Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Post by Nickemall » 25 Nov 2021, 6:59 pm

Lodged Category H licence - 15/01/2021
Lodged Cat H PTA - 16/01/2021

Licence Approval email - 23/07/2021
PTA Approval email - 16/10/2021

Dealer received PTA last week.
Picked up first handgun yesterday.

A whole new meaning to the word "Patience"
Nickemall
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 26 Nov 2021, 6:32 am

danp3d wrote:....
15/11/21 - Got the PTA approval email just a few minutes after that call :)

This is the most infuriating part of the entire licensing and PTA system, we know that all of the information that they need is on computers right in front of them and their checks can be done and the process completed in just a few minutes yet they have wait times extending to months for no good reason that I've ever heard.
To make things worse, as wait times and service are degrading they are bumping up the charges just because they can.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 26 Nov 2021, 8:58 am

The worst thing about pistols is that you can have one(nobody wants an air) in the first year than unlimited after that. Because according to the government, 2 pistols will turn you into a serial killer. Yet luckily after a year those urges go away.

That is some stupid logic I must say.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by the_sovereign_man » 16 Dec 2021, 11:26 am

H Licence submitted 28/04/2021 - Still waiting

AB PTA x2 submitted 30/08/2021 - Still waiting

Weapons Licensing have been nothing but unhelpful to date
Last edited by the_sovereign_man on 16 Dec 2021, 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
the_sovereign_man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 16 Dec 2021, 12:09 pm

Not good to hear mate. I have a PTA in the system currently, approaching three weeks, which is expected.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 16 Dec 2021, 2:23 pm

Hopefully soon for jimmy so can take that one for a walk during the Xmas break
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by the_sovereign_man » 16 Dec 2021, 3:28 pm

the_sovereign_man wrote:H Licence submitted 28/04/2021 - Still waiting

*UPDATE*

I called WL and asked them to give me the dates that everything was submitted to them and told them I needed the information to pass on to my lawyer as he was drafting a complaint to (a) our local MP, (b) Office of the Commissioner, and (c) Queensland Audit Office based on what we believed to be racial profiling and discrimination.

30 minutes later I had my approval email.

It absolutely should not have had to come to this, but here we are. Squeaky wheel.
the_sovereign_man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 16 Dec 2021, 3:36 pm

the_sovereign_man wrote:
the_sovereign_man wrote:H Licence submitted 28/04/2021 - Still waiting

*UPDATE*

I called WL and asked them to give me the dates that everything was submitted to them and told them I needed the information to pass on to my lawyer as he was drafting a complaint to (a) our local MP, (b) Office of the Commissioner, and (c) Queensland Audit Office based on what we believed to be racial profiling and discrimination.

30 minutes later I had my approval email.

It absolutely should not have had to come to this, but here we are. Squeaky wheel.

Excellent. :drinks:

I often go to speak to my local state member about everything that annoys me. They work for us so it is advantageous to make them earn their keep.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by qld33 » 23 Dec 2021, 4:18 pm

Applied 15/04/21 for A/B
Email approval 23/09/21

Newbie question, im now applying for cat H and it asks for details of your current or most recent licence and what firearms I currently own (obviously no cat H's) - do I list my A/B details here?
Are they re-issuing my current licence? I just thought two applications and fees I would get two licences as they will have different renewal dates?
qld33
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 26 Dec 2021, 11:13 am

qld33 wrote:Applied 15/04/21 for A/B
Email approval 23/09/21

Newbie question, im now applying for cat H and it asks for details of your current or most recent licence and what firearms I currently own (obviously no cat H's) - do I list my A/B details here?
Are they re-issuing my current licence? I just thought two applications and fees I would get two licences as they will have different renewal dates?

You will be issued a separate license for cat H. Expiry will always be your birthdate but can be dated differently depending on the length of license you are applying for (Year wise and how it falls before/after your birthdate).

It's been a little while since I did mine, but if they are asking for other license types, you will need to put your AB license in there, H cat safety course cert, comp shoot record and proof of club/organisation financial membership. If you didn't have an AB license you would need to have your statement of eligibility from QPS in it's place.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 26 Dec 2021, 11:30 am

If in doubt just list the Cat A/B information, it's either what they want or they will ignore it if they were only interested in previous Cat H licenses, the licenses use different numbering systems so are easy to tell apart.

You will also need your club approval letter which they will issue 6 months (plus 1 day) after your probation started, your participation records and your Cat H safety course certificate completed within the last 12 months but all of that should be clearly shown in the application. Note that you can still submit the application even if some of that is missing and add it later by email, it's going to take 6 months to process anyway.

Once submitted you'll have a case reference number that you can use to submit a PTA, that's worth doing, if you submit after your license is approved they'll add another 28 day wait for the PTA.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 26 Dec 2021, 9:02 pm

Queensland weapon licences are referred to as class(Weapons Act section 12) and are issued separately with each one being independent of the other and having their own card. Firearms, concealable firearms, collectors, dealers, instructor, armourer, minors, security, etc are all a class of licence. A pistol(under 75cm in length) is a concealable firearm.

Weapons Act section 15(2) states you do not have to wait the prescribed period(28 days) if you have a licence under a different class. However because it states the authorised officer “may decide” not “must decide” is why most people have to wait because weapons licensing are lazy.

Only A and B firearms allow a limit of 10 year licences. The other categories are limited to 5 years. I can't remember what section of the law states that but its in there.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by qld33 » 06 Jan 2022, 9:25 am

Thanks all, that makes a little more sense.
I ended up supplying my A/B licence and firearms details even though probably not required - the form is pretty generic and open ended so Im sure not the first to do it.

Wont bother with PTA for at least 4 months, I submitted an A/B PTA early and they said it was put in the do nothing pile as my license wasnt approved yet and never made it over to the process pile after recieving license.
qld33
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Pighunter » 12 Jan 2022, 2:11 pm

Put in my Application September 12th
Put in my Aus Post Identification September 13th.
Put in my PTA some point in December.

So far I haven't heard anything. After I put in my Aus Post Identification stuff I expected to get an email confirming it had been received but got nothing? Did other people get an email from Weapons Licensing that your Aus Post identification had been received?
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by qld33 » 13 Jan 2022, 10:13 am

You wont get any notification from them after photo/ identification submission - just hold onto the reciept Auspost gives you.
Just have to trust the system, hopefully you get an email in 1-2 months more.
qld33
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 13 Jan 2022, 10:55 am

Pighunter wrote:Put in my Application September 12th

4 months... (about 16 weeks)
The QLD WLB web site currently says to wait for 20 weeks before contacting them so you can make it a valentines day treat for yourself.

It's already past the point where you can start writing polite letters to your MP, Police Minister and Police Commissioner to let them know that this service and the delays are unacceptable. I won't help you but if enough people do it they may think about fixing it long term.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Pighunter » 13 Jan 2022, 11:33 am

Thank you both, that puts me at ease a little. I had a licence 10 years ago, but the Pigs out in the Lockyer Valley are becoming a real threat to my elderly parents farm to the point my mother is now too scared to go out into her own properties for fear of running into pigs. I've gone out a few times with friends and rocked the spotlight for them (And gotten over 12 adult pigs and 14 piglets). But at this point I've gotta get my licence again to help my parents out as I can't rely on my friends always being available to come help me out
I was just a bit worried about the Aus Post thing but qld33 sets my mind at ease a bit. I'm not concerned about the wait so much I expected it but I was just concerned as I wasn't sure if I would receive an email letting me know that they got it.
I will update when my I get the email confirming my licence to let you guys know exact time frames.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 13 Jan 2022, 11:45 am

Email Mark Ryan(police minister). His staff will reply and they will action the complaint with weapons licensing to get you an answer.

Don't word it rudely, be professional and bureaucratic. You are dealing with public servants so do not expect any due care on their part but a sense of robotic nature for lack of a better word.

Mention how small businesses are struggling in these troubled times and you have the means to help stimulate the economy but you need the licence. The wait goes beyond the reasonable point of public safety and into the realm of professional disregard. Get poetic its your email and your right as a resident of Queensland to talk to your representation.

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advise but merely my personal opinion and understanding on dealing with the issue in a lawful matter. Seek legal advise at your own peril.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Nails » 16 Jan 2022, 8:27 pm

I called WL a couple of weeks ago and although they wouldn’t commit to a processing time, they said about 2 weeks at the moment.
I’ve put 2 cat H and one cat A pta in since then so will let you know when they get done. Hopefully the two weeks was somewhat accurate…
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 16 Jan 2022, 9:37 pm

I put in a Cat H PTA on 23rd Dec... still nothing as we tick past 3 weeks.
The processing time was around 3 weeks for previous PTAs so with the Christmas break it should hopefully turn up this week.

People off with Covid or forced to stay at home as close contacts may also be slowing things but I'd heard that all WLB staff were able to work from home.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by RuinedNoodle » 17 Jan 2022, 12:03 pm

rc42 wrote:I put in a Cat H PTA on 23rd Dec... still nothing as we tick past 3 weeks.
The processing time was around 3 weeks for previous PTAs so with the Christmas break it should hopefully turn up this week.

Put in a Cat H PTA on the 23rd as well, received approval email today. Yours might be soon.
RuinedNoodle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nails » 17 Jan 2022, 2:22 pm

That’s promising, thanks RuinedNoodle
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 18 Jan 2022, 11:20 am

PTA approval for my third 9mm semi-auto Cat H came through this morning.
23rd Dec to 18th Jan (26 days) for those not wanting to scroll up.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Nails » 18 Jan 2022, 1:04 pm

If you take out weekends and public holidays thats 15 business days, not too bad really.
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Nails » 21 Jan 2022, 5:55 pm

Update:
My cat H 1st anniversary was 12/1, WL told me to put in my PTA no more than a week before this, so I sent it in 5/1, then I put in a cat A on 8/1 and another cat H on 13/1.
I got the WL approval today for the first cat H which was a surprise, I thought the cat A would have been first. Hopefully the others will come early next week so I can collect them all in one trip
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Humperdinkel » 28 Jan 2022, 4:58 pm

So far I haven't heard anything. After I put in my Aus Post Identification stuff I expected to get an email confirming it had been received but got nothing? Did other people get an email from Weapons Licensing that your Aus Post identification had been received?

Mate of mine applied for his on the 27th September
Approval email yesterday morning 27th January

4 months to the day :thumbsup:
Winchester Xpert - .22
Savage A22R Pro Varmint - .22
Savage 340 - .222
Howa 1500 VT Fluted - .308
Humperdinkel
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Pighunter » 29 Jan 2022, 11:10 am

Humperdinkel wrote:

Somewhat frustrating that my application has been in for 10 days longer than his has and yet I've heard nothing back yet.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Humperdinkel » 29 Jan 2022, 3:38 pm

Pighunter wrote:
Humperdinkel wrote:

Somewhat frustrating that my application has been in for 10 days longer than his has and yet I've heard nothing back yet.

Yeah it appears they treat them like PTA's, just get to them in no particular order..

My licence expires on Tuesday & I'm yet to have any notification since I paid my renewal :crazy:
Winchester Xpert - .22
Savage A22R Pro Varmint - .22
Savage 340 - .222
Howa 1500 VT Fluted - .308
Humperdinkel
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nails » 01 Feb 2022, 12:24 pm

Nails wrote:Update:
My cat H 1st anniversary was 12/1, WL told me to put in my PTA no more than a week before this, so I sent it in 5/1, then I put in a cat A on 8/1 and another cat H on 13/1.
I got the WL approval today for the first cat H which was a surprise, I thought the cat A would have been first. Hopefully the others will come early next week so I can collect them all in one trip

Cat A came through Friday 28/2 and second cat H this morning 1/2
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Cam_QLD » 02 Feb 2022, 2:34 am

I know this is a little off topic but it does have to do with the extendedqld waiting times. I am now 7 weeks into my wait for my A/B licence (pta already submitted). I had the bright idea of doing some reloading while I waited fior licence to get processed.I am also really keen to get I to reloading my own ammo.

So I went out and bought my press, scales, brass, projectiles only to find out that I can't get powder or primers until I get my licence!!!! Does anybody know a legal work-aroubd getting powder and primers. tThe guy at the gun shop asked if I knew anybody with a licence, why not just get them to take me shopping? Unfortunately I don't know anybody with a licence (I can't really schmooze at my local rifle club at Ipswich and be the only guy without a gun......that's just embarasing). Has anybody got any suggestions?.All I know is that thiis wait is like watching paint dry. . My rifle is waiting for me at the shop, all paid for, and I still have at least 3 months to go.
Cam_QLD
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws