Filming police doing safe inspection

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Filming police doing safe inspection

Post by Patriot » 25 Feb 2019, 5:33 pm

Any know if you can or have you done it?...in Queensland.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Filming police doing safe inspection

Post by bladeracer » 25 Feb 2019, 5:44 pm

Patriot wrote:Any know if you can or have you done it?...in Queensland.

Does CCTV count?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickyj » 25 Feb 2019, 5:57 pm

How would your plumber feel if you filmed him fixing your dunny ? Not trying to be a smartarse about it but worth contemplating. Good way to get them offside. Perhaps if you are concerned have a friend or your wife accompany you during the inspection.
mickyj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 25 Feb 2019, 6:02 pm

mickyj wrote:

How would your plumber feel if you filmed him fixing your dunny ? Not trying to be a smartarse about it but worth contemplating. Good way to get them offside. Perhaps if you are concerned have a friend or your wife accompany you during the inspection.

i feel the same. not a good idea to p!ss of cops :unknown:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Archie » 25 Feb 2019, 6:57 pm

In your house you can probably film what you want. But I mean, seriously, what on earth are you worried about that it's worth looking like you don't trust them from the start?
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Feb 2019, 7:28 pm

Ppl that know ppl that know ppl maybe??
In Tassie, it’s pretty easy to come across someone who knows someone and if you’ve got an ex who knows a cop...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by pomemax » 25 Feb 2019, 10:17 pm

There is a flip side to recording a safe inspection you know he will do it by the letter for sure and that means everything checked properly, just in case you feel like he done something wrong .
The last safe inspection I had was a real nice cop he said boy you have a few (nice set up tho ) mind if i just count them to make sure they tally with what I have on my list , he did. First tho he showed me the number I had written in ink in the top of the page did not say it out loud and said quietly some wives do not know that number and was impressed with back to base monitoring and trigger lock on every thing even while just in the safe we chatted about shooting and stuff he was there about 1 hour and left .
Mind you tho in the safe I keep a spread sheet with pta numbers where bought from dates of purchase and serial numbers and where on each firearm they are located and rego numbers he just glanced at that
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 25 Feb 2019, 10:31 pm

In my experience being antagonistic with people right from the off is never going to end all that well. The police are public servants who have a job to do. If your security is compliant and you clearly demonstrate that you take the security of your firearms seriously, I really doubt you will have any issues. Remember the old saying in real estate: “you never get a second chance to make a good impression”. The same goes with police. I know that you may strike a policeman now and again who is a martinet, but they are rare in my experience. If you start reasonably, it is likely to end reasonably.

I say that as a person who has also been riding motorbikes for 38 years and been subject to my fair share of “random” licence checks over the years. If you deal with it with good grace, are compliant and reasonable, they do the check, confirm you’re law abiding and let you get on your way.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by rinkydink » 26 Feb 2019, 4:51 pm

You have every right to film them, don't listen to anybody that says otherwise.
God, guns and women. In that order. Image
rinkydink
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 26 Feb 2019, 4:58 pm

Well said rinky. I also video them when they pull me for a RBT, and tell at them that it's illegal to stop me as they have no right.

I am glad I video them as part time they handcuffed me and I spent the night in jail. With the video evidence I intend to sue vicpol
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 26 Feb 2019, 5:22 pm

Why not they record every Interaction with you , the last time I was asked why I was recording I said the same as them , it is for you safety and mine !
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 26 Feb 2019, 5:26 pm

rinkydink wrote:You have every right to film them, don't listen to anybody that says otherwise.

I don't reckon anyone's said patriot CANT film them.
The question is do ya really want to antagonise the people who can take ya firearms off ya for the littlest reason based on the flimsiest evidence?? :unknown: :unknown:
By all means if the cops start being assholes then I'd breakout the camera but if it's all going smoothly ya'd have to be a drongo to derail it!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JSS » 26 Feb 2019, 6:15 pm

There's a big difference between having "the right" to do something and it being the right thing to do. Sure if it's a traffic stop or some cop is being a dick, but these guys are coming to your house on a previously made appointment at your convenience to check your firearms are safe, it all should be a fairly friendly event so why add something into the mix to put everyone on edge. I agree with DB if they started getting out of line then fine whip out the camera, but other than that why would you even want to? :drinks:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 26 Feb 2019, 8:05 pm

Thanks lads

Yeah don’t want to annoy them, I know a couple of lawyers who used to be coppers they are saying ‘never trust a copper’ and I should at least voice record because the coppers definitely will be.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Feb 2019, 8:37 pm

You don't trust plod, but you trust ex-plod that have sunk to becoming ambulance chasers?

Still comes down to the old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", mate.

Look at it from the other side, would you look favorably on someone who made it that plain to you that they automatically assumed you were shonky, and that they were going to record your every move, just on spec?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Patriot » 27 Feb 2019, 6:26 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:You don't trust plod, but you trust ex-plod that have sunk to becoming ambulance chasers?

Still comes down to the old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", mate.

Look at it from the other side, would you look favorably on someone who made it that plain to you that they automatically assumed you were shonky, and that they were going to record your every move, just on spec?

Didn’t say I accepted the advice of the lawyers.

Look at it from this side, the police think every citizen including fellow police are shonky and up to no good that’s why the record, write down and use against you, everything you say. Why shouldn’t they be treated the same by the public?
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by zhuk » 27 Feb 2019, 7:21 am

Patriot wrote:Thanks lads

Yeah don’t want to annoy them, I know a couple of lawyers who used to be coppers they are saying ‘never trust a copper’ and I should at least voice record because the coppers definitely will be.

Dunno about QLD, but I've never heard of anyone in NSW being recorded by police during a safe inspection. Having a fair number of rifles to get through I'd be more likely to offer them a cuppa lol
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 27 Feb 2019, 7:43 am

I can see this going well.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 27 Feb 2019, 8:50 am

Patriot, the police don't think everyone is shonky, but having to deal on a daily basis with the worst scum humanity can produce, it's a self defense mechanism to be suspicious. It's also part of the job, they're not here to pander to peoples sensibilities.

But, just for the record how would you feel if you were treated that way in whatever line of work you're in?
Would it endear you to the person recording you?
Or would you think they were being a bit of a dick for automatically prejudging you?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by mickyj » 27 Feb 2019, 9:10 am

A safe Inspection (though I confess I have never had one) is a normal everyday human interaction as I see it. The best way to start one is with an assumption that the other person is decent and you act accordingly. If the other party shows otherwise you respond accordingly. You can escalate if you need to by pulling out a camera or ask to speak to your lawyer etc.

I think most of the suspicion should be aimed at the politicians who create the laws.
But saying all that one should always cover thy arse.

It would be interesting to hear accounts from folks that have actually survived a safe inspection.
mickyj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 27 Feb 2019, 9:28 am

And then there's the other side of the discussion!!!!
"Police commissioners wife gets ticket torn up" ABC NEWS.
Funny how the junior officer who issued the ticket has "gone on leave" hey ???
Ahh Qld cops they really know how to lose their jobs!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 27 Feb 2019, 9:34 am

Daddybang wrote:And then there's the other side of the discussion!!!!
Ahh Qld cops they really know how to lose their jobs!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:

Yeah, that's a really good look, eh?

I got a chuckle from the part of the report where the police spokesman said that it's every citizen's right to challenge a ticket.

So it is, but how many who aren't married to a police commissioner actually succeed wasn't mentioned. :lol:
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 27 Feb 2019, 9:37 am

Yeah gaz that was pretty much my first thought as well mate. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by PaddyT » 27 Feb 2019, 10:02 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:
Daddybang wrote:And then there's the other side of the discussion!!!!

Yeah, that's a really good look, eh?

I got a chuckle from the part of the report where the police spokesman said that it's every citizen's right to challenge a ticket.

So it is, but how many who aren't married to a police commissioner actually succeed wasn't mentioned. :lol:
:drinks:

Copped my first speeding fine in over 20 years back in Sept, applied for leniency and was given leniency- no points lost, no fine, no offence recorded.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Patriot » 27 Feb 2019, 11:59 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:Patriot, the police don't think everyone is shonky, but having to deal on a daily basis with the worst scum humanity can produce, it's a self defense mechanism to be suspicious. It's also part of the job, they're not here to pander to peoples sensibilities.

But, just for the record how would you feel if you were treated that way in whatever line of work you're in?
Would it endear you to the person recording you?
Or would you think they were being a bit of a dick for automatically prejudging you?

So you are saying it’s ok for the police to prejudge everyone, and record them, because some people they interact during the course of their shift are scum. Yet not ok for the public, for example me, not to prejudge them?
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 27 Feb 2019, 12:22 pm

Mate, I really don't know how I can make it any simpler for you, but I'll try.

They interact with people who lie to them, disrespect them and attack them, every day, so it's simple human nature for that to colour how they look at people.

Do you interact with crooked coppers doing the wrong thing by you every day? Or any day?

I have never heard of anyone reporting that the police recorded their safe inspection, that doesn't mean it's never happened, but if it was common we would have heard about it before you made the claim.

I will take the fact that you have twice refused to answer how you would feel if you were treated that way in your day job to mean that you wouldn't like it at all.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Patriot » 27 Feb 2019, 12:55 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Mate, I really don't know how I can make it any simpler for you, but I'll try.

They interact with people who lie to them, disrespect them and attack them, every day, so it's simple human nature for that to colour how they look at people.

Do you interact with crooked coppers doing the wrong thing by you every day? Or any day?

I have never heard of anyone reporting that the police recorded their safe inspection, that doesn't mean it's never happened, but if it was common we would have heard about it before you made the claim.

I will take the fact that you have twice refused to answer how you would feel if you were treated that way in your day job to mean that you wouldn't like it at all.

Righto mate,
If you think police are not at least voice recording every single interaction including safe inspections,you are having yourself on.
Yes,people do treat coppers poorly and that’s a disgrace, but no one forces them to join the coppers,they know that going in,for them to complain afterwards would be like a soldier complaining about be shot at in a war zone.

Nope would not like to be treated that way,but I did not voluntarily sign up to join the coppers. Police have extraordinary powers more than any other citizens with that power comes consequences and dealing with scumbags is one them. There are others in the community who get lied to,attacked and disrespected everyday as well mate and they have zero power and zero recourse.

No I don’t interact with crooked cops doing the wrong thing every day,but other citizens do, it does happen and seems to be happening more
The public is hearing about it more because people are recording them and holding them to account and they should be,as I said they have extraordinary powers and they need to be held to account.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 27 Feb 2019, 1:23 pm

Well patriot, you seem quite determined to do it, no skin off me mate, it is your right to do so.

It's just that I, and seemingly everyone else, wondered why you would want to antagonize, right from the get-go, someone with the power to make your life difficult, or to take your guns.

Assuming that because some cops overstep their authority, they all will, just as a matter of course seems as simplistic to me as the antis who assume that all gun owners are slavering murderers in waiting.

But one of the great things about Oz is that we are all free to believe whatever strangeness bloats our particular goats.

Good luck witth it.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Patriot » 27 Feb 2019, 1:32 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Well patriot, you seem quite determined to do it, no skin off me mate, it is your right to do so.

It's just that I, and seemingly everyone else, wondered why you would want to antagonize, right from the get-go, someone with the power to make your life difficult, or to take your guns.

Assuming that because some cops overstep their authority, they all will, just as a matter of course seems as simplistic to me as the antis who assume that all gun owners are slavering murderers in waiting.

But one of the great things about Oz is that we are all free to believe whatever strangeness bloats our particular goats.

Good luck witth it.

Yeah thanks mate, don’t think I’ll do it,just asking the question.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 27 Feb 2019, 1:42 pm

I think a little skepticism in qld coppers is fair enough especially for those that remember the "Bad ol days" of the seventies and eighties where corruption was WIDE spread and more the norm than an honest copper but If everything is going smoothly don't do anything to deliberately derail the process!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Next

Return to Queensland gun laws