Qld Weapons Licencing needs a rocket.

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Qld Weapons Licencing needs a rocket.

Post by GQshayne » 10 Nov 2019, 5:42 pm

My cousin applied for his licence in February, and finally got it about two weeks ago. Two delays, first one was lost paperwork, second was confirming some details. Both their mistakes. He had to ring to find out why the delay, they never contacted him on either occasion. Hopeless, for a service we are paying for.

But the PTA's he applied for were not done, and he had to wait further. After 7 months!!! Anyway, it was only another week, so not too bad. The PTA's are for rifles held by me and my father. Dad has my cousins grandfathers BSA .22lr, and I have a BLR that we bought for him as a 50th birthday present (you are right in what you are thinking - I am a good bloke :lol: )

So we arranged to go to a gun shop in Brizzy to do the transfers, and buy him some cleaning gear. So he gets to my place and I get his BLR out of my safe, and put it in his gun case ( I bought him that too - told you I was a good bloke :allegedly: ). Then I said to him "Better check the PTA's", so he gets them out. The one for the BSA looks good. The next one was not:

Make : Browning
Action : Bolt
Serial number : Completed!!!!!!!! :o
Model : Leupold

I ask him about the serial number, and he says their is no way he filled it out. As an aside, anyone that has been to Rebel Gun Works in Brizzy will no doubt have seen their humorous sings in the shop on the subject. :D

And the serial number was wrong. Bad. We were stuffed. But that number looked familiar...……

Weapons Licencing has looked at the seller (me) and have looked for the rifle to get the details. But I have 3 BLR's and they have used the wrong one. Not that they should be doing that in my opinion. So we abandoned our trip, and realised it would have been worse if we had got to Brisbane before figuring out they had stuffed it up.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Qld Weapons Licencing needs a rocket.

Post by GQshayne » 10 Nov 2019, 5:45 pm

Who knows where they got "Leupold" from. :problem:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 14 Nov 2019, 4:15 pm

If somebody could collate and print all their stuff ups it would amount to a set of encyclopaedia s instead of just one book
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ricochet » 14 Nov 2019, 5:57 pm

NSWFAR are just as bad. Got photo done and 3 weeks later no licence. I call them and they say i have to wait for another photo advice letter and go and get another photo done.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 14 Nov 2019, 9:15 pm

Yes, considering we pay for this we get very poor service.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 15 Nov 2019, 9:24 am

You blokes are not alone, Vic LRD have fallen that far they could pick up whale poo in the Marianas Trench. Applied for some permits last month, got 2 on the 4th, just rang today to see where the others are and they missed them! Next week she said, bummer. Notice they have taken the phone number off the website also, good thing I have it written down. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 11 Dec 2019, 7:43 pm

The story continues...…… :problem:

Cousin finally gets the amended PTA - serial number is still incorrect!!!!!! :thumbsdown: So he contacts them to advise it is wrong, and the say "No it isn't". They are looking on my record and state they have it right. Cousin sends me a text to tell me they have advised I have to take it to a gun shop to be inspected, no doubt fill out some forms and pay more fees, and then they will issue a new PTA.

Me - not happy. :x :thumbsdown:

So I dig out the PTA from when I bought it, and it is correct. I email a copy of it to Weapons Licensing. I also send a link to the Browning web site that shows all serial numbers for the rifle concerned, and point out to them that the number they have recorded does not exist in the manufacturers records.

I also said some other stuff I won't bother you with. - not happy though. I did manage to include the word "preposterous" :crazy:

I sent the email last night, and today they have resolved the problem. PTA can simply be amended by gun shop when we do the transfer, and they will amend their records on completion. I have printed a copy of this email from them. Not that I don't trust them though. :roll:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Dec 2019, 8:13 pm

Be careful CQshayne I bought a 303 from a mate 3yrs ago GS sighted the rifle and serial number filled out PTA and sent away all done well not quiet I received a weapons inspection last month and guess what it had not been put onto my licence some where prior to me buying it the weapons licence had a digit missing from the serial number the one I had or the GS had put down was the right one but I was never notified of the stuff up because I presume it was their stuff up 3yrs I had that rifle which was still licenced to my mate so I rang the WLB then sent them a copy of the original PTA they said they'd sort it but haven't heard from them since so I wouldn't trust them to get it sorted i'd be onto them every day until it's sorted which I intend to do soon
Member-Deleted

Post by geoff » 12 Dec 2019, 8:58 am

Not any better here in the west. Whwn i bought my tikka, Firearms Licencing sent my licence to me with the make listed as Beretta despite all the paperwork i submitted being correct. That was back in April and they still haven't sorted it out.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by GQshayne » 12 Dec 2019, 7:11 pm

Yep, I think trusting them to do their bit is a bad idea - we need to check everything they do.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wapiti » 13 Dec 2019, 10:50 am

My wife has had her paperwork in for an occupational licence in for over 18 months now I think. Initially did everything as required for the application, then after 5 months, message, more required. Proof from accountant re. Business that required firearms. Did that, paid more $$. Then wait again.
Next few months, email stating incorrect forms used in initial application. Despite the previous accountant request not mentioning this. Back to step one. Do everything again, on what turned out to be the exact same paperwork.
Wait again for more months. Then, request for proof she needs firearms to protect stock and pasture. Needs to see photo proof of stock to protect, farm machinery and infrastructure to back up proof of the business (despite previous accountants info, and me also holding 4 occ licence categories already), and why feral animals cause problems and what issues they create (despite this being in the initial application) with demended time limit of 28 days or licence appliction cancelled.
Now, still waiting.

Now, I don't at all think this is due to "Weapons Licensing" bumbling this up so hopelessly. I think this quite frankly is proof of a certain police agenda.
Wapiti
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 13 Dec 2019, 9:17 pm

Wapiti wrote:My wife has had her paperwork in for an occupational licence in for over 18 months now I think. Initially did everything as required for the application, then after 5 months, message, more required. Proof from accountant re. Business that required firearms. Did that, paid more $$. Then wait again.
Next few months, email stating incorrect forms used in initial application. Despite the previous accountant request not mentioning this. Back to step one. Do everything again, on what turned out to be the exact same paperwork.
Wait again for more months. Then, request for proof she needs firearms to protect stock and pasture. Needs to see photo proof of stock to protect, farm machinery and infrastructure to back up proof of the business (despite previous accountants info, and me also holding 4 occ licence categories already), and why feral animals cause problems and what issues they create (despite this being in the initial application) with demended time limit of 28 days or licence appliction cancelled.
Now, still waiting.

Now, I don't at all think this is due to "Weapons Licensing" bumbling this up so hopelessly. I think this quite frankly is proof of a certain police agenda.

It is hard to argue against that isn't it????? It seems to happen all too often. It really does suggest that there is a process being followed that deliberately makes the processing of applications protracted. And this is not a new problem, or new legislation either. This is old news, and easily rectified. But it continues to happen.

What you have stated has been the case with your wife, was what happened to my cousin too. Lost documents, missing info etc etc. Licence application was perfect, as was the PTA application. In my cousins case, he completed his training course and made application in February. How can Weapons Licencing defend this time frame for processing???? This is a service which we pay for, it should be better. Last rifle I bought cost me $550, and govt enforced fees cost $200 all up. It is a high price for a poor service.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 15 Dec 2019, 10:46 am

Wapiti wrote:My wife has had her paperwork in for an occupational licence in for over 18 months now I think. Initially did everything as required for the application, then after 5 months, message, more required. Proof from accountant re. Business that required firearms. Did that, paid more $$. Then wait again.
Now, still waiting.

Tell them to shove their licence
Your in QLD and we have an exception Clause for occupational. Your wife doesn't need a license being direct family went through this and posted the letter from weapons licensing here
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=11024

In short the only reason to bother with a licence for your wife is so she can pick up ammo - but then you wouldn't have an excuse to go to the gun shop
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wapiti » 16 Dec 2019, 10:15 am

Know all about operating under family or employee requirement.
We operate that way now re. The property Cat H and C.

She wants it, because she has other choices than I have, and wants her own, as she operates a number of businesses, and my stuff is licensed to my properties only, as is the system.
Can't do that without it., definitely can't if telling them to shove it.

Personally, its there, so she's giving it a go. She's got my complete support. It's the way it plays out that is frustrating.
Wapiti
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Dec 2019, 5:51 am

Wapiti wrote:Now, I don't at all think this is due to "Weapons Licensing" bumbling this up so hopelessly. I think this quite frankly is proof of a certain police agenda.

+1

Frankly, this just further indicates what a low standard of police leadership we have.
Just have to look at what has been going on in Vic with the lawyer x inquiry. Along with a few other inquiries held over the years into police corruption.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 23 Dec 2019, 2:09 pm

Don't use paper based license applications in QLD

Our safety course trainer advised that WLB will just sit them in a pile for 6 months or more and ignore them as they want to encourage use of the online system only, obviously during that delay and also in the nature of 'pile of paper' applications there is a very high chance of things being misplaced.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 25 Dec 2019, 10:14 am

I transferred from ACT to QLD 5 years ago. A&B and H, until i had both licences and all the right guns on the licenses with corrects endorsements took 11 months.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Queensland gun laws