Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Post by Rwd22 » 17 Sep 2020, 4:01 pm

JesseW97 wrote:I applied on the 21st of July and I received my application approval via email today so just under 8 weeks for me. couldn't be happier.

That's great news mate, not a long wait at all!

Sitting on about 12.5 weeks for my Cat H application, fingers crossed it wont be the full 17-20 week wait.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by BuddS » 17 Sep 2020, 4:50 pm

BuddS wrote:Applied 16th May cat A/B + 2 PTA

Recieved email for ID Check 29th July.

Received email for application approval 26th August.

No just waiting for the card and the 2×PTA.

Went in and put down some cash on a Stainless Savage A22R and a Howa 1500 mini action in .223, can't wait to pickup!

Evidence points to being that every time I called, a couple of days later I had some progress....

Licence arrived 7th September with PTA's
BuddS
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by HankScorpio » 21 Sep 2020, 12:47 pm

HankScorpio wrote:My approval email came this morning so I'm pretty chuffed.
That makes it 10 weeks and 1 day since the ID check was completed.
So now we'll see how long until the physical licence arrives (a week or 2?), and no word on the 2 PTAs as yet. But pretty happy with the timeframe considering Covid, weapons switching to a new application process and reading some other member's waittimes.

HankScorpio wrote:New member, thought I'd add my situation to the data:

Applied online for A/B 27/06/20, completed ID check and photograph at post office 30/06/20.
Applied online for 2 PTAs 16/07/20.

Currently at 7 weeks since post office visit, obviously still waiting patiently.

I'm taking advantage of the wait by using it to lay-by the 2 firearms I'll be acquiring when the licence and PTAs come through. Almost paid them off in full, so I'll still have some time to put money aside for ammo, optics and other bits and bobs.

Another update:
I'm hoping the licence will arrive in the post this week after receiving the approval email on 9/9/20.
Meanwhile I had no word on the 2 Cat A PTAs applied for on the 16/07/20.
I just gave Weapons a call and they were really helpful and processed them on the spot. I actually got the approval emails while still on the phone! :clap:
So the dealer should have received them by close of business tomorrow.
Hopefully I can pick up the firearms before the end of the week. :thumbsup:
HankScorpio
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by CairnsShooter » 23 Sep 2020, 8:00 pm

Rifle and physical card license arrived today (23rd Sept 2020). Timeframe as follows:

Applied for AB License 30June 2020
Applied for PTA 2 days later
Received email confirmation of license 9the September
Called the next day to find out what the go was with the PTA. Guy approved it whilst I was on the phone. Was emailed directly to dealer.
Dealer confirmed delivery / receipt of PTA 2 days later, and confirmed that rifle was about to be sent out.
Physical license (card) plus rifle arrived on the same day - being today (23rd Sept).

Now the entire process starts again for the H license...... Let’s see how that goes.
CairnsShooter
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by HankScorpio » 23 Sep 2020, 8:29 pm

Licence arrived in the mail today, took off to pick up the Adler and Savage I'd had on order and some ammo before work.
Just made it, now for work to finish so I can have a closer look at them.

And, I'm just starting the whole process again as I've started applying for my Cat H next. Was just waiting on my Cat A/B licence.

I'll post the progress here. So far joined a club (Shooter's Union, lifetime), organised the character references, did my declaration of belonging/not belonging to another pistol club, got my A/B so I don't need a statement of eligibility from the police so I think that's it.
Now to send that all off and start my 6 months probation and get some shoots in.
HankScorpio
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 30 Sep 2020, 4:05 pm

Rwd22 wrote:Cat H application submitted online today, will be putting through the PTA in the next day or so, let the long wait begin.

Edit: Cat H PTA submitted - 23/6
23/6 - Received Email to attend Auspost to produce proof of indentity within 28 days.

Got the email approval for Cat H application today, hopefully have the piece of plastic in the next 2 weeks along with a PTA.

Applied 23/6
ID Check email - 23/6
Approval Email - 30/9.

Looks like 14 weeks and 1 Day, Mrs applied for her Cat H on the same day and received her email approval today too.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Steve » 30 Sep 2020, 9:01 pm

I also got the email approval for Cat H application today,

Applied 23/6

Approval Email - 30/9.

Still waiting on my PTA I put in a couple of months ago.
Steve
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Macross » 05 Oct 2020, 8:15 am

14 days and counting on a CatH PTA.... Submitted on the 21/09
Second CatH PTA submitted on 02/10
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 14 Oct 2020, 8:45 pm

Rwd22 wrote:
Rwd22 wrote:Cat H application submitted online today, will be putting through the PTA in the next day or so, let the long wait begin.

Edit: Cat H PTA submitted - 23/6
23/6 - Received Email to attend Auspost to produce proof of indentity within 28 days.

Got the email approval for Cat H application today, hopefully have the piece of plastic in the next 2 weeks along with a PTA.

Applied 23/6
ID Check email - 23/6
Approval Email - 30/9.

Looks like 14 weeks and 1 Day, Mrs applied for her Cat H on the same day and received her email approval today too.

Cat H License turned up in the post today, no PTA as of yet. Mrs license turned up today too and also received her PTA, she got the PTA approval email a week ago.

Bit of a bummer as I put my PTA in before her and haven't even received an approval email yet, might give WLB a buzz tomorrow to make sure it hasn't been forgotten.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Macross » 16 Oct 2020, 11:18 am

A mate at my club said last night that the first PTA you put in after your initial 12 months is up can take longer... his PTA for the second gun took 2 months!!! Does this sound right, that the PTA takes much longer for your second handgun post the 12 month restriction on only having one pistol.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bigfoot88 » 21 Oct 2020, 7:52 pm

I just had a quick look at the QLD weapons licensing website and noticed it's back to waiting 15 - 20 weeks before making contact with them.
Bigfoot88
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by BigB1 » 22 Oct 2020, 9:55 pm

Bigfoot88 wrote:I just had a quick look at the QLD weapons licensing website and noticed it's back to waiting 15 - 20 weeks before making contact with them.

That is rediculous!
BigB1
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Quirinus » 06 Nov 2020, 8:49 am

And the wait begins for AB & H.
Quirinus
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 06 Nov 2020, 10:22 am

Macross wrote:A mate at my club said last night that the first PTA you put in after your initial 12 months is up can take longer... his PTA for the second gun took 2 months!!! Does this sound right, that the PTA takes much longer for your second handgun post the 12 month restriction on only having one pistol.

I put in my first PTA (22 rimfire) about a month after my license application, it came through a couple of days after the license approval which took 6 months.
My second PTA for an air pistol which I submitted a month after my license came through was processed in about 2 weeks,

I'm eagerly waiting for next June so I can submit PTAs for centerfire pistols, there are so many competitions that I just can't attend at the moment, especially as club guns are not available due to covid.

It's ridiculous that I'm nearly 18 months into pistol club membership, own a pistol already but can't have another until I reach the 2 year point. Hopefully I won't have to wait an additional couple of months on top of that.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Quirinus » 06 Nov 2020, 2:42 pm

Another ridiculous thing is that applying online you have to pay application fee to get AB, then another application fee for H.
Quirinus
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jay76 » 09 Nov 2020, 6:46 pm

It has been 15 weeks wait so far on my cat H. Hope it is not too much longer
Remington 7615 223
Lithgow 308
Lithgow 6.5 creedmoor
Tikka 6.5 creedmoor
Adler B230
Winchester 94
smith &wesson M&P 9 M2.0
jay76
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by NM15 » 30 Nov 2020, 6:10 pm

jay76 wrote:It has been 15 weeks wait so far on my cat H. Hope it is not too much longer

Are you still waiting Jay? I'm only 2 weeks behind you.
NM15
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jay76 » 01 Dec 2020, 10:52 pm

NM15 wrote:
jay76 wrote:It has been 15 weeks wait so far on my cat H. Hope it is not too much longer

I got my approval email today. On Sunday I sent an email to the police commissioner saying how unsatisfactory our weapons licensing is. And asked him to look into it.
Remington 7615 223
Lithgow 308
Lithgow 6.5 creedmoor
Tikka 6.5 creedmoor
Adler B230
Winchester 94
smith &wesson M&P 9 M2.0
jay76
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by NM15 » 03 Dec 2020, 10:11 pm

jay76 wrote:
NM15 wrote:

I got my approval email today. On Sunday I sent an email to the police commissioner saying how unsatisfactory our weapons licensing is. And asked him to look into it.

Hopefully I only have about 2 weeks left now... I was hoping to have my 9mm by Christmas.
NM15
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Husky243 » 07 Dec 2020, 3:32 pm

The Licensing Team are currently processing a large volume of new licence applications, with the majority of licence applications being processed within seventeen to twenty weeks.

17-20 weeks from the Qld license weapons news website. I’m 11 weeks in and just submitted PTA so hopefully all good for mid-late January
Husky243
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Chinballs » 09 Dec 2020, 1:27 pm

Despite being told in early September my Form 4b to add post '47 handguns to my collector license was approved it did not arrive for another three months. Turned up yesterday which makes it eight and a half months from lodging the paperwork to getting my new card. When I was told it was approved it had actually only been recommended to be approved, it then sat on the Authorised Officer's desk until early November and then another month before my new license car turned up. They have introduced a new design for licenses as well. Image

Can't wait to see how long they take for my first post '47 handgun PTA....
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by jay76 » 09 Dec 2020, 7:34 pm

Chinballs wrote:Despite being told in early September my Form 4b to add post '47 handguns to my collector license was approved it did not arrive for another three months. Turned up yesterday which makes it eight and a half months from lodging the paperwork to getting my new card. When I was told it was approved it had actually only been recommended to be approved, it then sat on the Authorised Officer's desk until early November and then another month before my new license car turned up. They have introduced a new design for licenses as well. Image

Can't wait to see how long they take for my first post '47 handgun PTA....

I sent a complaint email to the police commissioners office and had my Cat H license and 2 PTAs approved together within two days of email.
Remington 7615 223
Lithgow 308
Lithgow 6.5 creedmoor
Tikka 6.5 creedmoor
Adler B230
Winchester 94
smith &wesson M&P 9 M2.0
jay76
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by BigB1 » 10 Dec 2020, 7:10 pm

Finally got my approval email on Monday after 12 weeks and a couple of phonecalls. How long normally until the card comes through?? Rifle is paid off already and PTA is at 5 weeks with no email on that yet.
BigB1
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 10 Dec 2020, 8:58 pm

Card comes through typically just under 2 weeks after your approval email, your PTA email notification should come through in the next day or so and the dealer will get the official copy in a couple of days. No rush for that though as you need the card with you when you collect your rifle and buy ammo.

Note that when you transport it home it needs to be out of sight in the car and in a gun bag or original box with the bolt removed or a trigger lock fitted.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by BigB1 » 10 Dec 2020, 9:03 pm

rc42 wrote:Card comes through typically just under 2 weeks after your approval email, your PTA email notification should come through in the next day or so and the dealer will get the official copy in a couple of days. No rush for that though as you need the card with you when you collect your rifle and buy ammo.

Note that when you transport it home it needs to be out of sight in the car and in a gun bag or original box with the bolt removed or a trigger lock fitted.

Thanks - appreciate it. The wait has been killing me!
BigB1
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Chinballs » 10 Dec 2020, 9:36 pm

rc42 wrote:Note that when you transport it home it needs to be out of sight in the car and in a gun bag or original box with the bolt removed or a trigger lock fitted.

Why do people insist on telling new shooters to comply with rules that don't exist? There is no requirement to have it in a gun bag or box, nor to have the bolt removed or a trigger lock fitted. If your car has a boot you can chuck it in there as long as it is unloaded. Even if you don't have a boot it just has to be unloaded and in a securely closed container out of sight ie under a blanket.

Refer to Section 96 of the Weapons Regulation 2016.
https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/view ... 131#sec.96
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 10 Dec 2020, 11:18 pm

Chinballs wrote:There is no requirement to have it in a gun bag or box, nor to have the bolt removed or a trigger lock fitted.

Because the moment you step out of the vehicle and lock it you are no longer in control of it so section 95 applies, it might also apply if there are unlicensed people in the vehicle, maybe in the back and closer to the firearm.
Would you want to test that in court or is removing the bolt or fitting a trigger lock the more sensible option
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Nails » 10 Jan 2021, 2:39 pm

Not sure if this has been asked before...
Anyone know how long it takes Weapons Licensing to register a new weapon against your licence?
Reason is that I got my licence in August 2020 and 4 approved PTAs shortly after. I bought my first guns in September 2020 and recently bought a fifth with a new PTA application. Gun shop told me that if WL haven’t yet registered any of the previous guns, I would have to wait the 28 day period.
I’ll try to call them this week anyway and repost if it helps anyone else.
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Humperdinkel » 10 Jan 2021, 3:46 pm

Nails wrote:Not sure if this has been asked before...
Anyone know how long it takes Weapons Licensing to register a new weapon against your licence?
Reason is that I got my licence in August 2020 and 4 approved PTAs shortly after. I bought my first guns in September 2020 and recently bought a fifth with a new PTA application. Gun shop told me that if WL haven’t yet registered any of the previous guns, I would have to wait the 28 day period.
I’ll try to call them this week anyway and repost if it helps anyone else.

I recently had the same situation & weapons licensing told me it can be up to 6 months depending when the LGS submit their end of the PTA paperwork... It a ridiculous system to say the least. You could buy a firearm, sell it, the the new owner could sell it before anybody knows where the hell it is !!
Winchester Xpert - .22
Savage A22R Pro Varmint - .22
Savage 340 - .222
Howa 1500 VT Fluted - .308
Humperdinkel
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nails » 10 Jan 2021, 4:04 pm

Wow, that’s ridiculous, with all the time restrictions placed on us, it would seem logical that they should have a time limit on this too.
I’ll call them tomorrow and see if they’ve got around to it yet.
Thanks for the reply
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws