Required weapon state - Action broken

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Required weapon state - Action broken

Post by pajamatime » 30 Nov 2014, 5:11 pm

what does the terminology 'action broken' actually mean in relation to break action shotguns?
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Required weapon state - Action broken

Post by KWhorenet » 30 Nov 2014, 5:13 pm

doesn't it just mean action is open exposing the bores
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by pajamatime » 30 Nov 2014, 5:20 pm

KWhorenet wrote:doesn't it just mean action is open exposing the bores

i have got mixed answers to this to be honest and now i question whether or not i really knew in the first place lol
the terminology 'action broken' seems to be a Australian law enforcement/political terminology not really used in any other part of the world, or at least not that i'm aware of.

edit: i have heard, its another way of saying 'decock' and also opening and exposing the bores, which is what you just said...which one?
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by KWhorenet » 30 Nov 2014, 5:26 pm

if you also think of springer air rifles, a break action is just like a break shotgun in that to load it you need to 'break' the action.

*just checked wiki and others and that's pretty much all it means.

if you have to have it in the broken state I presume that its so others can see it is in an un fireable state, loaded or not etc
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by pajamatime » 30 Nov 2014, 5:34 pm

hmm yeah, i guess what i'm also wondering is why such terminology is not more clearly explained in literature because it appears there is some confusion around it. i for one can not find the Term 'action broken' anywhere? i mean we all know what 'break action' means but i'm not sure everyone is too solid on the meaning of 'action broken' ? i to thought it meant to break the action open.
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Nov 2014, 5:52 pm

I don't have any weapons, only shotguns and rifles so I can't help with that one sorry. Maybe someone who's in the armed forces can help, they use weapons from my understanding, as they use them to kill people.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by KWhorenet » 30 Nov 2014, 6:04 pm

break action- type of action

action broken- state of the break type action

break the action- act of opening a break action

I don't think there is any more to it.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by pajamatime » 30 Nov 2014, 6:06 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I don't have any weapons, only shotguns and rifles so I can't help with that one sorry. Maybe someone who's in the armed forces can help, they use weapons from my understanding, as they use them to kill people.

while i 100% agree with you on that it was in reference to this https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/ ... /howto.htm
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by KWhorenet » 30 Nov 2014, 6:11 pm

clearly they are stating if it is a break action type then break the action i.e. open it.

shows it is unloaded and cant be fired in that state.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by pajamatime » 30 Nov 2014, 6:13 pm

KWhorenet wrote:clearly they are stating if it is a break action type then break the action i.e. open it.

shows it is unloaded and cant be fired in that state.

yeah that is how I understood it.
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Nov 2014, 6:26 pm

pajamatime wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I don't have any weapons, only shotguns and rifles so I can't help with that one sorry. Maybe someone who's in the armed forces can help, they use weapons from my understanding, as they use them to kill people.

while i 100% agree with you on that it was in reference to this https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/ ... /howto.htm

Don't fall for the Govt's little trick mate - we know we don't use them as weapons so why call em that hey. ;) (not having a go at you by the way)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by 1290 » 30 Nov 2014, 6:54 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
pajamatime wrote:

Don't fall for the Govt's little trick mate - we know we don't use them as weapons so why call em that hey. ;) (not having a go at you by the way)

TheBigfella has hit the nail on the head....

A weapon is ANYTHING both designed and intended (stop and think about that for a sec) to be used to kill or injure another person.... dont give me the what about animals and rifles as weapons for hunting animals... only PETA think animals are people....

Army uses weapons;... these may be firearms, knifes, and anything that goes bang or boom.
Police carry weapons;.... handguns, longarms, batons, sprays.

Civilians, me and you are not permitted to carry or possess weapons ALTHOUGH, should it be necessary the knife, golf clubs, tyre irons or heck even our firearms that we possess, have the capability of being used as weapons one day....hopefully not.

Civilian firearm owners in Australia possess firearms, guns, rifles, longarms shotguns not weapons... but those who seek to demonise firearm owners and institute more controls use the term WEAPON..... if the sheeple can be instilled with more fear, by any means.... then it makes it easier to get those insideous laws through, and certainly to keep the existing ones in....

Yes, queensland firearm Act is called the WEAPONS act, they use the term just as the greens and other gun control lobby groups, for the reason described...

Lawful Firearm owners, learn to NOT use the double-u word... even if you think it sounds cool and more menacing, even if every hollywood movie or computer game uses the term, and correct your friends and acquaintances who use the term, its not about semantics but more than that...I would even correct the title of this thread....
OK, a broken (break action) shotty is one that has its action open. Broken as if you've broken a stick over your knee... its really that simple, why complicate matters.....
Last edited by 1290 on 30 Nov 2014, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Nov 2014, 7:32 pm

Beautifully put mate, you get it! ;) Don't give the pricks the satisfaction hey.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Warrigul » 30 Nov 2014, 8:38 pm

pajamatime wrote:what does the terminology 'action broken' actually mean in relation to break action shotguns?

In general it is a safety measure used at clay target clubs and some organised bird drives.

With the shotgun "broken" open it can readily be seen as safe. In fact it is considered "safe" to rest the muzzles of a broken gun on your shoe. A practice I have never been able to come to terms with even if it is safe.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by KWhorenet » 30 Nov 2014, 8:45 pm

1290, do you have that statement defining 'weapons' saved on your PC? Surely you don't sit and type it time n time again ;)

Maybe everyone could use their signature to place the simple short distinction for all and sundry
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by 1290 » 30 Nov 2014, 9:31 pm

KWhorenet wrote:1290, do you have that statement defining 'weapons' saved on your PC? Surely you don't sit and type it time n time again ;)

Maybe everyone could use their signature to place the simple short distinction for all and sundry

Theres not a lot to it... more of that^ was just ramblings....I didnt cover the improvised weapon part, A weapon does not need to be designed to injure, like a rock, a hammer... more so an object or a thing intended to be used or indeed used to injure a person. I think its that simple.

Not all guns are weapons and not all weapons are guns....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Westy » 01 Dec 2014, 7:26 am

Open ended legislation like this allows them to interpret the law as they will !!!!!! He pointed his finger at me and it was threating so it must be a weapon!!!! And with some of the assholes I've met I can't says I blame them!!!!! IMHO :evil: :roll: :twisted:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Korkt » 01 Dec 2014, 9:05 am

pajamatime wrote:hmm yeah, i guess what i'm also wondering is why such terminology is not more clearly explained in literature because it appears there is some confusion around it.

I'd say because most of the the people writing our legislation are too confused to explain anything clearly.

Can't be done when you don't know what you're talking about.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pajamatime » 02 Dec 2014, 3:48 pm

I didn't mean to offend by referencing what I did.

I merely was just trying to make a word for word reference in relation to "action broken" as they do expect us to store our break action shotguns with "action broken" (like that is going to stand up neatly in a safe though lol)

I personally break them down and store it in socks...I assume that is how most people would neatly store a break action shotgun unless there is some revolutionary way to store a break action with "action broken" upright for the most part straight without it folding into a mess lol?
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Dec 2014, 4:09 pm

pajamatime wrote:I didn't mean to offend by referencing what I did.
I merely was just trying to make a word for word reference in relation to "action broken" as they do expect us to store our break action shotguns with "action broken" (like that is going to stand up neatly in a safe though lol)

I personally break them down and store it in socks...I assume that is how most people would neatly store a break action shotgun unless there is some revolutionary way to store a break action with "action broken" upright for the most part straight without it folding into a mess lol?

I leave the SB as it is (action closed and fully assembled) the U/O I break down and store in silicon socks in the hard case it came in to protect it . I'm sure no one was offended mate ;)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by pajamatime » 02 Dec 2014, 6:11 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
pajamatime wrote:I didn't mean to offend by referencing what I did.

I leave the SB as it is (action closed and fully assembled) the U/O I break down and store in silicon socks in the hard case it came in to protect it . I'm sure no one was offended mate ;)

No worries. hard to tell on the good old internets.
btw what are SB and U/O abbreviations for? =)
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 02 Dec 2014, 6:15 pm

BFS is weaning himself into shotgunning.... SB single barrel and UO under over.... one day he'll get himself a real shotgun.. a (engraved) SxS Side by side... :D

Go Scotty!
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by pajamatime » 02 Dec 2014, 6:45 pm

1290 wrote:BFS is weaning himself into shotgunning.... SB single barrel and UO under over.... one day he'll get himself a real shotgun.. a (engraved) SxS Side by side... :D

Go Scotty!

ok excellent, yeah I guessed the SB one right, was not conclusive on the U/O one. makes sense though.

I won't take sides here but I will get me some popcorn ;) lol
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Dec 2014, 8:59 pm

1290 wrote:BFS is weaning himself into shotgunning.... SB single barrel and UO under over.... one day he'll get himself a real shotgun.. a (engraved) SxS Side by side... :D

Go Scotty!

Yeah maybe one day I might just get a S/S for something diff, not that I need another shotty :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by chacka » 03 Dec 2014, 12:41 pm

pajamatime wrote:I won't take sides here but I will get me some popcorn ;) lol

I'll get the drinks :D
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal