Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Apr-Jun 2019

Post by Oz95 » 09 Mar 2020, 8:13 pm

Hi all, final update on my Cat H license application and First Pta. License application submitted 22/7/2019 and Pta submitted 24/7/2019. Pta recieved in the mail 6/3/2020 and License card recieved today 9/3/2020. About 7 and a half months all up. Ive had Cat A and B license since 2013. Only reason given for such a delay is because of an issue with the online application system in which sometimes not all information submitted with the application is kept under the Id case number. So they have to manually go through the system and try to link it together to further the process.

Once all was sorted, I was notified by 2 different people updating me on the process and they were both apologetic. Good luck guys, stay positive, all applications will be finalised eventually some longer then other's. Government run system for ya. Shows you why the Yanks don't wanna budge on any of their rights.
Oz95
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 09 Mar 2020, 8:27 pm

Oz95 wrote:Hi all, final update on my Cat H license application and First Pta. License application submitted 22/7/2019 and Pta submitted 24/7/2019. Pta recieved in the mail 6/3/2020 and License card recieved today 9/3/2020. About 7 and a half months all up. Ive had Cat A and B license since 2013. Only reason given for such a delay is because of an issue with the online application system in which sometimes not all information submitted with the application is kept under the Id case number. So they have to manually go through the system and try to link it together to further the process.

Once all was sorted, I was notified by 2 different people updating me on the process and they were both apologetic. Good luck guys, stay positive, all applications will be finalised eventually some longer then other's. Government run system for ya. Shows you why the Yanks don't wanna budge on any of their rights.

Congrats mate. You have earned it after waiting that long.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 09 Mar 2020, 9:52 pm

Oz95, congratulations, when you get to the range remember that you've got at least 5 month's worth of ammunition that you should have used by now so lots of catching up to do. Maybe take some freeze spray to cool the barrel every 100 rounds or so.

I'm 'only' 2 months into waiting for my Cat H and have heard nothing yet, I did call about 3 weeks ago and was told that everything looked to be in order so I was just waiting in the queue so hopefully things will start moving in a month when I call them again.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sawyer » 10 Mar 2020, 5:13 am

Hey guys here’s another update on my Cat.a&b.
Application submitted 18/12/19
ID check 2/3/20
FINALLY Approval Email 9/3/20
Now hopefully around 2 weeks for the card to arrive. So 11 weeks and 5 days from application to approval.
Sawyer
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 10 Mar 2020, 6:06 pm

Great to hear Oz, as RC mentioned, you've got plenty of spent brass to catch up on, I feel sorry for your trigger finger after waiting that long with all the screw around.

Here I am waiting 3 months for a rifle to come in and whinging to the missus everyday, nothing compared to your wait, haha.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by CTW » 11 Mar 2020, 8:36 am

Hi, I am new to this forum and I was just wondering if there are any recent experiences regarding wait times for Cat H applications from A,B holders? Just trying to gauge what time frame to expect. Thanks.

AB holder so no ID check required.
Applied for Cat H 16/01/2020
Applied for PTA 21/01/2020
CTW
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Scooter80 » 11 Mar 2020, 4:27 pm

Hi guys, been lurking on here for a couple of months but decided to post now I have something to add.
I applied for my licence on the 17th of January, got my ID check on the 20th of February and got my Approval email today.
Pretty stoked I have to say. Now off to buy a safe and lodge a PTA when I find the right rifle.
Cheers
Scooter80
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jay76 » 11 Mar 2020, 7:08 pm

jay76 wrote:A Quick update. Got my Approval email today.

Application submitted online 30/12/19
I/D Check Completed 30/01/2020
Approval Email 04/03/2020

So happy now.

2 X PTA approval emails 10/3
Both dealers received them today (11/3) so just waiting for license to arrive.
Remington 7615 223
Lithgow 308
Lithgow 6.5 creedmoor
Tikka 6.5 creedmoor
Adler B230
Winchester 94
smith &wesson M&P 9 M2.0
jay76
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 11 Mar 2020, 9:06 pm

CTW wrote:Hi, I am new to this forum and I was just wondering if there are any recent experiences regarding wait times for Cat H applications from A,B holders? Just trying to gauge what time frame to expect. Thanks.

AB holder so no ID check required.
Applied for Cat H 16/01/2020
Applied for PTA 21/01/2020

Hey CTW, I'm similar to you, A/B holder already and applied for H on 11th Jan, since then just a deathly silence.

I did give them a call around week 5 after hearing Oz95's horror stories and was told that everything looked to be in order so I just had to wait for processing and that it was currently taking around 12 weeks for processing to complete.
Another month to the 12 week mark and I get to call them again.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by CTW » 11 Mar 2020, 9:42 pm

Hi rc42, I also called them around the 5 week mark just to make sure that they had received all docs and that everything was in order with application. They told me that all was inorder and that I just needed to wait.

A few years ago when I did my AB, I called WLB and they told me that they had not recieved my ID check from the local police station so I went and did it again the next day and emailed details through to them. The application was then processed and I received my licence shortly afterwards.

I have a firearm waiting for me at the LGS and I am itching to take it to the range. I suppose 1 more month won't hurt. At least we are almost at the finish line.
CTW
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by CTW » 13 Mar 2020, 11:48 am

jay76 wrote:
Application submitted online 30/12/19
I/D Check Completed 30/01/2020
Approval Email 04/03/2020

So happy now.

2 X PTA approval emails 10/3
Both dealers received them today (11/3) so just waiting for license to arrive.

Hey jay76, congrats! I hope you get the card quickly. What did you get? Happy shooting.
CTW
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jay76 » 13 Mar 2020, 12:33 pm

Hey jay76, congrats! I hope you get the card quickly. What did you get? Happy shooting.[/quote]

Turned up today 13/3. Been down to get my 2 x firearms
Remington 7615 223
Lithgow 308
Lithgow 6.5 creedmoor
Tikka 6.5 creedmoor
Adler B230
Winchester 94
smith &wesson M&P 9 M2.0
jay76
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 13 Mar 2020, 2:38 pm

Just got off the phone with weapons licensing. I finely rang up to tell them that I forgot to put down send to dealer on my PTA. So she put down a note on the case id to change it from post. They can't change the submission they can only make notes and when my licence gets approved they will get notified and realise the PTA to the dealer.

Then I said oh by the way since I am here hows my licence application going. She transfered me from PTA section to licence section and that lady said that she can't see anything wrong with my application and I am in the “waiting and assessment” pile that can take up to 12 weeks, my firearm saftey course is still in date and if they need any info they will ring me. Today is day 39 since I lodged and still no ID check so now we just wait.

So in the meantime I'm just doing some home renos. Haha
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by CTW » 14 Mar 2020, 10:29 am

StraightWhiteMale wrote:Just got off the phone with weapons licensing.....
Today is day 39 since I lodged and still no ID check so now we just wait.

So in the meantime I'm just doing some home renos. Haha

It is painful to just sit and wait. Thanks for the update. Hopefully time will pass quickly and reno goes well.
CTW
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 14 Mar 2020, 3:33 pm

Just up to the 9 week mark waiting for my Cat H license, with a probable 3 more weeks waiting followed by 2 an additional weeks for license card printing I've got the sinking feeling that COVID-19 is going to set in and shut everything down before then and add many months to the process.

The first confirmed case within WLB will have their office evacuated for at least two weeks, hopefully their computer systems will allow staff to work from home as looking at the information provided about each applicant on their system is largely all they have to do.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Reverse » 14 Mar 2020, 3:57 pm

Hi everybody,

Just a an update on my situation. Received my license yesterday in the mail, thought I’d let everyone else suffering through the process know how it turned out.

Applied for initial Cat H. Heard nothing after 6 weeks, so gave WLB a quick call to make sure they received everything. The man looked up my file and said yes, got everything, call back at 12 weeks.
Rang again at 10 weeks anyway, they said all good, ring back at 12 weeks.
Rang back at 12 weeks, the guy looked up my file, and said he’d send the ID check email soon.
I received it 30 minutes later, and went to the local police station the same day.
Received my licence approval 2 days later, along with my PTA approval that I submitted with my application.
I received my licence yesterday in the mail, 11 days after receiving the approval email.
Pistol now securely in my safe.
Reverse
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 14 Mar 2020, 5:21 pm

Reverse wrote:Hi everybody,

Just a an update on my situation. Received my license yesterday in the mail, thought I’d let everyone else suffering through the process know how it turned out.

Applied for initial Cat H. Heard nothing after 6 weeks, so gave WLB a quick call to make sure they received everything. The man looked up my file and said yes, got everything, call back at 12 weeks.
Rang back at 12 weeks, the guy looked up my file, and said he’d send the ID check email soon.
I received it 30 minutes later, and went to the local police station the same day.
Received my licence approval 2 days later, along with my PTA approval that I submitted with my application.
I received my licence yesterday in the mail, 11 days after receiving the approval email.

Great news mate, it's a hell of a ride and you don't quite know how to take it with everyone getting different timeline results.

I got reasonably lucky with A/B and everything happened in a best case scenario timeline similar to others' stories, I'll be in for H application mid year, so I'll have the great joy of undergoing the waiting game again.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by CTW » 15 Mar 2020, 1:40 pm

Reverse wrote:Hi everybody,

Congrats! Enjoy shooting your own pistol!
CTW
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 15 Mar 2020, 3:11 pm

Anyone have a rough idea how long PTA for Cat B rifle is taking nowadays? Haven’t put one in for a fair while however the last one was back quite quickly. This one is rapidly approaching the two week mark.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Medb » 15 Mar 2020, 8:47 pm

JimTom wrote:Anyone have a rough idea how long PTA for Cat B rifle is taking nowadays? Haven’t put one in for a fair while however the last one was back quite quickly. This one is rapidly approaching the two week mark.

I put in for a Cat B on the 3rd, got approval email next day on the 4th, was in the letterbox a week later on the 11th. If it's getting emailed to a dealer it's usually even quicker.

This was for a private sale and the guy I purchased it off was amazed I got the PTA done so fast, he said it usually takes 3-4 weeks for him. So evidently you can experience quite different lengths for whatever reason.
Medb
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 16 Mar 2020, 4:55 am

Half your luck mate. That’s a quick turn around for sure. Thanks for the reply mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by CTW » 16 Mar 2020, 7:58 am

rc42 wrote:Just up to the 9 week mark waiting for my Cat H license, with a probable 3 more weeks waiting followed by 2 an additional weeks for license card printing I've got the sinking feeling that COVID-19 is going to set in and shut everything down before then and add many months to the process.

The first confirmed case within WLB will have their office evacuated for at least two weeks, hopefully their computer systems will allow staff to work from home as looking at the information provided about each applicant on their system is largely all they have to do.

Hi rc, these are my concerns too.
We are sitting in times many of people and organisations have not been in before or prepared for. All we can do is just be patient and hope and pray for the best. I am hoping that the rate of infections will start to decrease in the near future showing containment and control over this virus. We are so close to the 12 week mark too!
CTW
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by ridi235 » 16 Mar 2020, 2:26 pm

I put in for Cat A/B on 4/3/20 and got my email for an ID check on 14/3 and went in today and did it. Maybe they're not waiting for the 28 days to do ID checks anymore? The email said they're still yet to assess the application itself and any supporting documents so maybe they're just doing ID checks whenever they look at the app in the first place. On one hand it makes me hopeful that it'll be a quick app but on the other hand I don't want to be disappointed when it's not. Waiting is the worst.
ridi235
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 17 Mar 2020, 8:42 am

Trying to work out how WLB deal with applications will just end in confusion, there are no clear patterns or order for things to happen and no clear timeline other than they will try to process an application in 12 weeks.

The ID check for an A/B application should be automated, but then the entire application process could be automated if they wanted it to be. A real person would have to check the submitted documents and read the information and notes that security services have gathered about each of us but everything else could be automated.

Maybe the problem with the process is the ever increasing volume of security service data covering every website you've ever visited and perhaps every comment that you've ever typed into an internet forum.
And on that note I'd like to add that WLB are a fantastic group of hard working, efficient people that deserve more credit than they get, also, please process my application soon :)
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 17 Mar 2020, 9:27 am

I applied on feb 3 and still no ID check. So the claim that they process in order of receiving is false.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by CTW » 17 Mar 2020, 11:59 am

rc42 wrote:
Maybe the problem with the process is the ever increasing volume of security service data covering every website you've ever visited and perhaps every comment that you've ever typed into an internet forum.
And on that note I'd like to add that WLB are a fantastic group of hard working, efficient people that deserve more credit than they get, also, please process my application soon :)

Hahaha, good one! Let see.
CTW
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 17 Mar 2020, 4:43 pm

Well it took a day shy of two weeks for my latest PTA. Not sure how that compares, however for info for anyone who is in the process of waiting for a PTA.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 20 Mar 2020, 6:40 pm

Just reaching week 10 for my Cat H application (A/B holder already), thought I's be cheeky and see how my application was getting along and what the COVID-19 impacts might be, so gave them a call.

No call queue and very helpful chap had a look for me, he said that they all have the ability to work from home so any lock downs should have minimal effect on their processing. I asked if my application was due to be completed anytime soon, my heart sank when his actual words were "not even close", he did check all attachments and documents and said it all looked good, just waiting in the queue and they'll get to it.

Looks like I need to distract myself for another couple of weeks, at least having an A/B means I can go and put some rounds downrange when I feel the need, I didn't have that during the A/B application.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by CTW » 21 Mar 2020, 10:30 am

rc42 wrote:Just reaching week 10 for my Cat H application (A/B holder already), thought I's be cheeky and see how my application was getting along and what the COVID-19 impacts might be, so gave them a call.

No call queue and very helpful chap had a look for me, he said that they all have the ability to work from home so any lock downs should have minimal effect on their processing. I asked if my application was due to be completed anytime soon, my heart sank when his actual words were "not even close", he did check all attachments and documents and said it all looked good, just waiting in the queue and they'll get to it.

Looks like I need to distract myself for another couple of weeks, at least having an A/B means I can go and put some rounds downrange when I feel the need, I didn't have that during the A/B application.

Hey RC, thanks for the update! It is really posituve that they are still going and that they have the ability to work for home. One step/hurdle at a time.
CTW
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 24 Mar 2020, 7:50 am

Well, all of the sense of urgency and anticipation for my Cat H license has now gone, with ranges shut there would be nowhere to use my new pistol anyway, I guess WLB can now take their time with it over the next 6 months or so and I'll get it one day.

Hopefully my club and the gun store holding my pistol will both survive financially and I'll still be alive at that time. :(
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws