Eligibility for a firearms licence?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Eligibility for a firearms licence?

Post by Chefton » 07 May 2014, 11:37 pm

I'm looking for some information on how previous criminal convictions may affect my eligibility to obtain a Cat A/B firearms licence in QLD.

I have convictions from more than 5 years ago, but fewer than 10 years, relating to theft/dishonesty charges.

I've searched for more info about this, but have gotten answers ranging from "Only violent offences / drug use within the past 5 years are considered", to "ANY criminal charge within the past 10 years would be declined a licence". The QLD Police site states this; http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/w ... efault.htm

Does anyone know for sure what the QLD policy is?

I'm looking at getting into target/range shooting, and maybe some small-game hunting on a Cat A/B licence if it makes any difference.
Chefton
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Eligibility for a firearms licence?

Post by Baldrick314 » 08 May 2014, 5:34 am

Welcome to the forum mate. Your best bet is to contact the firearms registry for your state. They'll be able to give you the absolute correct info.
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by chilliman » 08 May 2014, 7:40 am

According to the links you posted, theft convictions do not appear to disqualify you since your conviction was greater than five years ago.

The 'fit and proper' person criteria does seem vague though and could be open to liberal interpretation by the licencing body.

Baldrick's advice is good - best for you to phone the registry.
Mark

Gamo Hunter IGT .22
Weihrauch HW60J .22lr
223 + 308 5R's have arrived
Lee Enfield #4

get some
chilliman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 08 May 2014, 2:07 pm

Hey Chefton,

I'm going from memory on this, but I'm pretty confident this is correct.

The 5 or 10 year prohibition is related to the crime you were convicted of.

Dishonesty convictions for things like common theft have the 5 year limit.

The 10 year limit is for more serious crimes like drug trafficking etc.

Sticking to the basic dishonesty conviction. When convicted, you are automatically a 'prohibited person' and not a 'fit and proper person' for 5 years.

After that, if you keep your nose clean and everything is above board you're no longer prohibited from obtaining a license/firearm and are once again 'fit and proper'.

You can still be prohibited for a duration of time without conviction under certain circumstances too. If for example you've been accused of violence of threatening violence, or have been charged but not yet convicted of a crime you'll likely be treated as not 'fit and proper' until the police decide not to charge you for whatever you're accused of, or you go to court and are found not guilty.

From what you've explained in your post I believe you are now able to apply for your license and should not be knocked back.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Lyam » 08 May 2014, 2:12 pm

I'm pretty sure the 'prohibited person' periods are the same across the country, regardless of the state.

5 or 10 years depending on the crime when convicted in your state or any other state.
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 08 May 2014, 2:16 pm

I can confirm the last half of Norton's story there about being temporarily prohibited without conviction.

A colleague of mine's marriage had been on the rocks for a while and he recently went through a messy break up.

In a vindictive act his ex told the police he made threats about going out and hurting people.

As a result, his license was suspended and he was temporarily not a fit and proper person while they investigated.

In the end there was of course no evidence and they did not press any charges. His license was reinstated and it was back to business as normal.

Took about a year though. Not because it was complicated, I think more because there wasn't really anything to investigate and the cops had better things to do.

All sorted, just a pain in the ass for the guy.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Chefton » 08 May 2014, 9:59 pm

Thanks for the help everyone. Norton, that's exactly the info I was looking for, what you said is the overall impression on the matter I have gotten from searching around too.

Didn't get around to calling the firearms registry people today, I'll give them a call in the morning. I stopped in at the local police station on my to work to get some forms, and asked the officer if he knew anything on the legislation, he described my history as "nothing serious", so I'm hoping that the Licencing people see it the same way.

Hopefully it goes well, I haven't done any shooting since about 12 years ago as a Junior. Really keen to get back into it!
Chefton
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Norton » 09 May 2014, 12:08 pm

No problem mate.

Hope you get it sorted.

Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Vati » 09 May 2014, 12:11 pm

Chefton wrote:I stopped in at the local police station on my to work to get some forms, and asked the officer if he knew anything on the legislation, he described my history as "nothing serious", so I'm hoping that the Licencing people see it the same way.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

It doesn't matter how they see it, it's what the legislation dictates. (Though I'll admit, there are definitely a few people in the licensing dept who are anti-gun. In my experience anyway.)

You made your mistake, you paid the price, now you should be able to get a license again.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 09 May 2014, 12:12 pm

Vati wrote:(Though I'll admit, there are definitely a few people in the licensing dept who are anti-gun. In my experience anyway.)

I've spoken to one or two (and others who were great and very helpful).

God knows why they got a job in a firearms registry though...
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Norton » 09 May 2014, 12:14 pm

AusC wrote:God knows why they got a job in a firearms registry though...

So they can have some tenuous shred of power for their ego and try and make life difficult for other people they don't agree with.

Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws