Correspondence in email. Mental and Criminal.

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Correspondence in email. Mental and Criminal.

Post by AusC » 02 Sep 2014, 3:08 pm

Shotfox wrote:Tend to agree Mecca. Im only a member because of the insurance.

Ditto.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Westy » 02 Sep 2014, 4:15 pm

Warrigul wrote:
Westy wrote:
Shotfox wrote:Tend to agree Mecca. Im only a member because of the insurance. I wouldnt hang your hat on the thought they may stick up for us and actually fight to win an argument for our rights.

The only thing they know about sticking up is everyone every weekend at the range!!!!The S.S.A.A are in bed with the powers to be making the rules they only exist to line their own pockets from our misfortune!!! I wouldn't be a member except I have too, just to maintain my license !!!!!! :twisted: :cry: :evil: I here Brisbane takes in $25000-00 per weekend now times that by 52 and by my reckoning that comes to 1.2 million a year and we can't even get the bloody lights fixed for Tuesday night silhouette shoots!!!! not to mention what they take during the week???? And that's only the Brisbane Club,money hungry Pigs!!!!!!

You could always go and join another club or form your own, I know there are at least two other organisations in your area.

I am so sick of people who whine about the SSAA but who aren't willing to put up their hand and help.

Yep me too!!Who's there early to set up and who turns off the light at 10-00pm Tuesday and Thursday night !!!! I help out alot and sometimes Warrigal the Bloody truth just plain hurts!!!!!! Were still waiting for our medals from over 2 months ago!!!!! Seriuos I'm a member of the QRA as well and 2 other clubs the SSAA is just s**ting me to tears at the moment!!!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 02 Sep 2014, 5:47 pm

Westy wrote:
Warrigul wrote:
Westy wrote:
Shotfox wrote:Tend to agree Mecca. Im only a member because of the insurance. I wouldnt hang your hat on the thought they may stick up for us and actually fight to win an argument for our rights.

The only thing they know about sticking up is everyone every weekend at the range!!!!The S.S.A.A are in bed with the powers to be making the rules they only exist to line their own pockets from our misfortune!!! I wouldn't be a member except I have too, just to maintain my license !!!!!! :twisted: :cry: :evil: I here Brisbane takes in $25000-00 per weekend now times that by 52 and by my reckoning that comes to 1.2 million a year and we can't even get the bloody lights fixed for Tuesday night silhouette shoots!!!! not to mention what they take during the week???? And that's only the Brisbane Club,money hungry Pigs!!!!!!

You could always go and join another club or form your own, I know there are at least two other organisations in your area.

I am so sick of people who whine about the SSAA but who aren't willing to put up their hand and help.

Yep me too!!Who's there early to set up and who turns off the light at 10-00pm Tuesday and Thursday night !!!! I help out alot and sometimes Warrigal the Bloody truth just plain hurts!!!!!! Were still waiting for our medals from over 2 months ago!!!!! Seriuos I'm a member of the QRA as well and 2 other clubs the SSAA is just s**ting me to tears at the moment!!!!!!

I am quite happy with the SSAA, of the six organisations I am a member of they are the most active and the second cheapest. Please don't hold the QRA and by association their governing body the NRAA up as a shining light as I know just how narrow minded and self serving the parent body is. The same can be said for PA.

As far as operationally at a local level you obviously have a problem that would be best fixed at club level by you being a part of the committee. Most comittees are comprised of members filling seats because no one else will put their hand up. This is a sterling opportunity for you to become involved at a decision making level and I am keen to hear how you go.

Bagging the SSAA in general because no one has fixed the lights is like getting the Prime Minister to fix the local garbage collection- it should be looked after locally and if it isn't- then vote the slack bastards out and fix it yourself, the same goes for fees. Speaking from personal experience, often the executive would love someone else to shoulder the burden or even hear some constructive comment from the floor. Quite often the only input received is moaning after the fact from the very people who said diddly squat when pointedly asked for ideas.

Any club is an organisation comprised of its members and it is never an easy fix but it should be guided by its constituents and work for them. Like you I also work many hours, during, before, after and inbetween shoots, to keep things running but am not presently a member of any committees as it is all working well and we have a competent executive so why interfere? I guess we are just lucky?

Let me know how you go, a couple of years and you should have it back on track.

I am not having a go at you, just suggesting how you may fix some of your issues.

Good luck.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by cuvy » 02 Sep 2014, 6:18 pm

Anyone have any experience with Shooters Union Queensland (as far as representation goes) ? Don't seem to have the ranges that SSAA has, but they do seem to make out that they're more for advocacy and support. Their membership is a lot cheaper and they still have the insurance and provide genuine reason, so could well be a viable alternative.
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by brisb » 03 Sep 2014, 7:57 pm

SSAA are definitely the biggest as far as ranges go.
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Westy » 03 Sep 2014, 8:24 pm

brisb wrote:SSAA are definitely the biggest as far as ranges go.

Biggest What??????? :lol: :D :)
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by brisb » 04 Sep 2014, 11:02 am

Biggest *oh no the forum blocked my words*

It's a mystery! :lol:

They'll just have to take my word I said nice things :D
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by shooting sports » 05 Sep 2014, 1:08 pm

MeccaOz wrote:Well at the moment a few of us are actually checking to see if we have a valid constitution here mate, things are a bit blurry, and the government since the 60's seems to be invalid, and all the laws since. In our original constitution handed down by the queen, we are allowed to be armed, seems even our militia is in fact NOT the army reserve. As shooters we fight almost daily to keep and extend the meagre rights we have, but there are alot things up in the air we need to have sorted out too.

Our present constitution (is exactly the same as our original 1901 one except for 3 additions) nowhere gives us the right to bear arms.

A few facts for the politically naive.
1/ ENGLISH common law does not apply here
2/ ENGLISH statute law does not apply here.
3/ Federal , State and territory laws are the only valid "laws of the land"
4/ All connection with any Archaic ENGLISH Laws was removed (with approval of the Queen) years ago.
All tinfoil wearing Aussies need to actually read the Australia constitution and the Australia Act.
Shooting Sports - My Name, My Passion, My Business
shooting sports
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AusC » 05 Sep 2014, 2:34 pm

How's it going Tikka?

Any progress?
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Sep 2014, 8:52 pm

It was only two years ago !

This is what I think is going to happen

"We have come to give you your gun license "
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by coloradoboy » 05 Sep 2014, 11:25 pm

fenderstrat wrote:
MeccaOz wrote:
coloradoboy wrote:sorry buddy, but I believe that you will be denied the license. Even in the United States and in gun-loving areas like Alaska and Arizona, Texas ( and possibly my state of Colorado) and even with our "...right to bear arms" enshrined in the constitution - if someone has a dependency to certain drugs or links to criminality or domestic violence, etc - you will be denied a purchase at the counter (and rightly so), and will be mostly definitely denied without question a concealed handgun license (CHL) / right to carry.

I can't imagine it being any different given my personal experience of the more restrictive regulations of Queensland / Australia.

It is a bit different here mate along those lines. If you prove that you are all squared away now and over your issues, you do have a shot at getting your license, even in Nazi Queensland ...

Australian fair go, mate

That is pretty goddamn weird. I have never ever been a fan of dishing out second chances to 'hardened' bad guys - try home invading me ahahahahaha :lol:. but in all seriousness, former cons should be allowed to re-acquaint with society but just not with firearms. a firearm is a potentially lethal tool and it is effectively designed to destroy - therefore a trustworthy and competent individual should only be accorded access. so if you dish out firearms to ex-cons (and statistically most of them will re-offend), then that ain't too wise is it ? you got a public safety issue.

multiple chances at life are only reserved for the cons, not for Jane Doe who got raped or John Doe who saw his family butchered.

Criminals don't deserve a second chance to victimize.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed"
coloradoboy
Private
Private

United States of America

Post by Westy » 06 Sep 2014, 7:54 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Welcome to Australia remember Sepo were we came from????Convicts, When I lived in your neck of the woods Aurora they would all say here comes the Aussie I could here your chain rattling!!!!! So in one way or another were all Criminals or Poof's down here!!!!LOL
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 06 Sep 2014, 3:13 pm

coloradoboy wrote:That is pretty goddamn weird. I have never ever been a fan of dishing out second chances to 'hardened' bad guys - try home invading me ahahahahaha :lol:. but in all seriousness, former cons should be allowed to re-acquaint with society but just not with firearms. a firearm is a potentially lethal tool and it is effectively designed to destroy - therefore a trustworthy and competent individual should only be accorded access. so if you dish out firearms to ex-cons (and statistically most of them will re-offend), then that ain't too wise is it ? you got a public safety issue.

multiple chances at life are only reserved for the cons, not for Jane Doe who got raped or John Doe who saw his family butchered.

Criminals don't deserve a second chance to victimize.

I am 100% behind you on this.

Once someone has been convicted they are always subject to close scrutiny as far as I am concerned, Jail is punishment not absolution.

I think the Aussie "Fair go" applies more to a level playing field for all, not automatically allowing criminals a second chance to offend(once again statistically they will re-offend).

And I can't stand people making excuses for their behaviour either, if they are weak enough to do it once they will in all likelihood do it again in a weak moment, not everyone offends when faced with a bad situation.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Bourt » 07 Sep 2014, 11:25 am

coloradoboy wrote:Criminals don't deserve a second chance to victimize.

If anyone's hurt or attempted to hurt someone, 100%

For smaller/stupid kid stuff though there should be some consideration given though IMO.

(That's consideration, not an automatic second chance)
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 07 Sep 2014, 1:41 pm

I dont think gun ownership is for certified mentally unwell , druggies or criminals like the original poster, 2 years and he thinks he is a changed boy, most 19 year olds still dont know if they are Arthur or Martha let allone a drugged up head case 19 year old.

If you have a screw loose, take drugs and break the law bad luck.

And that is my unwavering opinion.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bourt » 08 Sep 2014, 8:40 am

on_one_wheel wrote:I dont think gun ownership is for certified mentally unwell

I'm not a mental health expert so can't comment on anything here really, but if someone appropriate decides that someone who hasn't yet done anything isn't stable enough, that's fair enough.

I just try to avoid promoting blanket bans and prohibition for this as a general rule. All shooters know how it feels to be a target of those.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Fozzy » 08 Sep 2014, 9:07 am

Given the fact he hasnt been back I take it that it didnt go well
Fozzy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by AusC » 08 Sep 2014, 3:47 pm

Only been a week, suppose he could still be waiting to hear back.

I'm curious to hear the result though.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by TikkaT3.223 » 15 Sep 2014, 5:04 pm

Hey guys. Sorry, ive been busy.

First off, I dont think its fair that some of tou are judging me from what ive done in the past. You have no idea what ive done, or of the reasoning behind it. I will not reoffend, period.

No they still havent made a decision and its been 2 and a half weeks... 

If they havent made a decision in that amount of time, then thats gotta be good, right..? They wouldnt make me wait for 15 weeks just to say no?
TikkaT3.223
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Baronvonrort » 15 Sep 2014, 9:35 pm

TikkaT3.223 wrote:Hey guys. Sorry, ive been busy.

You have no idea what ive done, or of the reasoning behind it. I will not reoffend, period.

If they havent made a decision in that amount of time, then thats gotta be good, right..? They wouldnt make me wait for 15 weeks just to say no?

I have no idea how this will work out for you,trivial offences can cause huge problems for firearm owners.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Bennybigbores » 15 Sep 2014, 10:07 pm

It basically will be assessed on the category and seriousness of your offences, be they 17 yr old juv or 18 yr old adult if your crimes were assault, Physical/domestic violence, serious drug charges as in trafficable amounts, dealing etc.... Basically not looking good, basically got a ten year cool off period and then still under microscope. Had an acquaintance charge with dealing drugs when he was 19, he's now 35 and applied for his FA License, been 16 yr crime/charge/conviction free and still denied using same reasons and paper work as myself and many others used successfully. Hope u do have success and that you are as u say, it is an awesome sport/hobby/lifestyle and with certain discipline and respect will remain so.
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 16 Sep 2014, 8:47 am

TikkaT3.223 wrote:If they havent made a decision in that amount of time, then thats gotta be good, right..? They wouldnt make me wait for 15 weeks just to say no?

No news is good news I guess.

It can take ages though - potentially months to clear anything up with the Police, reading other peoples experiences here - stick with it.

Hope it works out for you.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by TikkaT3.223 » 16 Sep 2014, 9:09 am

Thanks guys :)

Will keep you updated.
TikkaT3.223
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by TikkaT3.223 » 16 Sep 2014, 10:16 am

The worst thing about all this is, my gun is already paid off ($2873), and ive got in excess of $1,000 worth of accessories already bolted in and organized at home.

How am I going to get all that money back..?

All this is happening because the SSAA rep that took my safety course told me that I legally dont have to say anything to them on the application about a juvy record.
TikkaT3.223
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Silver87 » 17 Sep 2014, 9:54 am

TikkaT3.223 wrote:The worst thing about all this is, my gun is already paid off ($2873), and ive got in excess of $1,000 worth of accessories already bolted in and organized at home.

How am I going to get all that money back..?

Your LGS can sell the rifle on your behalf and as for the other gear you'd be able to sell that yourself.
Silver87
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Vati » 17 Sep 2014, 1:51 pm

It's not over yet mate.

Wait and see before you stress over maybe having to sell anything.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TikkaT3.223 » 18 Sep 2014, 10:34 am

I called up my local police station yesterday just to see what MIGHT be holding them up. 

They told me that I had been to court for lots of charges before the age of 17, but had NEVER been convicted of anything, and I was POSITIVE that I had been convicted...

Would this be the reasoning behind holding my license? And if thats the case, do I really have anything to worry about?
TikkaT3.223
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Silver87 » 18 Sep 2014, 2:15 pm

TikkaT3.223 wrote: They told me that I had been to court for lots of charges before the age of 17, but had NEVER been convicted of anything, and I was POSITIVE that I had been convicted...

Would this be the reasoning behind holding my license? And if thats the case, do I really have anything to worry about?

Of course that's the reason, you would be nieve to think otherwise. You have a self confessed criminal history that only ended 2 years ago, sounds like you've turned your life around but a firearms license is a privilge not a right. You might get one one day but I highly doubt anytime soon, sorry not to suger coat it but you have to realistic mate.
Silver87
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by TikkaT3.223 » 18 Sep 2014, 2:46 pm

Even if none were convicted?
TikkaT3.223
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by fenderstrat » 18 Sep 2014, 11:23 pm

man, all i can say is be patient and try to not think about it. If i learned anything in the last couple of months before getting my licence, pta's, etc its to wait and wait and wait...
fenderstrat
Private
Private

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws