NSW - Sound Moderators - Legally purchased through form P638

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW - Sound Moderators - Legally purchased through form

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jun 2018, 10:52 pm

NTSOG wrote:My cattle don't react at all to rimfire or centre-fire shots even with me shooting in the same paddock, but my wife's horse is a complete nutter - if he was human he would have a psychiatric diagnosis - and runs around his paddock like a mad hare. Other horses we have had did not react to gun shots at all.

Jim

Yep, I hate being around horses even when I'm not shooting, complete nutcases.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 16 May 2020, 7:01 pm

Sorry to hijack, but a search only turned this thread up in relation.
What is the legality of an integrally suppressed barrel ?
As opposed to a “silencer” attached rendering the firearm prohibited.
Attached being the key word.

Looking at this https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/08/15/kgmade-ticho-cz455/
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 May 2020, 7:31 pm

I think an integral suppressor would defeat the part of the law that that talks about "attaching" or "modifying" a firearm to reduce its signature, but I doubt anybody would get clearance to import it. Air-rifles with integral suppressors were allowed in for a very short time before the suppressors had to be gutted for importation. To defeat importation an integrally-suppressed firearm would have to be manufactured here, and I still doubt it would be allowed.

womble wrote:Sorry to hijack, but a search only turned this thread up in relation.
What is the legality of an integrally suppressed barrel ?
As opposed to a “silencer” attached rendering the firearm prohibited.
Attached being the key word.

Looking at this https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/08/15/kgmade-ticho-cz455/
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 May 2020, 1:55 am

G'day wombie,
Totally illegal here in Vic, attaching has nothing to do with it. The Law is specific regarding whether it is an attachment or a built in part of the firearm, or even not part of the firearm at all (ie: shooting through a padded pipe) have a read of the Act, Section 3, Sub-Section 1, "Silencer" (page 180, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 17 May 2020, 5:18 am

Thanks guys
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 17 May 2020, 10:42 am

Yo No1Mk3, Interesting read on hourse culls, thought this might be of interest and could have something to do under "W.H.& S.?

FERAL HORSES TO BE CULLED _VIC - "Given the current circumstances, Parks Victoria will be commencing an additional technique to control horses. Small-team operations will be deployed into high-conservation priority locations where ground-based professional shooters will use thermal imaging and noise suppressors to cull free-ranging feral horses, under strict animal welfare protocols with expert equine veterinary oversight. This will complement the current bushfire recovery works that have removed more than 1,300 deer from fire impacted areas in eastern Victoria."
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Ricochet » 17 May 2020, 11:50 am

Edited.
A couple of years ago in Canberra the police commissioner gave the OK to use silencers or suppressors for contract shooters an a roo cull. Someone found the commissioners choice to be invalid and they then tried to have police charge all cullers who had gone ahead and used them effectively with permission from the AFP. Police commissioner put his foot down and said no way, my mistake and those shooters will not be charged.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 May 2020, 3:06 pm

G'day RoginaJack,
That is a good read, and the Act does provide an exemption for pro shooters engaged in culling even though it is still very hard to get an approval and I only know of 2 people with them. If the bozos can see the clear need for the brumby cull to happen with them, why on God's Green Earth can't they see fox, dog, rabbit and roo cullers near habitation also needing them? But as I say to young folk getting into shooting, don't look for common sense in our gun laws, you will only get eye strain and a headache, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 17 May 2020, 3:14 pm

Apparently, the cull was carried out on a fairly regular basis over a few years and Silencers were used.

On another occasion N.Z. shooters were used for a goat cull and permission was granted for silencers use. The N.Z. boys brought the gear in with them. Their use is encouraged over there.

Why the double standards?
Last edited by RoginaJack on 17 May 2020, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 17 May 2020, 3:20 pm

You're better off wasting your time trying to have them legalised without needing a permit than you are arsing about trying to get approved for one
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 19 May 2020, 7:06 am

Huge wallaby cull occurred on Maria island last year, just off Tassie east coast. There was an outcry about the planned cull, with the usuals calling for relocations etc. the govt mandated the use of suppressors so the sound did not travel across the water and antagonise the public...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by BigKev74 » 26 Aug 2020, 12:10 pm

Applied for mine back in April. I'm a Cat C (Primary Production) holder in an area that's pretty close to houses, it'd be great if I could get one. Yet to hear anything back, not even a whisper.

For those of you that managed to actually get it, how long did it take?
BigKev74
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Aug 2020, 12:22 pm

Watch this video - This poor bugger went via the ringer and still got declined...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7h20M8IldPQ
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Previous

Return to New South Wales gun laws