Licensing in Qld

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Licensing in Qld

Post by headspace » 08 May 2014, 7:42 pm

I've been hearing some horror stories about delays in PTA's and licenses in Queensland due to the new on line system they introduced.

As I intend moving up to North Qld very soon and will have to change my license over I'm wondering about how this is going.

Any improvements?

JD :?:
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Licensing in Qld

Post by Bauer » 08 May 2014, 8:19 pm

I think there's a 3 month wait
Bauer
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by pajamatime » 09 May 2014, 11:29 am

Yeah, about 3 months give or take.

I got my id check in about 2 months I think?
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brisb » 09 May 2014, 2:14 pm

I says something to the effect of 'if it hasn't been 12 weeks since you submitted your paperwork don't call us to follow up'

Shutup and wait is the basic message at the moment I think.
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Norton » 09 May 2014, 2:15 pm

3 months has been about right from what I hear over the past few months.

Permits are in a similar boat. Depends on the workload but some are getting turned around in a fortnight, others take months depending on your luck.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Aster » 09 May 2014, 2:15 pm

Move to Victoria instead :lol:
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Baz460 » 10 May 2014, 10:57 am

Hi.

Lodged a PTA over the internet, a couple of months ago, and received it in a week, previously a couple of months.

Baz.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 10 May 2014, 12:20 pm

Just submitted my AB in late February, H in late April, transfers with firearms in possession, no safety course etc, haven't got anything yet. Called up about AB last week and was told to wait at least 12 weeks, was told at the pistol club that some members had waited 8 months for their H.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Combat_Wombat » 10 May 2014, 3:14 pm

I submitted my application just before they started the online system and I took nearly 18 months
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Baz460 » 10 May 2014, 6:33 pm

Took me 8 Months to get my Handgun License..........then an additional 5 months to get Large Calibre Endorsement.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 10 May 2014, 10:27 pm

Yes, the waiting time for Licences is nothing short of scandalous. Actually the whole system for licences and Permit to Acquire (PTO) in Queensland is in need of a overhaul. Waiting time for licences of up to 7 months is the norm. A new computer system was installed in 2013 and as far as I can see, no improvement has resulted. The staff at Weapons Licencing Branch (WLB) can only do what they can with the staff and resources that they have.

I've spoken to SSAA (QLD) about this delay and was informed that "they have and are keeping in contact with the WLB" blah, blah, blah. I feel that the minister should be the one to have his tree rattled and if the WLB needs more resources or staff so be it.

We are only individuals and therefore are easily fobbed off but the sport shooting and hunting clubs and organisations should be vigorously pursuing the minister on behalf of the members to fix this problem. How dare a Government Department tell applicants to allow 12 weeks before making contact. AND I don't like the use of the word "WEAPONS"...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Baz460 » 11 May 2014, 7:23 am

Well said.

After getting my last PTA, Nov last year, in a week, which was great, trying to get my licenses endorsed for a large cal handgun was a totally different story.

I thought it would also take only a week................but 3 calls to WLB achieved nothing, then it was suggested, by one of the WLB members to email the team leader with regards to the delay, and the fact that I did not realise how long this process would take and I had purchased the handgun in the States back when I put the paper work in mid December..........No Reply, (and this had been going on for 4 months before I emailed him)

Next step I was going to contact our local member, and then I thought, waste of time, so I sent an email of to the Minister of Police, and what do you know, in 8 days I had two 'Extremely Helpful and Polite' phone calls from WLB saying my Import application and PTA, had both been approved.........shouldn't have to go through all that in this day and age, with all our computer technology.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Norton » 11 May 2014, 2:51 pm

Sad state of affairs when written complaints are about the only option for law abiding citizens to have their rightful applications processed.

IMO.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by headspace » 11 May 2014, 6:12 pm

Gawd, there some horror stories there! I won't be moving up to Mareeba until later this year so maybe some backlog will be cleared by then.

In any case I'm told that with a valid NSW license it should be pretty painless.

After that it's going be another PTA thing. I want a 9.3x62Mauser, but I want it now!

JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brisb » 12 May 2014, 9:16 am

headspace wrote:In any case I'm told that with a valid NSW license it should be pretty painless.

I'll believe it when I see it :lol:
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by ebr love » 12 May 2014, 9:28 am

headspace wrote:In any case I'm told that with a valid NSW license it should be pretty painless.

All sweet lies to lure you up there :lol:
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 26 Jun 2014, 3:34 pm

THE NEXT CHAPTER - after submitting an application for a Weapons Licence online, waiting 6-8 weeks and then getting a email from WLB to report to a nominated Police Station for ID verification, what happens next, nothing!

After providing proof of ID, make sure that the "Police Station Use Only" section of the form is completed and returned to you for your records.

May I suggest that you send of a email in the next day or 2 to WLB, confirming that you have attended the police station as directed and attach a scanned copy of the completed form, 'for you information".

I waited 3 weeks after attending etc, sent of an email re issue of licence and received a reply requesting I send through a copy of the completed Police Use only section as the police station has not stamped and signed the copy so that WLB can follow up the ID check ASAP.

Now, bearing in mind that should the information have not been RECEIVED by the due date, WLB considers that you have withdrawn your application. Note the wording of the email is "RECEIVED" and not "ATTENDED". So I assume that should your paperwork go astray or is not completed and forwarded to WLB by the due date the application is deemed to have been withdrawn.

Anyone else run into similar problems?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 26 Jun 2014, 10:27 pm

It's taken a while, but all my stuff has gone through in time?

No such problems.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws