Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Post by rc42 » 10 Jan 2021, 4:11 pm

I submitted a PTA for a second rifle a couple of weeks after picking up my first rifle, the PTA approval email said that approval had been granted but would not be formally sent until a date 28 days in the future due to mandatory wait times.

I sent a scan of my completed PTA document from the first rifle to WLB by email and advised that this should be under my license so making me wait for an additional 28 days was not lawful. Not sure if I used the best wording but the dealer received the approved version of the PTA a couple of days later.

The completed paperwork from dealers is sent back to WLB for them to update the registry but it is the lowest priority work that they do so it can take months to never for some of this information to be updated.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Nails » 11 Jan 2021, 7:41 pm

Thanks rc42,
That’s a good point, I tried calling today, but due to covid lockdown a message says they’re not available. I’ll try again tomorrow and send a scan of previously approved PTAs if necessary.
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Nails » 12 Jan 2021, 4:31 pm

Well, some good news. I rang weapons licensing and the PTA section told me I had no 28 day waits, but strangely wouldn’t tell me if any guns were registered against my AB licence, just said the latest one was with the others whatever that means. She then put me through to licensing section so I could check the wait on my Cat H application, which I thought was at 17 weeks, but while waiting (caller 15 in queue) I rechecked and its only at 13 weeks, so when the lady answered I was apologetic about calling too early, blah blah blah, anyway cut a long story short, 3 hours later I got my email approval for my Cat H...
The only catch is I haven’t got my PTA in for the pistol yet, so that one will be a 28 day wait, or is it longer for first handgun? I pick up the club letter in a couple of days and plan to submit the PTA at the gunshop when I pick up the new lever action 44. That should keep me going for a few weeks while I’m waiting anyway haha
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by CTW » 13 Jan 2021, 4:13 pm

Why are pta's taking so long to process? Put in an application on 30 December and still nothing. Called WL yesterday being as nice and polite as always and got told to just be patient. Did not even want to look at the application. I get the fact that there were a few holidays but it still seems long in comparison to the usual.
CTW
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nails » 14 Jan 2021, 10:13 am

I’ve only waited a week but expected one week would be enough since its my 5th gun on my AB licence,(some here have had approval within 24hours) so I paid for the new gun in full thinking I’d have it in a week or two. I’m going to call them again today and be persistent but polite, hopefully I’ll get someone with a bit of personality this time
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Nails » 14 Jan 2021, 10:28 am

I just called them, not much luck getting a quick turnaround, they told me they’re processing December still and mine will be a couple more weeks. They told me Christmas and Easter are always longer because so many people go out and buy guns at these times which is probably true. I guess they handle every PTA from every gunshop across QLD so they would have a lot to process.
At least yours can’t be too far away CTW
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by CTW » 18 Jan 2021, 3:56 pm

Nails wrote:I just called them, not much luck getting a quick turnaround, they told me they’re processing December still and mine will be a couple more weeks. They told me Christmas and Easter are always longer because so many people go out and buy guns at these times which is probably true. I guess they handle every PTA from every gunshop across QLD so they would have a lot to process.
At least yours can’t be too far away CTW

Looks like we just need to play the waiting game. Hopefully things speed up a little. Good luck.
CTW
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Chinballs » 19 Jan 2021, 12:11 am

Nails wrote:plan to submit the PTA at the gunshop

Why though? Just do it online once you have your club letter.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Insert random name » 20 Jan 2021, 9:47 am

Placed a PTA for a CatB on 31/12/20 and just got the approval email this morning, now the next wait for it to go to the dealer.
Insert random name
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by CTW » 20 Jan 2021, 4:32 pm

And finally pta is approved. Submitted Cat B on 30/12/20.
CTW
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nails » 20 Jan 2021, 5:37 pm

Thanks for the news, that means if they can keep up with the number lodged each day, I have another 8 days (plus lagtime to send to the dealer) to wait... submitted mine 8/1/21. I hope they can process faster than that, fingers crossed.

Is there any reason why they don’t just cc the dealer and attach the approved permit when they send the email to the buyer?
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Insert random name » 21 Jan 2021, 12:56 pm

"This email is to advise that your application for a Permit to Acquire for the below weapon has been approved and will be forwarded to you after quality assurance checks have been undertaken."

I suppose it has to go over to the desk with the biggest rubber stamp/
Insert random name
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Insert random name » 21 Jan 2021, 6:38 pm

The AOK paperwork was sent to the shop today a touch over 24hrs after confirmation email to me. One happy chappy here.
Insert random name
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nails » 21 Jan 2021, 11:36 pm

Rubber Stamp lol, glad to hear and just in time for the long weekend!. So what are you getting?
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 22 Jan 2021, 12:21 am

Insert random name wrote:"This email is to advise that your application for a Permit to Acquire for the below weapon has been approved and will be forwarded to you after quality assurance checks have been undertaken."
p/

If you asked for a paper copy of the PTA to be sent by post it will arrive in about 2 weeks but if you asked for it to be emailed to the dealer directly they should receive it in about 2 days. If you have your license card you'll be able to pick up your firearm as soon as it does.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Insert random name » 23 Jan 2021, 6:32 am

Nails wrote:Rubber Stamp lol, glad to hear and just in time for the long weekend!. So what are you getting?

I picked up a LA102 .308 on thursday arvo. Haven't had a shot of it yet, that will be later in the week.
Insert random name
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Insert random name » 23 Jan 2021, 6:34 am

rc42 wrote:If you asked for a paper copy of the PTA to be sent by post it will arrive in about 2 weeks but if you asked for it to be emailed to the dealer directly they should receive it in about 2 days. If you have your license card you'll be able to pick up your firearm as soon as it does.

The shop received the final PTA the next day, all in all given the time of year and everything else going on I am happy enough.
Insert random name
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Husky243 » 25 Jan 2021, 7:00 pm

Submitted PTA on the 7/12 and haven’t heard anything. I know I’ve got to wait 28 days being my first pta but should it take this long?
Husky243
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 27 Jan 2021, 1:17 pm

The PTA 'pre-approval' email should come through much sooner, it will advise that your PTA 'will be approved on' and give a date which is 28 days after your application.
That's for category A though, other categories take much longer so if you're after a B or H it is still not an unusual delay.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Husky243 » 27 Jan 2021, 7:13 pm

rc42 wrote:The PTA 'pre-approval' email should come through much sooner, it will advise that your PTA 'will be approved on' and give a date which is 28 days after your application.
That's for category A though, other categories take much longer so if you're after a B or H it is still not an unusual delay.

Thanks for clarifying. I’ve applied for cat B and yes I should of mentioned I got the email to say they received PTA application
Husky243
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Ozzymozzy » 28 Jan 2021, 2:40 pm

Hi all, newbie here. Applied for Cat A,B and C license + one PTA on17th july 2020, as of today im still waiting. Called WLB a week ago, was told it had been approved but just needed to go through quality control then Person read out condition codes. Thought i would have got approval email by now
Ozzymozzy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Quirinus » 19 Mar 2021, 8:22 am

Submitted AB&H early November '20, got acknowledgment exactly 16 weeks later and cards 10 working days after that. Helps to apply around your birthday so you get heaps of extra time added on. :)
Quirinus
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Jumanji » 23 Mar 2021, 9:57 pm

Applied for my License Jan 18th - Going on 10 weeks now - Spoke to Weapons licensing today for an update and they are only processing end of November application now.

2 weeks ago the phone message said please wait 15-20 weeks before calling, this has now been revised to a "please wait 12 weeks" before calling.

Pretty well over the wait at this point :(
Jumanji
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Jumanji » 06 Apr 2021, 12:34 pm

Update - Weapons licensing up to the end of 1st week of December.

Recommended I put in a fast track request if I had any competitions or work that I needed the license for earlier, found an upcoming comp and shot them an email saying I wanted to compete...

Will update with a response.
Jumanji
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 06 Apr 2021, 1:04 pm

What is fast track ? Does it cost extra?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Jumanji » 06 Apr 2021, 1:48 pm

Its simply a request made to Weapons Licensing for them to expedite your license approval, it's not guaranteed to be approved but at this point I'm over the 3+ month wait so if requiring it for a competition speeds up my process by all means I'll shoot a competition.

I'll see what the out come is.
Jumanji
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 06 Apr 2021, 4:33 pm

I would rather pay 100 Extra bucks and get some speedy result. Waiting for anything is no fun
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by jimboslice » 06 Apr 2021, 11:05 pm

Hey here is an update on current wait times. When I applied in November the expected wait time listed on QLD police website was 17-20 weeks.
- applied for cat A/B on 23/11/20
- email approval received 19/03/21 - 16 weeks and 4 days from applied to approved
- licence in mail received 06/04/21 - 18 days to receive the physical card in the mail (although you could say Easter public holidays may have held that one up)

As Quirinus mentioned, if you have the opportunity to apply just after your birthday then they will extend the licence expiry until your following birthday, i.e. paid for 10 years but got given 11 years :D
jimboslice
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Jumanji » 09 Apr 2021, 12:47 pm

Still no updates on the fast track request, followed up today as I have now reached 12 weeks.

Was told it was received and is being processed by the team leader, they wouldn't provide an ETA or anything for processing the license or the Fast track request.

1/4 of a YEAR to process a license application is a genuine joke.
Jumanji
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 09 Apr 2021, 1:06 pm

i put in a pta for a 22lr , 24.5 hrs later i got the approval email :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

PreviousNext