Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Apr-Jun 2019

Post by Macross » 02 Aug 2019, 10:19 am

Hi pjoia, My wife and I are currently in week 6 since applying online for our Cat H. Good possibility we could have another 6 to go.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 05 Aug 2019, 3:32 pm

Just got my Cat A/B approval email through today.

Timeline was as follows:
Applied online 17th June
ID check email arrived 3 weeks, 1 day later on 9th July, completed it same day
Approval email arrived 3 weeks, 6 days after that on 5th August

So 7 weeks to the day from application to approval email, it will likely be 9 weeks by the time the license card arrives though.
PTA was submitted on 17th June so hopefully that will be processed in the next couple of weeks too
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by CorvusTas » 12 Aug 2019, 1:18 pm

I received my A+B approval by email at 7 weeks and 1 day from application, ID confirmation was done at just under 3 weeks.
CorvusTas
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 16 Aug 2019, 5:33 pm

A/B license process now completed for me

Timeline was as follows:
Applied online 17th June
ID check email arrived 3 weeks, 1 day later on 9th July, completed it same day
Approval email arrived 3 weeks, 6 days after that on 5th August
ID card arrived in post 1 week 4 days after that on 16th August

So 8 weeks 4 days from application to License ID card in my hand which seems to be about as fast as they get, still a shocking disgrace for a government service though. The last week waiting for the ID card is by far the worst.
PTA was submitted on 17th June and was emailed to the dealer from WLB on 6th August, the day after my license approval.

My first rifle is a Walther target 22LR and was collected today along with my own ammo.
It's in the safe for the night and ready to go out for its first workout at the range in the morning.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 17 Aug 2019, 10:31 am

Submitted PTA 10:00am Friday and received approval 10:am Saturday. Pretty good service from WLB.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 17 Aug 2019, 10:43 am

Patriot wrote:Submitted PTA 10:00am Friday and received approval 10:am Saturday. Pretty good service from WLB.

Here i am waiting over 2 weeks at the moment.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 17 Aug 2019, 11:01 am

CAVEMAN wrote:
Patriot wrote:Submitted PTA 10:00am Friday and received approval 10:am Saturday. Pretty good service from WLB.

Here i am waiting over 2 weeks at the moment.

So your saying you haven’t received the approval email ?or the actual permit to your LGS?
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Qihuahua » 17 Aug 2019, 11:21 am

Hi all, new member here.

Have had AB license for 6 years. Applied for Cat H mid June 2019, all relevant paperwork etc attached so all was good. Still no notification of sorts.

Which makes me think why do people who apply for an AB license get theirs back so quickly ?? Another shooter with an AB license I know well applied for Cat H a week before me and he got his license in the mail 2 weeks ago...

Which makes me wonder when they say license applications are assessed in order of receipt, false and possibly misleading.
Qihuahua
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 17 Aug 2019, 11:41 am

Neither, called last Thursday to check to see if they accidental slapped a 28 day wait but she says it was just awaiting processing so that was the 12 day mark. So i must be in some sort of black hole.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 17 Aug 2019, 11:53 am

CAVEMAN wrote:Neither, called last Thursday to check to see if they accidental slapped a 28 day wait but she says it was just awaiting processing so that was the 12 day mark. So i must be in some sort of black hole.

That’s sucks.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 20 Aug 2019, 9:21 am

Applied for PTA on Friday, received approval email on Saturday morning, got a phone call from gun shop on Monday morning advising PTA arrived via email. Picked up new coach gun Monday arvo.

Unbelievable.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by shotupbeforesunup » 20 Aug 2019, 2:41 pm

Patriot wrote:Applied for PTA on Friday, received approval email on Saturday morning, got a phone call from gun shop on Monday morning advising PTA arrived via email. Picked up new coach gun Monday arvo.

Unbelievable.

That's good going, Best I've had is about 36hrs back in March this year.

Currently waiting on a PTA that was submitted 6th of August....
shotupbeforesunup
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 20 Aug 2019, 4:55 pm

:) +++1 Certainly is. :)
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by perentie » 21 Aug 2019, 7:52 am

I got confirmation of my payment for a PTA on the 10th. Its now the 21st and have not received the approval yet, let alone the PTA Its for a 12mm black powder rifle and I have several others so its not like a problem.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ghoatman » 21 Aug 2019, 11:01 pm

I applied for a Cat A 12g on 15th August, nothing back yet. :(
No idea when I can actually pick it up anyway, so no rush.
Ghoatman
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 25 Aug 2019, 9:17 pm

QLD WLB have announced that there will be extended delays on PTA processing over the next few months whilst they implement a new system. If they admit to delays of a few days then you can be fairly sure that it will be a few weeks.

https://shootersunion.com.au/some-delay ... -expected/

In reality, they've probably lost the rubber stamper that says 'Approved' and their ordering process is going to take a few months to get another one in.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Macross » 26 Aug 2019, 9:45 am

Thanks for the heads up rc42.

Im in week 10 of waiting for my Cat H application to get processed. Still not seen the ID check stage. Can someone fill me in on that part of the process. Do I have to take a form to the cop shop and then they "process" and send it on to WLB. They took 10 weeks to process my QP0515 form and im worried that if I do have to have the local cop shop involved again its going to take way longer than I was thinking.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by pjoia » 27 Aug 2019, 4:18 pm

Got my Cat A&B in 7 weeks . PTA arrived same day just a couple hours later .
Got my Cat H in 8 weeks. Again PTA arrived a few hours later.
Submitted another PTA for a 223, 3 days ago, still waiting.
pjoia
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Macross » 27 Aug 2019, 4:33 pm

Hey Pjoia, That's awesome mate! What date did you put your application in??

What was the go with the ID check? did they do that close to issuing the licenses?

Pretty jealous that you managed to get Cat H in 8 weeks. AAAhhhhh its like watching some other kids get taken through the side of the queue and put on the roller coaster before you!!!! its excruciating. :D
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by pjoia » 29 Aug 2019, 9:55 am

Hi Macross

Applied for CAT H license and PTA on 9/06/19, both approved on 05/08/2019

Applied for CAT A&B license and PTA on 16/06/19, both approved on 05/08/19.

Cheers
pjoia
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Qihuahua » 29 Aug 2019, 10:32 am

I applied for Cat H and PTA on 16/6/19 .. still no word. Must be one of the ones that has to chase after 12 week mark .. kinda annoying considering I know of others who have got their cat H in the mail mid 9 week mark.
Qihuahua
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 30 Aug 2019, 11:44 pm

Submitted a cat A PTA this week for an air rifle, interestingly WLB are celebrating their reduced service levels with a price increase, it's now $40.50 for them to spend a week or two deciding whether I'm safe to have a low power air rifle.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 31 Aug 2019, 9:44 pm

WLB email notification of Category A air rifle approval received Saturday morning at about 9am, PTA was submitted at about 9pm on the previous Thursday so one full working day for approval (well, rubber stamping really, what licensed person could possibly have an air rifle PTA rejected?)

Still have to wait for WLB to email the PTA approval to the dealer, apparently that usually takes another couple of days.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 05 Sep 2019, 4:03 pm

5 days and counting... still waiting for WLB to email the PTA to the dealer.

Interestingly, the redesigned web site has the text removed that said the 28 day wait was only for the first firearm in any category, it now states that (all) PTAs are subject to a 28 day wait. Hopefully just more of their incompetence updating the text.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 06 Sep 2019, 10:14 am

Called WLB to check for any problems, unfortunately, they are applying another 28 day 'cooling off' period because the 22LR that I obtained a month ago (based on a PTA that they issued) hasn't been updated on their system yet so it still reports that I don't possess any weapons.

I can see now why the dealer made a point of advising to keep the hard copy of the weapon disposal paperwork from them in the safe with the gun as the police probably wouldn't have a record of it if they did a safe inspection.

Given that the justification for a firearms registry is 'public safety' the entire system is a joke, updates aren't processed in a timely fashion and the police know it's full of bad data and don't seem to care. It seems that it's real purpose is just eventual tracking of particular gun models ready for the next round of confiscations.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Macross » 06 Sep 2019, 1:00 pm

11 weeks and counting for my Cat H application to come through. Its really frustrating to just sit and wait till the 12 week mark before you can follow up. I will be really disappointed if I call on the Monday after my 12 weeks is up and they still take weeks after that to process my application. My wife half jokingly said it would be Christmas before we get our license... I scoffed at her and now its actually looking like she might be right.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Nathanthezoologist » 06 Sep 2019, 5:00 pm

Lodged PTA on the 28th of August approval on the 5th of September. Turns out I need to serve another 28 day period because they haven't processed that I already have a gun
Nathanthezoologist
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 08 Sep 2019, 5:38 pm

The legislation mandating a 28 day waiting period states that the delay does not apply if you already have a weapon of that category under your license, I suggest sending an email to weaponslicensing@police.qld.gov.au with a scanned copy of your PTA paperwork from the dealer.
Advise them that the 28 day wait does not apply to your current PTA as per Section 101 (3) of the Weapons Regulation 2016 and ask them to update your license details and waive it.
The previous PTA paperwork from the dealer could be lost or in a backlog pile that won't be processed for months or years, or ever.

They'll probably just ignore you and not respond but it's worth a try.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ozlad » 13 Sep 2019, 6:56 pm

Applied 8th of August. Just completed the ID check 11th September. Is it normally smooth sailing from there? I dont want to go ahead and bolt my safe down until I know I'm not going to be rejected.
Ozlad
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nathanthezoologist » 13 Sep 2019, 7:20 pm

Thanks for the tip rc42 unfortunately the gun I ordered is in backorder so there's not a lot of point since I have to wait for it to come in anyway. The shop didn't tell me it was on backorder until I called about the pta
Nathanthezoologist
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Next

Return to Queensland gun laws