Inspections

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Inspections

Post by headspace » 24 Feb 2015, 9:34 pm

I dropped into my friendly local cop shop today, and asked about safe inspections. There's been talk all over the place about the cops just fronting up without calling first so I thought I'd get a straight answer. The nice Police lady I spoke to told me that inspections ONLY done at a time that is suitable to both Police and the LFO. They do not just rock up and hope for the best. As she said; "we have too many other things to do other than turn up unannounced when you may not even be home." Now that's NSW it may be different in other states, but I think the logic is sound. The cops I've spoken to about it seem to think it's a bit of a nuisance anyway, they have more important business.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Inspections

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Feb 2015, 11:09 pm

I got a call from a nice officer the other day wanting to arrange a inspection, sadly I don't live in Qld anymore and haven't for nearly 3yrs! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sbd3927 » 25 Feb 2015, 12:04 am

I think its 7 years since my first firearm, and 3mths since the second. Perhaps they do like surprise inspections in Vic and got put off by the always shut gate and
"hard dog" I've yet to have an inspection at all, but still expecting one. Alternatively the significant delay between licence and initial ownership may have been a factor. First PTA expired thanks to Ruger supply issues, then got the Anschutz. Whatever, I had a Cat C safe years before the licence for tool storage in shed, and a second Cat B in house well before getting the .22, I'm not fussed if they inspect or not.
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 25 Feb 2015, 6:55 am

headspace wrote:The cops I've spoken to about it seem to think it's a bit of a nuisance anyway, they have more important business.

My last inspection the guy just ticked off my firearms against his list and was out the door in under 5 minutes. Didn't even inspect the safe. I'm sure if they can see you're doing the right thing they just wanna tick the boxes and get back to real work :lol:
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Feb 2015, 7:44 am

Yes the officers that have done inspections on my setup have always been professional, they gave the safe the once over and checked all serial no's etc, she loved some of my rifles (ones with Boyds Stocks). They know that this safe inspection crap is just that but its part of their jobs so they do it and as I said I've never had an issue with any of them.

I generally put bigger bolts and more of them than is required by the legislation so they really can't complain. Just make sure if you ever get asked as to why you have a firearms license that you DON'T SAY ITS FOR PROTECTION - in the last inspection she asked that question and I said for hunting/vermin control and she said I'm glad you said that, I asked why and she said I get a lot that say its for self defence and when they say that I have to take their firearms off them!

So be careful how you answer that question if it does get asked!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Lorgar » 25 Feb 2015, 12:27 pm

Had mine done not too long ago. No dramas, all very pleasant (Firearms and safe inspection a breeze)

On the subject 'just turning up'. I know of it happening both ways.

My guy called a week ahead, made an appointment on the weekend with me. Easy done.

A mate of mine changed jobs and lost his company phone, changed numbers etc. and the fuzz weren't able to get hold of him. Due to that they made a visit unannounced, as it happened the timing was good and they did it anyway. Extenuating circumstances in that case but it happens.

In either case, police do not have the right to enter your home for the purposes of a standard firearms and storage inspection. You must invite them in.

If they turned up on your door unannounced you would be completely within your rights to refuse them entry at the time and agree upon a later time/date for the inspection.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Utcherd » 25 Feb 2015, 12:29 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Just make sure if you ever get asked as to why you have a firearms license that you DON'T SAY ITS FOR PROTECTION - in the last inspection she asked that question and I said for hunting/vermin control and she said I'm glad you said that, I asked why and she said I get a lot that say its for self defence and when they say that I have to take their firearms off them!

.50 cal, the number one choice for home defence :lol:
Utcherd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Spooner » 25 Feb 2015, 12:29 pm

It certainly wouldn't be lacking the intimidation factor.

Imaging a burglar breaking into a place and finding themselves staring at a .50 cal muzzle brake :lol:

Cya!
Spooner
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by VICHunter » 25 Feb 2015, 12:33 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:I'm sure if they can see you're doing the right thing they just wanna tick the boxes and get back to real work :lol:

I agree.

Only time it seems to be an issue is on the very rare occasion when some knob didn't bolt his safe down in the shed "because he's renting" and didn't want to put a hole in the floor.

Storage requirements are made clear at every step. There's no reason for anyone with half a brain to fail an inspection.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by headspace » 27 Feb 2015, 9:29 am

A young fella up here got inspected and neither his rifle safe or pistol safe were bolted down. He lost it all including a nice Desert Eagle.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Sender » 27 Feb 2015, 2:38 pm

headspace wrote:A young fella up here got inspected and neither his rifle safe or pistol safe were bolted down. He lost it all including a nice Desert Eagle.
JD

His own fault... What else too say :unknown:
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by VICHunter » 27 Feb 2015, 2:39 pm

Yep, it's hardly a secret they need to be bolted down or heavy enough is it.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by FuzzyM » 27 Feb 2015, 6:00 pm

Mine were inspected nearly immediately after I changed storage address, the friendly officer that came said that is fairly common.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Feb 2015, 7:02 pm

Had firearms 42 yrs,,,,,,purchased 3 since the buy back and moved house,,,,, never been inspected... :unknown:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AusC » 28 Feb 2015, 11:19 am

I spoke to Vic licensing and regulation a while ago following up something else and asked them about it at the time.

The woman told me the system randomly generates 8 people to check each day for them.

Seems like a stupid way to do it to me but that's straight from the horses mouth. A few peoples number must never come up with the way they do it.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to New South Wales gun laws