2014, 10:02 pm

As soon as you're 18 you're out of the 'care factor club'.

Gotta protect those future tax payers maybe?
CZ 452 .22 WMR
Savage Weather Warrior 16/116 FCSS .260 Rem
Winchester Model 1895 .30-40 Krag

Weaver K-Series 4x38
Zeiss Victory HT 2.5–10x50
tiki
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Return to New South Wales gun laws