Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by Howa man » 11 Jun 2019, 7:41 am

Mine surely couldn’t take that long as I don’t live far from Brisbane where wao is located
Howa man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Addz » 11 Jun 2019, 9:09 am

If I'm correct, and correct me if I'm wrong the license cards don't even get made in QLD they get posted to qld from somewhere eles so I would say to howaman it might and will be a bit of a wait to receive it in the mail as there not coming from brisbane wao. but in saying that it does mention a 10-14 waiting period and if you don't include weekends cause the mail doesn't get delivered on weekends you'll still be looking at around the last week of the month or even before howaman keep me updated on how you get on
Addz
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Howa man » 11 Jun 2019, 9:17 am

I’m not sure where they come from I’m guessing BRISBANE ahaha but I will keep you updated :)
Howa man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Royalblood » 11 Jun 2019, 7:04 pm

Whats the chances of actually being turned down for a new weapons application if you have no criminal history etc. but only have small traffic violations including a previous drink driving charge that resulted in going to court? Anyone on here been turned down for something in that nature or similar? I putt a application in on the 7/6/19 so only afew days ago with a Pta on the 10/6. Hopefully i will get it already have a nice .308 in mind but hoping for the best outcome.
Royalblood
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bilko » 15 Jun 2019, 2:26 pm

My licence took 7 working days from memory. It comes from Victoria.
Bilko
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 17 Jun 2019, 6:37 am

bah wrote:Hi there,

Apologies in advance for adding another post on wait times for new category A/B license and PTA wait times, but I just noticed that the other thread had become quite long and somewhat outdated. I am reaching out to the community to gauge as how long processing times have been for recent successful applicants.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers! :drinks:

I thought, at the time, that your new post creating a quarterly section for queries regarding wait times was sensible.
I took the opportunity to create a second one, Apr - Jun, which I haven't seen anybody use.
Maybe I'll re-post, and try and get it started again.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Howa man » 19 Jun 2019, 5:41 pm

Finally received my gun today and license :)
Howa man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Howa man » 19 Jul 2019, 8:07 am

Hey guys my mate is interested in getting a firearm he just done his safety course Saturday and is waiting for his statement of attainment he is interested in buy his first firearm is it aloud to purchase a gun withou a application or firearms license?
Howa man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 19 Jul 2019, 8:34 am

Congratulations Howa man, could you post a summary of the key dates for applying, ID checks, email notification and license receipt etc. It will save anyone form having to scroll back through the thread to work out how long it all took for you. I'm only a month in from applying online so not even half way through yet.

Your friend can buy a firearm from a registered dealer but only up to the point of paying for it, the dealer will then store it until he has the license and PTA. Purchase from a private seller should also be possible but the firearm will again need to be held by the brokering dealer for the next 3 months or so.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Howa man » 19 Jul 2019, 8:42 am

Thanks mate!. And my summary about my firearms license went from application date which was on the 31st April my I’d check on the 31st of May got the approval back on the fifth of June and Recived my license in mail exactly 2 weeks from approval :)
Howa man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Howa man » 19 Jul 2019, 8:43 am

Thanks mate!. And my summary about my firearms license went from application date which was on the 31st April my I’d check on the 31st of May got the approval back on the fifth of June and Recived my license in mail exactly 2 weeks from approval :)
Howa man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by fitchaj » 19 Jul 2019, 3:58 pm

Might seem like a stupid question.

Did a PTA for a 22lr and got the approval email. Is this enough to go and take ownership of the rifle or am I also waiting for something to be mailed?
fitchaj
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Howa man » 21 Jul 2019, 8:35 am

If you got an approval you have to wait until the gun store that you purchased it from calls you regarding that permit via email to them from weapons License, I think?
Howa man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 21 Jul 2019, 10:21 pm

Howa man wrote:Thanks mate!. And my summary about my firearms license went from application date which was on the 31st April my I’d check on the 31st of May got the approval back on the fifth of June and Recived my license in mail exactly 2 weeks from approval :)

It just occurred to me that there are only 30 days in April but assuming you meant 30th, less than 5 weeks to ID check is about the same as my application and then only one more week after that to get the approval email makes me hopeful of receiving something as soon as next week. The two weeks between approval email and the license card arriving must have seemed like the longest and slowest part of the whole process.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TheBuffPirannah » 24 Apr 2020, 1:40 pm

This is for any poor bloke like me who applied for cat a and b just before Corona virus f***ed everything up. I applied on 4 December 2019 and am still waiting, that's close to 5 months. I have done the identification check. I called WLQ a few months ago and was told they don't even start processing applications until 28 days Plus 3 months. The way things stand right now, you have a high chance in some states to receive a letter denying your application if it wasn't submitted Well before Corona virus started. The reason for cancelation is said to be due to people's motivation to apply because of Corona virus. So, you can wait for 4-7 months for license and then be told it has been denied with a Partial refund. It sucks.
TheBuffPirannah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 24 Apr 2020, 11:15 pm

WA are following that rejection approach and I think a legal challenge is in progress as it's not within the legislation.
There have been NO examples of it in QLD so far, and there is no maximum processing time for licenses or PTAs so WLB can keep all applications on hold for years if they want to, they really don't need to reject anything due to Covid but can take additional time to assess 'genuine reasons' if they choose to.

With ranges closed and productivity at WLB reduced due to staff working from home they are concentrating on license renewals and don't seem to be getting much else done, it sucks big time but welcome to the world of firearms ownership in Australia.

If you haven't submitted your first PTA then you should probably do that now, it also has a 28 day waiting period but it can run concurrently with your license processing time which means both come through the system together, otherwise that additional 28 days will annoy you somewhat.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TheBuffPirannah » 25 Apr 2020, 12:15 am

I submitted one pta when I applied for license, the other I started around 3 weeks back, I was charged for it but never received a confirmation of my application. Tried ringing but they don't take calls at the moment so I emailed. Still haven't heard a thing. NO confirmation, NO reference number Nothing.
TheBuffPirannah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 25 Apr 2020, 11:01 am

Mate I applied for my A/B licence this year in mid Feb and got it in 8 weeks in April, as well as 4 PTAs just the other day. So the fact you are waiting from December is bizarre.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 25 Apr 2020, 11:08 am

rc42 wrote:WA are following that rejection approach and I think a legal challenge is in progress as it's not within the legislation.
There have been NO examples of it in QLD so far, and there is no maximum processing time for licenses or PTAs so WLB can keep all applications on hold for years if they want to, they really don't need to reject anything due to Covid but can take additional time to assess 'genuine reasons' if they choose to.

With ranges closed and productivity at WLB reduced due to staff working from home they are concentrating on license renewals and don't seem to be getting much else done, it sucks big time but welcome to the world of firearms ownership in Australia.

If you haven't submitted your first PTA then you should probably do that now, it also has a 28 day waiting period but it can run concurrently with your license processing time which means both come through the system together, otherwise that additional 28 days will annoy you somewhat.

I was reading the WA act and it states the commissioner can exercise discretion to reject permits and licences if he feels "it is not desirable in the interests of public safety". So I wonder how the lawsuit is going to go because it seems pretty clear they can reject permits for the hell of it. Unless I am missing something.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 25 Apr 2020, 12:54 pm

The least we should get is an explanation of why issuing of licenses to carefully vetted 'fit and proper' citizens is not in the interests of public safety and how that relates to the current health emergency.

If there is no link to reducing the spread of Covid-19, which there doesn't seem to be, then this order will likely never be removed and no more licenses or permits will ever be issued in WA except for a few Primary Producers. Perhaps this is the long term intention and the reason that applications are being outright rejected rather then just being put on indefinite hold which the Commissioner also has the power to do.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TheBuffPirannah » 25 Apr 2020, 4:39 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:Mate I applied for my A/B licence this year in mid Feb and got it in 8 weeks in April, as well as 4 PTAs just the other day. So the fact you are waiting from December is bizarre.

Damn, stories like that make me cry. They say it is processed in order of who applied first but I really do wonder.
TheBuffPirannah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 25 Apr 2020, 5:37 pm

TheBuffPirannah wrote:
Damn, stories like that make me cry. They say it is processed in order of who applied first but I really do wonder.

Did you do it online or by paper? I have heard by paper can take over 6 months. Did you apply as a member of a club or as rural land shooter?
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TheBuffPirannah » 25 Apr 2020, 11:07 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:

Did you do it online or by paper? I have heard by paper can take over 6 months. Did you apply as a member of a club or as rural land shooter?

I did it online and as a rural land shooter, I provided absolutely everything and am a member of a club.
TheBuffPirannah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 26 Apr 2020, 1:33 pm

I don't know why its taking that long mate. Maybe they somehow have lost your paperwork. You should go see a solicitor and get him to contact them on your behalf to get to the bottom of the issue.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 26 Apr 2020, 3:36 pm

Maybe take it up with your local member.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TheBuffPirannah » 26 Apr 2020, 4:12 pm

Cheers for the suggestions guys. Ill have to wait and see what happens.
TheBuffPirannah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by TheBuffPirannah » 13 May 2020, 4:52 pm

Update. Received A PTA in the mail today, which is the one I applied for on 24 March and paid but never got a confirmation. I have not recieved my license, a confirmation of my approval/email or the other PTA I applied for back on December 4 2019. The fact that I have a PTA means my license has been approved however does anyone else know if my license was meant to be with it? I assumed both PTAs would be sent with the license...
Cheers
TheBuffPirannah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 13 May 2020, 5:40 pm

Licenses are printed in another state, Victoria I think, they take about 2 weeks to arrive by post after your approval email notification.
Licenses and postal PTAs do not come together but a PTA can't be sent until your license is approved so the license card will likely arrive in 1-2 weeks.

Maybe check your spam folder, the emails are generally very reliable.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TheBuffPirannah » 13 May 2020, 6:10 pm

Cheers mate. Guess I'll just have to wait.
TheBuffPirannah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by TheBuffPirannah » 18 May 2020, 7:22 pm

License recieved in the mail today. No email confirmation though. So, 5 months and 14 days from application to license in the mailbox.
Thanks for the help guys.
TheBuffPirannah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws