Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Post by rc42 » 23 May 2020, 4:35 pm

The deterrent side only works if there is something you can do about it, we don't leave firearms sitting at the dealer by choice and just have to swallow any charges they impose and then just don't use that dealer again.
The best option is to avoid those dealers completely if waiting on a license and only buy from the ones that don't charge, I doubt the bad ones encourage new applicants not to buy and pay for their guns till the license has arrived.

My pistol licensing journey started on 6th June last year with my QP515 submission so I've passed the 150 days total for my Cat H, that would suck for an A/B license though. That wait is a disgrace and likely a deliberate deterrent to applications, it's not as if they need to do much more than look up names on their computer, they're not searching through banks of filing cabinets or doing security clearance vetting by interviewing your friends and family.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by CTW » 25 May 2020, 9:32 am

rc42 wrote:Which gun store is that? name and shame them so others can avoid them.

I use Shooters Delight in Underwood, Brisbane, they don't have any storage charges for new purchases if they have to hold them while you wait for licensing, the benefit to them is they get the sale and they get it early.

With everything slowing down due to restrictions I'm expecting the card in about 3 weeks but as long as it arrives before my pistol club opens I'll be happy, my PTA should come through in that time too, those are being processed very quickly at the moment (probably because hardly anyone is looking at licensing)

If they actually charge me when I pick up my pistol (which I paid for in full in January) I will put their name up here. I am going argue against it and see what they say. The resaon I bought it then was that it is a used pistol in very good condition and was going at a very good price and I really did not expect to wait more than 12 weeks but I guess neither did the gun shop. I did not want to miss it. Lets see. I am just wanting to get through this licence approval and card stage right now. I will worry about that later.
CTW
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by anmars73 » 26 May 2020, 5:10 pm

My wait times.

Applied for LIC and PTA - 21/02/2020
Got ID visit to local Police station email - 06/03/2020
Email Confirmation of Licence - 15/05/2020
Licence in mail - 25/05/2020

hoping my PTA gets emailed to the dealer soon ,as I applied withing 5 minutes of the licence.
anmars73
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by CTW » 26 May 2020, 8:40 pm

anmars73 wrote:My wait times.

hoping my PTA gets emailed to the dealer soon ,as I applied withing 5 minutes of the licence.

That is great. Enjoy.
Was that for a Cat AB or Cat H?
CTW
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by GlockMaster » 26 May 2020, 10:33 pm

Applied AB license 22/03/2020
ID Check 29/03/2020
Still waiting to hear anything back after that.

I know some other people who applied about 2 weeks before I did, they also had their ID check a week after submitting application. They have not been issued with a license yet either.
GlockMaster
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by RuinedNoodle » 27 May 2020, 11:24 am

anmars73 wrote:My wait times.

Congrats. Astounding that they approved your license at 12 weeks exactly.
RuinedNoodle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by brian » 27 May 2020, 5:33 pm

applied 25-2 pta 14-3 id 11-3 hopefully it is close
brian
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by CTW » 28 May 2020, 11:56 am

Applied for Cat H on 16 January - Approved 28 May. Exactly 19 weeks. Hopeful that the card and PTA will not be too far away.
AB licence held since Feb 2016.
CTW
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 28 May 2020, 12:13 pm

Good work everyone. I put in a Cat A PTA yesterday. Lets see how long it takes.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by RuinedNoodle » 28 May 2020, 1:06 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:Good work everyone. I put in a Cat A PTA yesterday. Lets see how long it takes.

Nice, what are you thinking of getting?
RuinedNoodle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 28 May 2020, 1:38 pm

RuinedNoodle wrote:
AussieCapitalist wrote:Good work everyone. I put in a Cat A PTA yesterday. Lets see how long it takes.

Nice, what are you thinking of getting?

:friends:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9& ... MdjLfR6eKE

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13746
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 28 May 2020, 6:50 pm

CTW wrote:Applied for Cat H on 16 January - Approved 28 May. Exactly 19 weeks. Hopeful that the card and PTA will not be too far away.

:thumbsup:
Great news, people are reporting about 2 weeks for A/B cards to arrive so hopefully not too much longer.
Do you have a PTA in progress too? I submitted one in early Feb, still heard nothing about that, ranges might be opening in 2 weeks so there's still plenty of time.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by CTW » 28 May 2020, 7:18 pm

rc42 wrote:
CTW wrote:Applied for Cat H on 16 January - Approved 28 May. Exactly 19 weeks. Hopeful that the card and PTA will not be too far away.

:thumbsup:
Great news, people are reporting about 2 weeks for A/B cards to arrive so hopefully not too much longer.
Do you have a PTA in progress too? I submitted one in early Feb, still heard nothing about that, ranges might be opening in 2 weeks so there's still plenty of time.

I am relieved to say the least. PTA was put in on 21 Jan. At this stage I am not too concerned about the PTA coming through. Let us know when yours comes theough. I will start camping at my letter box in a week from now just in case my card arrives.
CTW
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 29 May 2020, 9:23 am

Submitted CAT A PTA 0920 29.05.20

See how long it takes
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 30 May 2020, 10:15 am

Patriot wrote:Submitted CAT A PTA 0920 29.05.20

See how long it takes

PTA approval email 10.10am 30.05.20.

Just over 24 hours, pretty good service.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 30 May 2020, 11:48 am

It seems like WLB have divided up tasks for the staff working from home with most of them just processing new A/B PTAs so the backlog has gone and turnaround is faster than it's ever been.
I suspect a good number are working on license renewals but fewer than usual on new A/B licenses and almost nobody on Cat H licenses or PTAs.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 30 May 2020, 4:19 pm

rc42 wrote:It seems like WLB have divided up tasks for the staff working from home with most of them just processing new A/B PTAs so the backlog has gone and turnaround is faster than it's ever been.
I suspect a good number are working on license renewals but fewer than usual on new A/B licenses and almost nobody on Cat H licenses or PTAs.

I got conformation that a PTA for A/B takes bugger all to complete, literally a few minutes. All they do is just look up if you have committed a crime in the last few days or so then approve. Even Cat H is not much more to investigate and C/D is not long either. The process is very quick but the time it takes for them to look at it is what is pathetic. Scrapping the whole PTA system needs to occur. The dealers record the S/N anyway when they sell the firearm. I really feel like scrapping the PTA process as well as cat C licences being available for sport shooters is in the realm of possibilities that can be achieved within the next 5-10 years. You can get a self loading 10 shot 45 cal handgun with a cat H licence after a bit of hassle but a little 10 shot self loading 22LR rifle is heavily restricted. That is bizarre.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by CTW » 01 Jun 2020, 2:08 pm

Applied for PTA 21 January and approved 01 June.
Now just the card.
CTW
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 01 Jun 2020, 5:12 pm

CTW wrote:

Applied for PTA 21 January and approved 01 June.
Now just the card.

That's great news mate, hopefully you have the card in your hands shortly! Looking forward to applying for Cat H in about 3 weeks time.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Dazed and Confused » 01 Jun 2020, 5:21 pm

Applied for a PTA on the 21st May and received approval today. Not a bad turn around.
Dazed and Confused
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 01 Jun 2020, 5:47 pm

Hey CTW, awesome news on the Cat H PTA, mine was submitted 17th Feb so shouldn't be too far away now.
My license card will likely arrive at the end of this week or beginning of next week too.

Still waiting on an update on the pistol ranges, hopefully the early move to stage 2 restriction easing in QLD will help.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 01 Jun 2020, 10:02 pm

rc42 wrote:Hey CTW, awesome news on the Cat H PTA, mine was submitted 17th Feb so shouldn't be too far away now.
My license card will likely arrive at the end of this week or beginning of next week too.

Still waiting on an update on the pistol ranges, hopefully the early move to stage 2 restriction easing in QLD will help.

Which range do you shoot at rc? My club announced they'll be opening a week earlier than expected, on the 6th of June, originally was going to be 13th.

Had the club put in a PTA for me on a Shadow 2, got that all sorted today and pistol is now sitting at the range waiting for me, can't wait to swing on my own instead of the town bike club gun :lol:
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 01 Jun 2020, 11:58 pm

Brisbane SSAA, still waiting on the updated announcement for range opening and conditions, they are trying to get clarification about whether it's 20 people per range or 20 on the whole site (the latter would be stupid and unworkable but this is a Labor government so actually seems more likely)

I really hope I don't have to spend too much time with a new un-fired pistol in my safe waiting for the range to open
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 02 Jun 2020, 8:14 am

Cat H PTA email approval came through this morning, before 8am.
All I need now is for the card to arrive and in a couple of days I can collect my firearm.

Then I just need the range to open so I have somewhere to use it.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 02 Jun 2020, 8:31 am

Good stuff mate. You have had a long blood wait man.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 02 Jun 2020, 3:36 pm

OMG... What a day...

Just checked the post and my Cat H license card is here, the wait is finally over...

Just a PTA to arrive at the dealer needed, which will probably be tomorrow, then I can collect my pistol.

Then I can clean it and polish it and look at and then clean and polish and look some more and repeat until the range opens
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Macross » 02 Jun 2020, 4:18 pm

Congrats rc42!!! nothing like that little bit of plastic turning up to make your day. Second only to the day you walk into the LGS and slap it on the table to pick up ya baby!!! What did you get?
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 02 Jun 2020, 5:05 pm

Ruger Mk IV Hunter, should do nicely as a jack of all trades pistol for all of the different events.
I'm really looking forward to trying the action events that are only available to licensed shooters and I certainly won't miss borrowing and sharing the club guns that nobody has ever sighted in.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by CTW » 02 Jun 2020, 6:00 pm

rc42 wrote:OMG... What a day...

Just checked the post and my Cat H license card is here, the wait is finally over...

Just a PTA to arrive at the dealer needed, which will probably be tomorrow, then I can collect my pistol.

Then I can clean it and polish it and look at and then clean and polish and look some more and repeat until the range opens

That is great news RC! It has been a long road. I think we almost set a record for longest Cat H wait. If SSAA are not open when you get the pistol, there is a small indoor range in Bremner Road Rothwell. I think they charge $20 a visit. I am also a member at SSAA but will probably use Rothwell to sight it in and get used to it.
CTW
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 02 Jun 2020, 7:15 pm

Hey CTW, thanks for the tip, I found their web page, open Tues to Thurs till 8:30pm and $20 for other club members

http://www.k2security.com.au/home-secur ... stol-club/
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws