How long is 'normal'

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

How long is 'normal'

Post by Newshooter » 07 Oct 2016, 3:31 pm

Hi all

Been reading these forums for a few weeks and have come across some helpful information.

Have applied for my shooters licence categories a&b.

Have been told that it's a 28 business day waiting period.

That time has since past, not overly worried but was wondering how long did all of you have to wait before you were invited to get your photo identification?
Beretta 692 trap
Lithgow LA101 .22lr
Newshooter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: How long is 'normal'

Post by pete1 » 07 Oct 2016, 6:24 pm

In Vic i got it 3 days after the 28 days had past.

There will be time for them to receive in the mail, 28 days, time for them to process and then time for you to mail it back. You could always give it a week and if doesn't come then you could try calling just to check how its going.

Congratulations in advance when you get it.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 07 Oct 2016, 6:31 pm

In NSW it's more like 35 days, 28 day wait plus a few to process and mailbout eyc.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 07 Oct 2016, 7:15 pm

Weapons licensing seems to have stepped up its game recently and seems to be punching licences out in a reasonable time frame
Unlike my 9 month wait last year
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 07 Oct 2016, 7:21 pm

Weapons licensing seems to have stepped up its game recently and seems to be punching licences out in a reasonable time frame
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Newshooter » 07 Oct 2016, 9:03 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Weapons licensing seems to have stepped up its game recently and seems to be punching licences out in a reasonable time frame

s**t 9 months! Bugger that.

So hopefully mid to end next week then? Fingers crossed.

And thanks for the replies.
Beretta 692 trap
Lithgow LA101 .22lr
Newshooter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 07 Oct 2016, 11:21 pm

You're in NSW so it'll be 6-8 weeks generally. Once you get the photo advice go and find a full service RMS office that'll print the license on the spot or you'll be waiting another 2-3 weeks for it in the mail. Get 2 PTA forms ready to post, 1 Cat A Rimfire & 1 Cat B Centre Fire and mail them express post as you walk out with tour license. First PTA in each category will take another 4-6 weeks which gives you some time to save up for 2 rifles :)
Based on your alias I'm assuming you haven't shot before or have limited exposure to the sport so is wise to get yourself a 22LR Rimfire to learn and practise with before stepping up to centre fire.
And welcome aboard :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by alby » 08 Oct 2016, 9:05 am

I'm in the same boat. It's been 6 weeks and 2 days since I lodged my application in NSW. Waiting with baited breath lol..... Feels like forever.
alby
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 08 Oct 2016, 9:40 am

If you have the letter of receipt for your application there should be a license number on it which you can punch into the link below to get a status.

https://apps.police.nsw.gov.au/FPR/licenceCheck/search.jsp
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 08 Oct 2016, 10:46 am

If yu paid with you credit card look at the date the money was removed to pay for you licence then add 28 days from there plus post ( that can be up to 6 days )
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Newshooter » 08 Oct 2016, 11:00 pm

alby wrote:I'm in the same boat. It's been 6 weeks and 2 days since I lodged my application in NSW. Waiting with baited breath lol..... Feels like forever.

yep, its a pain in the backside.

I sent my application on the 20th August, date they received it was the 26th august :allegedly: , so yeah its only just gone the 29th business day, would have been 30 if not for the long weekend.

pomemax wrote:If yu paid with you credit card look at the date the money was removed to pay for you licence then add 28 days from there plus post ( that can be up to 6 days )

applying for licence, with pta i will be sending through a money order

brett1868 wrote:If you have the letter of receipt for your application there should be a license number on it which you can punch into the link below to get a status.

https://apps.police.nsw.gov.au/FPR/licenceCheck/search.jsp

wish the app had more information in it for us, even if they had to make the user "login" using both their firearms application/licence number and drivers licence number if they fear it being misused (somehow)

thanks for all of your replies, very helpful and surprising to a degree, I've been a member of a different forum and have asked a question about yeah can't actually remember and i have waited days for a reply, needless to say i didn't bother waiting any longer and found the answer after a few hours trawling their website and many many google searches.

so yeah thanks for your replies, hope the licence gets approved sooner than later, hope that its not a 9 month wait like azza had to go through..

brett1868 wrote:You're in NSW so it'll be 6-8 weeks generally. Once you get the photo advice go and find a full service RMS office that'll print the license on the spot or you'll be waiting another 2-3 weeks for it in the mail. Get 2 PTA forms ready to post, 1 Cat A Rimfire & 1 Cat B Centre Fire and mail them express post as you walk out with tour license. First PTA in each category will take another 4-6 weeks which gives you some time to save up for 2 rifles :)
Based on your alias I'm assuming you haven't shot before or have limited exposure to the sport so is wise to get yourself a 22LR Rimfire to learn and practise with before stepping up to centre fire.
And welcome aboard :)

thanks for the welcome brett,

as for your idea of sending multiple pta through, not a bad one, considering the mandatory wait period for the initial applications.

will be sending through 2
1 for shotgun
1 for centre fire as suggested.

I would send through 1 for a rim fire rifle but knowing my luck it would be processed first which isn't my priority at this stage. I have already paid a deposit on shotgun, which is why i'm champing at the bit for everything to go through seamlessly.
Last edited by Newshooter on 12 Oct 2016, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beretta 692 trap
Lithgow LA101 .22lr
Newshooter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Adlippy » 09 Oct 2016, 12:53 pm

I have recently gone through the joy that is, from the day you post to them allow a week for them to receive, then check online, check for their date processing, add the required cooling off days, add two weeks,then add about three days to allow for hair and makeup, then add four days for postage and you should find it won't be far off the mark. The RMS is a different beast, drivers license was received within 4 days, fun license two and a half weeks.
Sako Finn Fire II 22lr, Nikon pro staff 3x9x40
Sako Finn fire II 17HMR, Meopta Meopro 3x12x50
Tikka Hunter 22-250 Meopta Meopro 6x18x50
Stoeger condor 12g
Adlippy
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 09 Oct 2016, 5:26 pm

It does not mater with you first is the same wait as for a licence what tripped me up , when i got my first was a 22 i sent pta for the second before the gun shop had registered the first in my name so technically I did not have any firearms yet so i had to wait AGAIN send of for a class A pta and a class B pta at the same time no drama then .
What area of nsw are you in if you can find a motor reg office NOT a nsw services office they still process licence on the spot if any are left .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Newshooter » 10 Oct 2016, 7:14 am

Adlippy wrote:I have recently gone through the joy that is, from the day you post to them allow a week for them to receive, then check online, check for their date processing, add the required cooling off days, add two weeks,then add about three days to allow for hair and makeup, then add four days for postage and you should find it won't be far off the mark. The RMS is a different beast, drivers license was received within 4 days, fun license two and a half weeks.

about sums it up, much like any other government agency eh.

in the 30th business day now, well it's about to begin. hoping that i get an answer today.... willing to wait until the end of the week before contacting the registry.
Beretta 692 trap
Lithgow LA101 .22lr
Newshooter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Oct 2016, 8:05 am

I think the wife and kids took around 5wks or so not that we were counting the days as such (well the youngest one was) :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 10 Oct 2016, 8:31 am

Will be sending through 2
1 for shotgun

Perfect, 1 of each Cat :)
Now for something interesting....I believe the registry starts the waiting period based on the date written on the PTA when you sign it rather then from when they take the funds from your credit card. What makes me think this? I filled in PTA's, signed and dated them but was delayed a week getting the club secretary to fill in his part (Pistol Club). There should have been a 28 day wait but I had the PTA's back based on the date written rather then the date the registry received them. Not saying you should do this but maybe sign and date the PTA's a few days to a week max. before you get your license then post them once license is in your hand. I express post so I can track delivery, then I check C/C account to see when funds have been drawn which then gives me a good idea that the PTA is 3-5 days away from arriving in the mail box. I submit 2-3 PTA's a month and generally have at least 1 of each type active at a time in case I see something I like :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Newshooter » 10 Oct 2016, 8:50 am

brett1868 wrote:
Will be sending through 2
1 for shotgun

Perfect, 1 of each Cat :)
Now for something interesting....I believe the registry starts the waiting period based on the date written on the PTA when you sign it rather then from when they take the funds from your credit card. What makes me think this? I filled in PTA's, signed and dated them but was delayed a week getting the club secretary to fill in his part (Pistol Club). There should have been a 28 day wait but I had the PTA's back based on the date written rather then the date the registry received them. Not saying you should do this but maybe sign and date the PTA's a few days to a week max. before you get your license then post them once license is in your hand. I express post so I can track delivery, then I check C/C account to see when funds have been drawn which then gives me a good idea that the PTA is 3-5 days away from arriving in the mail box. I submit 2-3 PTA's a month and generally have at least 1 of each type active at a time in case I see something I like :)

So you're saying I should put the date of when I put the deposit down on the shotty?.. good idea.. that was on the 1st September...
Beretta 692 trap
Lithgow LA101 .22lr
Newshooter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Newshooter » 12 Oct 2016, 2:50 pm

Adlippy wrote:I have recently gone through the joy that is, from the day you post to them allow a week for them to receive, then check online, check for their date processing, add the required cooling off days, add two weeks,then add about three days to allow for hair and makeup, then add four days for postage and you should find it won't be far off the mark. The RMS is a different beast, drivers license was received within 4 days, fun license two and a half weeks.

how long ago did you apply, only asking as I contacted the registry yesterday, to be told that there is a significant delay. my application won't be looked at for at least/up to another month. so what should be me waiting for my id from services NSW and my pta(s) en route to the registry to collect dust for 4 - 6 weeks; i'm still waiting to be invited to get my photo taken...
Beretta 692 trap
Lithgow LA101 .22lr
Newshooter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by jays » 13 Oct 2016, 8:45 am

brett1868 wrote:Perfect, 1 of each Cat :)

Just need a C and D to complete the set :mrgreen:
jays
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Jon79 » 09 Mar 2018, 3:50 pm

Sorry for digging up an old post......was just doing a bit of a search on here looking for normal waiting times weather its 28 days or 28 business days, I had a mate call in this afternoon who sent his application in not too long after mine from memory mine was around 30ish days I never really took a lot of notice

Anyway while he was here we logged in to check on his progress which is still processing, says it was received on the 29/1/18 which is about 30 working days and 40 days in total........I said its not much to worry about as he's only at 30 business days so it wont be too far off but he reckons its 40 days and was worried he might be getting knocked back? so who's right lol?
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 09 Mar 2018, 5:22 pm

Dunno mate...
Ring em...?
Thats what i do if its getting too long in the tooth...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Jon79 » 09 Mar 2018, 6:16 pm

Stix wrote:Dunno mate...
Ring em...?
Thats what i do if its getting too long in the tooth...

Yeah I told him to just fire off an email :thumbsup:
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 10 Mar 2018, 1:00 pm

About 5-6"
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 10 Mar 2018, 1:17 pm

How long is 'normal'?

Depends what's going on and who's doing the measuring? :mrgreen:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 11 Mar 2018, 10:56 am

bigpete wrote:About 5-6"

:lol:
Got your google pages mixed up pete...this is the gun page...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Mar 2018, 2:34 pm

If you ask Brett it's 8" - 9".
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnBoy » 17 Mar 2018, 10:00 am

So how about the 2nd one. I got my first PTA through, took the usual 5 weeks or so to get to me. Now they have had my next one (in the same category) for 11 days, and it just says processing. The have it as received on the 6th!! Today is 17th and no movement! :(

Normal?
JohnBoy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Mar 2018, 10:07 am

Each state is different. In Vic sometimes in a couple of hours. Always within a day or two. My last one was the following morning.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnBoy » 17 Mar 2018, 10:32 am

GRR! I am on NSW! :(
JohnBoy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Kirra1981 » 12 Nov 2019, 1:16 pm

I applied for my class A & B firearms licence on the 8/5/19 and I meet all the requirements but I am still to get an answer from FAR NSW.
I've emailed them and had no reply and when I contact them directly they won't give me any information on what's taking so long.
I had a call from the assessment team and even they refused to comment.
How long is to long and is there an avenue I could take to at least get some information on my application.
Any help would be most appreciated.
You can't call the ombudsman as I haven't been refused, just in limbo and while I don't mind waiting it's the lack of communication when FAR are contacted.
I was almost tempted to write to Steve Larsson to seek advice.

Kind Regards
Kirra
Kirra1981
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Next

Return to New South Wales gun laws