Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Apr-Jun 2019

Post by Macross » 01 Nov 2019, 3:17 pm

Hey Fonz_408.... took 16 days for my card to turn up in the mail after getting the email. Postie and I got to have a few chats over those weeks... he probably wonders why I stopped being at the gate to meet him :)
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ozlad » 02 Nov 2019, 4:25 am

Hey tengaix

No I didnt do the PTA at the same time. Got an email saying it will be approved on the 12 of Nov. Hopefully it shows up soon after that.
Ozlad
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Burntbear » 04 Nov 2019, 9:17 pm

Hi Bah - received licence approval via email today - Will post when i get the card in hand - also when I receive my PTA
9 weeks 2 days
Burntbear
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Fonz_408 » 06 Nov 2019, 2:01 pm

Hey macross,

So my Licence came in the post on the 1st/11/19 so 9days got lucky I think... but I've still no PTA as this stage
Fonz_408
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by fitchaj » 06 Nov 2019, 9:08 pm

Applied for Cat H 09/08/19
Approval email 23/10/19
Card in mail 6/11/19

12 weeks and 5 days all up
fitchaj
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oz95 » 20 Nov 2019, 7:09 pm

Applied for Cat H license 22-07-19. Still nothing. Sent 2 emails with no reply. Called weapon's licensing and got told there was a glitch in the system and he was unable to view my application. They verified I had sent all required information and there was nothing for me to do.. Few weeks later and still Left in the dark.. yet again
Oz95
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Khansy » 24 Nov 2019, 4:48 pm

I applied on 12-09-19 (11 weeks & 6 days) and still no email. If nothing else this process will teach me patience. I called at week 10 to make sure the ID check came through and they told me it wouldn’t be picked up for processing until after 12 weeks. That was a bit frustrating considering they are supposed to be done ASAP after the 28 days. I didn’t dare complain though because I’d probably end up back at the bottom of the pile.
Khansy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Macross » 26 Nov 2019, 3:50 pm

Oz95 wrote:Applied for Cat H license 22-07-19. Still nothing. Sent 2 emails with no reply. Called weapon's licensing and got told there was a glitch in the system and he was unable to view my application. They verified I had sent all required information and there was nothing for me to do.. Few weeks later and still Left in the dark.. yet again

Hey Oz95. I had a very similar experience where I waited to the 12 week mark, called WLB and the guy on the phone said the same sort of thing. He couldn't see my application. But then he said he could 'look it up a different way', and then mentioned that my documents hadn't been 'associated' with my application.

My guess is that there is some sort of glitch that seems to happen with online applications that causes the job to not get into the queue, and sits there waiting for some manual intervention - usually after you call after 12 weeks.

I would call back and make sure that things are rolling along.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oz95 » 26 Nov 2019, 6:14 pm

Hey Macross, Good to hear your application has made process. I have rang them twice after the 12 week mark. I spoke with the same person on both occasions and said he was unable to help at the time but he made his supervisor aware of the situation.

I have since sent a few emails politely asking for any further updates but did not get any reply. It's been just over 4 months now and I still haven't had any luck. I'm going to give them a call again this week but I'm not getting my hopes up. The whole situation is just frustrating but I'm continuing to be polite and patient. I'm thinking I may get it by next Christmas but who knows haha. The wait continues...
Oz95
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Macross » 26 Nov 2019, 8:25 pm

Khansy wrote:I applied on 12-09-19 (11 weeks & 6 days) and still no email. If nothing else this process will teach me patience. I called at week 10 to make sure the ID check came through and they told me it wouldn’t be picked up for processing until after 12 weeks. That was a bit frustrating considering they are supposed to be done ASAP after the 28 days. I didn’t dare complain though because I’d probably end up back at the bottom of the pile.

Hey Khansy, Yes, its an absolute master class in patients. It helps to be a zen budist monk I think. But, on the bright side, once you get there, its all worth it. Having your first trip to the club with your own gear is pretty awesome and you soon forget about all the waiting and frustration.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Macross » 26 Nov 2019, 8:31 pm

Oz95 wrote:Hey Macross, Good to hear your application has made process. I have rang them twice after the 12 week mark. I spoke with the same person on both occasions and said he was unable to help at the time but he made his supervisor aware of the situation.

I have since sent a few emails politely asking for any further updates but did not get any reply. It's been just over 4 months now and I still haven't had any luck. I'm going to give them a call again this week but I'm not getting my hopes up. The whole situation is just frustrating but I'm continuing to be polite and patient. I'm thinking I may get it by next Christmas but who knows haha. The wait continues...

Actually, it was me calling that got the ball rolling and after a few more weeks got my license in the mail. Im off and running now with my own gun in the safe. But if I hadn't called, I think I could well still be sitting waiting for some action. Hence why I suggest its probably worth giving them a call once you hit that 12 week mark. So long as we keep polite and civil, I cant see any harm in calling often once we go past the allotted waiting time stipulated by WLB and just asking.. "so guys... whats happening with my license".

They cant not give it to you if you meet the criteria. They legislate the requirements... if you meet them, then you are eligible. They can drag it out but cannot prevent you from being issued a license.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bah » 02 Dec 2019, 2:16 pm

Hi all,

I appreciate the the time members have taken to update/reply to my post a couple of months back. I have some exciting updates to post on this thread!

Initial lodgement (Category H): 01/10/2019
Approval email: 02/12/2019

That’s 8 weeks and 6 days in total since the application was first lodged.

Awaiting plastic in the post. Probably 5-10 business days based on experience from past Collector/AB applications. 62 days and counting!

Please be aware that the documents associated with my application were lost a total of three times. I would advise calling once every couple of weeks after you have served your mandatory 28 day waiting period for peace of mind.

Cheers!
bah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oz95 » 02 Dec 2019, 5:00 pm

Hi Guys, Good to hear people are getting their applications sorted. My Application from the 22/7 is still on going. I called WLB last Thursday again and still unable to get any useful answers other than the Team manager is aware and all they can do was sympathize with me and hope it wouldn't be much longer.

I'm not sure how they lose information when it's all attached and submitted together but it is WLB.. So judging from posts the application time can vary alot. Hope everyone has better luck then myself and a great Christmas! Thanks
Oz95
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 03 Dec 2019, 4:48 pm

Hey Guys,

After reading this thread on and off for the last month or so I started to get paranoid about my A&B application being severely delayed or shoved off to the side like others have experienced.

But seems like everything is running quite smoothly for me and my partner (Who has applied for A&B at the same time), we were told to expect around 12 weeks by the Safety course instructor.

Application submitted online 1/10/19
I/D Check Completed 5/11/2019
Approval Email 2/12/2019

Just a hair under 9 weeks from application to approval email. Fingers crossed the piece of plastic and PTA arrive in a timely manner.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by braznutz » 11 Dec 2019, 2:05 pm

wonder why mines taking so long
I applied for cat a/b 26/9/10
did ID check on 29/10/19
and still haven't heard anything. was hoping to get it before Christmas. but unlikely now
braznutz
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Khansy » 11 Dec 2019, 7:30 pm

Just over 14 weeks and I still haven’t got my email. I’m hoping it doesn’t take too much longer. Every time my phone beeps I’m checking to see if it’s from weapons licencing.
Khansy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bah » 14 Dec 2019, 2:13 pm

Initial lodgement (Category H): 01/10/2019
Approval email: 02/12/2019

That’s 8 weeks and 6 days in total since the application was first lodged until approval was received.

Update: PTA was emailed to the dealer the day afterwards on the 03/12/2019, however I did call weapons licensing to request that it be sent through pronto.

I am still awaiting plastic in the post, waiting for the posty every afternoon. I have been waiting 10 business days (13 days including weekends). 10 weeks, 4 days (74 days) and counting...

UPDATE: License arrived on Monday. That’s 14 days total (10 business days) for the license to arrive. Make sure that you request your PTA to be emailed to the LGS once you receive the license approval email. It’s a faster, more streamlined process and saves you waiting for the PTA in the mail as well.
Last edited by bah on 20 Dec 2019, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
bah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 17 Dec 2019, 8:09 am

Still hanging out for the piece of plastic and PTA hasn't shown up at the dealer yet.

It's been 2 weeks since the approval email, so I'm hoping it's shortly, my missus' PTA hasn't shown up at the dealer or plastic in the mail yet either, which is reassuring, but also not, Ha!

Going to give weapons licensing a bell about the PTA once I've seen the plastic.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 20 Dec 2019, 3:33 pm

License turned up in the mail yesterday after approval email on 2/12/19, I suspect it ended up in a neighbour's letterbox as it wasn't there until about 6:00pm yesterday and the postie hasn't stopped by for the last couple days.

Just gave weapons licensing a call to make sure my PTA was all filled in correctly that I submitted 6/10/2019.

Was told everything was all good with it, they were just waiting on license to be issued. Couple minutes after getting off the phone an email came through saying PTA has been approved. Hopefully lands with the dealer shortly and I can bring my rifle home.

Was definitely worth giving them a quick bell to 'check if everything was filled in correctly'. Dropped in a line about really wanting to take it away for xmas and was hopeful it would show before. Didn't think the overly chatty bloke :sarcasm: on the other end of the phone was going to come through but seems to have paid off.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sawyer » 21 Jan 2020, 3:47 pm

Thought I’d add current wait times for anyone curious.
Submitted application for A&B: 18/12/19
PTA submitted: 27/12/19
Still yet to receive an email to confirm ID, not sure if it is a mandatory requirement or not?
Sawyer
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 21 Jan 2020, 7:46 pm

Yes, the ID check at a police station is part of the process, mine came through about 4 weeks after the A/B application but there will likely be delays due to the Christmas break period, yours will probably be in the next week or two though.

Your PTA will be on hold and come through a day or so after your license approval email and then you have a two week wait for the plastic card to arrive, plenty of time for the PTA to get to you or the dealer, whichever you selected.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sawyer » 21 Jan 2020, 8:05 pm

Yeah I figured the Xmas period would affect it a little bit, I’ll update when it all happens for anyone wanting to know. Feels like it’s forever haha
Sawyer
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by shauny88 » 24 Jan 2020, 4:17 pm

I put in two Cat H PTA's one for a rimfire one for a class B 357. I already have a 9mm at the moment.

Put in my PTA's within a 10 minute window just on Noon on the 7th January. Got acceptance yesterday afternoon at just after 3 pm on both of them, so 2 weeks 2 days to approve, just now waiting on post, so Christmas/New Years closures put a little delay onto things.
shauny88
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by albert » 28 Jan 2020, 7:21 pm

Applied for my Category H last Oct 16, 2019 and received my approval via email last January 17, 2020... Just waiting for the actual card to arrive
albert
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by FisherC » 29 Jan 2020, 3:45 pm

Sawyer wrote:Thought I’d add current wait times for anyone curious.
Submitted application for A&B: 18/12/19
PTA submitted: 27/12/19
Still yet to receive an email to confirm ID, not sure if it is a mandatory requirement or not?

That’s strange mate. I applied for my class A/B on the 23/12/19 and received my ID check email yesterday 28/1/20 which I did ASAP. Hoping for a short wait time on the approval email but won’t be holding my breath by the looks of things :unknown:
FisherC
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Sawyer » 30 Jan 2020, 6:05 am

Hey thanks for the replies.
Yeah Fisher that is strange, just goes to show they don’t do it in order as the applications come through, probably more luck of the draw haha. Hopefully I’ll see that email sometime this week!
Sawyer
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Reverse » 31 Jan 2020, 3:01 pm

Hi all,

I’ve been watching this thread with interest, just thought I’d post my situation.

Applied for initial Cat H on December 8th, and am yet to receive an email for my ID check (8 weeks).

I can see my application going well beyond the 12 weeks. There appears to be no pattern after reading some people getting their ID check after 4 weeks.
Reverse
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by FisherC » 31 Jan 2020, 8:00 pm

Reverse wrote:Hi all,

I’ve been watching this thread with interest, just thought I’d post my situation.

Applied for initial Cat H on December 8th, and am yet to receive an email for my ID check (8 weeks).

I can see my application going well beyond the 12 weeks. There appears to be no pattern after reading some people getting their ID check after 4 weeks.

Yeah you’re right I can guarantee if any other organisation or government agency ran the way WLB does, they would be shut down. My brother lodged his application 15 days after me and got his ID email before me. Pretty cooked if you ask me. I know they dont want people calling them prior to the 12 weeks but can’t hurt to follow it up Mate.
FisherC
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Sawyer » 01 Feb 2020, 8:38 am

Yeah it’s pretty frustrating. I did give them a call even though I heard they can get quite annoyed by it. I was just curious and was getting concerned my application was lost or something. The lady I got was extremely friendly and didn’t seem to mind at all, but I did just get the generic response that “they’ll get to it when they get to it”. She did look over my application however and said it all looked good. But that still doesn’t speed it up, pretty ridiculous especially considering it costs up to hundreds of dollars to get everything you need to lodge an application just to receive nothing for ages.
Sawyer
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by FisherC » 06 Feb 2020, 9:37 pm

Sawyer wrote:Yeah I figured the Xmas period would affect it a little bit, I’ll update when it all happens for anyone wanting to know. Feels like it’s forever haha

Just wanted an update mate. Have you got your confirmation email yet?
FisherC
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws