Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Apr-Jun 2019

Post by Macross » 27 Aug 2019, 4:33 pm

Hey Pjoia, That's awesome mate! What date did you put your application in??

What was the go with the ID check? did they do that close to issuing the licenses?

Pretty jealous that you managed to get Cat H in 8 weeks. AAAhhhhh its like watching some other kids get taken through the side of the queue and put on the roller coaster before you!!!! its excruciating. :D
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by pjoia » 29 Aug 2019, 9:55 am

Hi Macross

Applied for CAT H license and PTA on 9/06/19, both approved on 05/08/2019

Applied for CAT A&B license and PTA on 16/06/19, both approved on 05/08/19.

Cheers
pjoia
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Qihuahua » 29 Aug 2019, 10:32 am

I applied for Cat H and PTA on 16/6/19 .. still no word. Must be one of the ones that has to chase after 12 week mark .. kinda annoying considering I know of others who have got their cat H in the mail mid 9 week mark.
Qihuahua
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 30 Aug 2019, 11:44 pm

Submitted a cat A PTA this week for an air rifle, interestingly WLB are celebrating their reduced service levels with a price increase, it's now $40.50 for them to spend a week or two deciding whether I'm safe to have a low power air rifle.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 31 Aug 2019, 9:44 pm

WLB email notification of Category A air rifle approval received Saturday morning at about 9am, PTA was submitted at about 9pm on the previous Thursday so one full working day for approval (well, rubber stamping really, what licensed person could possibly have an air rifle PTA rejected?)

Still have to wait for WLB to email the PTA approval to the dealer, apparently that usually takes another couple of days.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 05 Sep 2019, 4:03 pm

5 days and counting... still waiting for WLB to email the PTA to the dealer.

Interestingly, the redesigned web site has the text removed that said the 28 day wait was only for the first firearm in any category, it now states that (all) PTAs are subject to a 28 day wait. Hopefully just more of their incompetence updating the text.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 06 Sep 2019, 10:14 am

Called WLB to check for any problems, unfortunately, they are applying another 28 day 'cooling off' period because the 22LR that I obtained a month ago (based on a PTA that they issued) hasn't been updated on their system yet so it still reports that I don't possess any weapons.

I can see now why the dealer made a point of advising to keep the hard copy of the weapon disposal paperwork from them in the safe with the gun as the police probably wouldn't have a record of it if they did a safe inspection.

Given that the justification for a firearms registry is 'public safety' the entire system is a joke, updates aren't processed in a timely fashion and the police know it's full of bad data and don't seem to care. It seems that it's real purpose is just eventual tracking of particular gun models ready for the next round of confiscations.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Macross » 06 Sep 2019, 1:00 pm

11 weeks and counting for my Cat H application to come through. Its really frustrating to just sit and wait till the 12 week mark before you can follow up. I will be really disappointed if I call on the Monday after my 12 weeks is up and they still take weeks after that to process my application. My wife half jokingly said it would be Christmas before we get our license... I scoffed at her and now its actually looking like she might be right.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Nathanthezoologist » 06 Sep 2019, 5:00 pm

Lodged PTA on the 28th of August approval on the 5th of September. Turns out I need to serve another 28 day period because they haven't processed that I already have a gun
Nathanthezoologist
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 08 Sep 2019, 5:38 pm

The legislation mandating a 28 day waiting period states that the delay does not apply if you already have a weapon of that category under your license, I suggest sending an email to weaponslicensing@police.qld.gov.au with a scanned copy of your PTA paperwork from the dealer.
Advise them that the 28 day wait does not apply to your current PTA as per Section 101 (3) of the Weapons Regulation 2016 and ask them to update your license details and waive it.
The previous PTA paperwork from the dealer could be lost or in a backlog pile that won't be processed for months or years, or ever.

They'll probably just ignore you and not respond but it's worth a try.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ozlad » 13 Sep 2019, 6:56 pm

Applied 8th of August. Just completed the ID check 11th September. Is it normally smooth sailing from there? I dont want to go ahead and bolt my safe down until I know I'm not going to be rejected.
Ozlad
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nathanthezoologist » 13 Sep 2019, 7:20 pm

Thanks for the tip rc42 unfortunately the gun I ordered is in backorder so there's not a lot of point since I have to wait for it to come in anyway. The shop didn't tell me it was on backorder until I called about the pta
Nathanthezoologist
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Macross » 13 Sep 2019, 8:09 pm

Ive now been patiently waiting for three months since my CatH license online application.

I called WLB today after waiting the 12 weeks till contacting them as per their automated email when submitting license. The guy was really helpful, very good to talk to on the phone. Looked up my case number and mutters something along the lines of..."hmmm that's weird... wait,.... what..." Goes on to tell me that something hadn't been assigned to my case... or I wasn't associated with something.... Said he would fix it up and get the ID check email out to me. Checked my details and sounded all positive.... waited all day and NO email shows up.

I know that once I get my license and im off and running I will never look back and probably wont think much about this process again, till I meet a newbie at the club and then recount my "horror story" of waiting aimlessly for months and months.... but right now its starting to get really annoying just waiting and waiting. Especially when there are others reporting about their experience being much faster. Now that im past the obligatory 12 week mark, im thinking about just called every day to see whats happening.

Sorry... unhelpful and meaningless post that is more just rant and blowing off steam.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Dingo_Lingo » 16 Sep 2019, 12:18 pm

Ozlad wrote:Applied 8th of August. Just completed the ID check 11th September. Is it normally smooth sailing from there? I dont want to go ahead and bolt my safe down until I know I'm not going to be rejected.

I applied on the 27th of July for my A/B licence. Done the police ID check and now I guess it’s just waiting. From responses in this forum and others it seems to be 7-9 weeks on average for the confirmation email. Then about a week for the physical licence to arrive.

It does put the seed of doubt in your mind when you don’t hear anything, I know I’ve never broken a law in my life except a few traffic fines but yeah, makes you unreasonably question yourself I reckon.
Dingo_Lingo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bah » 13 Oct 2019, 1:52 pm

Hi shooters,

Just wondering if anyone has an update on category H processing times. I already own category A and B rifles. Submitted the PTA a week after the license application but they’re normally pre-approved and emailed/faxed out to the dealer as soon as the associated license is approved in my experience.

Cheers!
bah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Macross » 14 Oct 2019, 5:03 pm

Hey Bah,

It took 15 weeks for my wife and I from online application to physical card in the mail... the longest 15 weeks of my life. I called at the 12 week point and was told that my paper work hadn't been associated with my application.. the guy fixed that up in the system and got the emails etc through a few days later and a card in the mail 16 days after that.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ozlad » 14 Oct 2019, 5:06 pm

Got the approval email 14th of October
Ozlad
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Macross » 14 Oct 2019, 5:08 pm

Ozlad wrote:Got the approval email 14th of October

Your close then Ozlad… took 13 days for our license in the mail after the email came through.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Burntbear » 16 Oct 2019, 10:10 pm

Hi Bah - Applied 29-09-19 and submitted PTA current a/b holder will post when i get more news - fingers crossed -

Sorry just realized application date was 29-08-19
Last edited by Burntbear on 05 Nov 2019, 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burntbear
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bah » 17 Oct 2019, 9:28 pm

Cheers burntbear, I appreciate the update.

I applied for the category H on the 01/10/19. Current A/B holder with a few firearms on that license as well. Also a collector. Applied for 9mm PTA on the 09/10/2019 (club took ages to send through the PTA supporting paperwork). Hopefully it doesn’t delay my application by too long.

Fingers crossed we’ll be at the range before Christmas, although it’s hard to say with the varying reports in this thread (8 weeks to 15 weeks?).
bah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Ozlad » 28 Oct 2019, 10:13 pm

Applied 8th of August, recieved licence in the mail 28th of October. Just a touch under 12 weeks all up.
Ozlad
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by tengaix » 30 Oct 2019, 9:41 am

Ozlad wrote:Applied 8th of August, recieved licence in the mail 28th of October. Just a touch under 12 weeks all up.

Hopefully i may see mine soon ,applied 01/09/19.
Ozlad did you apply for PTA at same time and if so did it arrive with license?

Cheers
tengaix
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Fonz_408 » 30 Oct 2019, 11:26 pm

Hi Guys

I've been following this post for some time but my wait is as follows

I'm a A/B holder for 16+ years and have a few weapons on that..

Applied for Cat H 16/08/19
Approval Email 23/10/19 = 9weeks
Today is 30/10/19 nothing with the postie =10weeks
Edit: Licence came 01/11/19 so 10weeks and 2days

Applied for Cat H PTA 21/08/19
Approval 30/10/19..
PTA in mail 03/11/19

This week's sucked hard checked the mail.. even waiting a little bit longer before heading to work, as now I even know the time the postie now comes LOL :roll:
Last edited by Fonz_408 on 18 Nov 2019, 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fonz_408
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by 8x57 » 31 Oct 2019, 9:23 am

This maybe a bit off topic but I did a like for like swap recently, was a great feeling to choose the rifle and walk out with it that day just like a grown up.
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Macross » 01 Nov 2019, 3:17 pm

Hey Fonz_408.... took 16 days for my card to turn up in the mail after getting the email. Postie and I got to have a few chats over those weeks... he probably wonders why I stopped being at the gate to meet him :)
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ozlad » 02 Nov 2019, 4:25 am

Hey tengaix

No I didnt do the PTA at the same time. Got an email saying it will be approved on the 12 of Nov. Hopefully it shows up soon after that.
Ozlad
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Burntbear » 04 Nov 2019, 9:17 pm

Hi Bah - received licence approval via email today - Will post when i get the card in hand - also when I receive my PTA
9 weeks 2 days
Burntbear
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Fonz_408 » 06 Nov 2019, 2:01 pm

Hey macross,

So my Licence came in the post on the 1st/11/19 so 9days got lucky I think... but I've still no PTA as this stage
Fonz_408
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by fitchaj » 06 Nov 2019, 9:08 pm

Applied for Cat H 09/08/19
Approval email 23/10/19
Card in mail 6/11/19

12 weeks and 5 days all up
fitchaj
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oz95 » 20 Nov 2019, 7:09 pm

Applied for Cat H license 22-07-19. Still nothing. Sent 2 emails with no reply. Called weapon's licensing and got told there was a glitch in the system and he was unable to view my application. They verified I had sent all required information and there was nothing for me to do.. Few weeks later and still Left in the dark.. yet again
Oz95
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws