Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Post by str8shutr » 19 Jul 2021, 12:54 pm

rc42 wrote:
BigB1 wrote:That is gold - good onya. Keep us posted on the responses and any improvement in processing times please

Do you mean the eventual generic response from a political staff member that will never forward the email to the intended recipients?
Followed by the addition of the sender's email address tot he party's propaganda/spam email lists.

Unless they get such emails in the thousands they will just be ignored, a personal visit to your local member is the only thing likely to get further and at best that will be a question on notice which the Minister will see but will still reply with a generic response.

Everyone being made to wait an unreasonable time should be sending these emails though, and for those still waiting there's no excuse that you're too busy as it's not like you can go shooting instead ;)

rc42, I wish your scepticism wasn't required. After a week and no response, I've followed up.

Last week, I sent the letter in using the cabinet web portal and contact page:
https://cabinet.qld.gov.au/ministers-portfolios.aspx
Following submission a web page pops up and tells you:]
Thank you for your message, it has been sent successfully.

But when you think about it, that's not the same as "received by the recipient and we're doing something". It's all a bit vague.

Given the silence, I did some more searching and found:
https://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/members/current/list
There, I was able to find the actual email addresses for the relevant politicians rather than some generic contact page that could be filing your request in a bottomless pit.

Now at least I've got a "message received" that gives some comfort. The real test will be getting either an actual response or the reply to this request:
I would also appreciate a forecast or indication of the likely timing in turning around a response.

Personally, that gets the voice of Jean Luc Picard in my head going, "Scepticism drive, engage!" but I'll try and think positive thoughts instead.
str8shutr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by smartalec » 04 Aug 2021, 3:30 pm

Coming up on 19 weeks at the end of the week waiting for my licence, haven't heard a thing. Unbelievable that it can take this long
smartalec
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Cool fish » 04 Aug 2021, 5:00 pm

smartalec wrote:Coming up on 19 weeks at the end of the week waiting for my licence, haven't heard a thing. Unbelievable that it can take this long

Same boat here! It's 18th week, and nothing happened.
.22lr Tikka T1X
.22lr CZ452
.357mag Marlin 1894 CSBL
.223 Remington 700 SPS Tactical
.223 Browning X Bolt Stalker Stainless
.308 Tikka T3X A1
12G Sulun Tac-12
Cool fish
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Ruin » 06 Aug 2021, 5:45 pm

I used to work in the gold industry in WA. We required a police check from the Gold Stealing Detection Unit, not just a national police clearance. If you had lived in WA it took a couple of days. If you had lived interstate or international it took quite a bit longer. Is this the problem with firearm licence wait times?
Ruin
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by smartalec » 10 Aug 2021, 8:50 am

Ruin wrote:I used to work in the gold industry in WA. We required a police check from the Gold Stealing Detection Unit, not just a national police clearance. If you had lived in WA it took a couple of days. If you had lived interstate or international it took quite a bit longer. Is this the problem with firearm licence wait times?

I've lived in QLD for 21 years and I already have a valid Police check for my current job, so I don't think this is a factor. Unfortunately 20 weeks wait is pretty standard for QLD. I'm over 19 weeks now, still haven't heard a thing. QLD weapons licensing advises not to follow up until 20 weeks have passed. My theory is that they want to try and drain any enthusiasm you have for the sport of shooting by making you wait so long that by the time you actually get the licence that maybe you won't care any more.
smartalec
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Cool fish » 11 Aug 2021, 11:15 am

smartalec wrote:
Ruin wrote:I used to work in the gold industry in WA. We required a police check from the Gold Stealing Detection Unit, not just a national police clearance. If you had lived in WA it took a couple of days. If you had lived interstate or international it took quite a bit longer. Is this the problem with firearm licence wait times?

I've lived in QLD for 21 years and I already have a valid Police check for my current job, so I don't think this is a factor. Unfortunately 20 weeks wait is pretty standard for QLD. I'm over 19 weeks now, still haven't heard a thing. QLD weapons licensing advises not to follow up until 20 weeks have passed. My theory is that they want to try and drain any enthusiasm you have for the sport of shooting by making you wait so long that by the time you actually get the licence that maybe you won't care any more.

It is true. When I lodged the application, they said that don't follow up until 15 weeks. When I reached 15 weeks and gave them call, they said that allow 18-20 weeks to follow up. Alright, when I reached 18 weeks, they said that all applications will be processed within 20 weeks. :unknown:
.22lr Tikka T1X
.22lr CZ452
.357mag Marlin 1894 CSBL
.308 Tikka T3X A1
12G Sulun Tac-12
Cool fish
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by smartalec » 16 Aug 2021, 3:59 pm

Finally got the long awaited approval email today, 20 weeks to the day. I called up on Friday last week to check on the progress, the licensing officer told me that it was in the queue and would be looked at today. So the reality is, it actually only takes a day to process your application, but it takes 20 weeks to make it through the queue. Sounds like they are severely under resourced.
smartalec
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Joe » 16 Aug 2021, 4:06 pm

Hi I'm a newby I applied for my qld a,b licence on 24 th march ,called weapons licensing today,he told me my app had been processed and sent on to another guy there to be approved but couldn't give me an eta ,apparently the guy who does the final process is new and that was it.can anyone tell me if this is or has been the case for them and also how much longer do you think it should be ,any feedback will be appreciated, thank you
Joe
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Cool fish » 16 Aug 2021, 4:19 pm

smartalec wrote:Finally got the long awaited approval email today, 20 weeks to the day. I called up on Friday last week to check on the progress, the licensing officer told me that it was in the queue and would be looked at today. So the reality is, it actually only takes a day to process your application, but it takes 20 weeks to make it through the queue. Sounds like they are severely under resourced.

congrats mate!
.22lr Tikka T1X
.22lr CZ452
.357mag Marlin 1894 CSBL
.308 Tikka T3X A1
12G Sulun Tac-12
Cool fish
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Danny » 16 Aug 2021, 10:23 pm

Anyone know what the current wait for a pta to come through is?
Danny
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Joeseb87 » 19 Aug 2021, 8:46 pm

I have been waiting 16 days for a pta and nothing,
Joeseb87
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by dreysi » 19 Aug 2021, 11:20 pm

I put my ID in at the post on the 16th of March and I got my email to confirm my license on the 13th of August. Just waiting for the card to get printed. I put my to ptas in one week and two weeks after that. And then I got the email for those on the 16th and 17th of August
dreysi
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by randomwally » 31 Aug 2021, 8:20 pm

Applied for Cat A PTA online on 8/8/2021.
Approved and received email notification 25/8/2021.
Arrived in post 31/8/2021.
randomwally
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Adair0 » 04 Sep 2021, 7:52 pm

CAT A/B applied 14/04/21
Called up because it has been 20 weeks. Said they are currently processing Marchand to expect approx another 4 weeks - assume that’s until they approve it and there will be further wait until physical card. She said it had made its way to Team Leaders desk.
Adair0
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Batesy » 21 Sep 2021, 2:50 pm

Cat A/B applied 17/4/21
Approval email received 8/9/21
PTA email received 15/9/21
License arrived in the mail 22/9/21

It'll be interesting to see what kind of answer this question on notice receives...
https://documents.parliament.qld.gov.au ... 4-2021.pdf
Batesy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by MtnMan » 27 Sep 2021, 6:32 am

How long does it usually take to get an updated weapons list after trading in a rifle and buying a new one at a dealer? I did so in early July and nothing yet.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 27 Sep 2021, 6:59 am

MtnMan wrote:How long does it usually take to get an updated weapons list after trading in a rifle and buying a new one at a dealer? I did so in early July and nothing yet.

Have you asked for one? I'm not sure that it's something that WLB automatically issues any more.
I never bothered; all I ever did was to meticulously maintain my own records - date of purchase, date of sale, PTA number, dealer licence # etc. Probably a better record than plod maintains. Never been a problem in 16yrs, so far.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 27 Sep 2021, 10:22 am

It appears that processing paperwork from dealers and updating the registry (that is essential for them to maintain for 'public safety') is the lowest priority WLB work and they don't have enough staff for the highest priority work like license renewals.

Most stories from shooters about inspections have mentions about the registry information being out of date and in some cases completely wrong so all you can do is keep your own records and have all of the relevant PTA paperwork to hand for every firearm that you have ever had possession of.

I received a blank weapons list when I first got my license about 2 years ago and have received no updates since then so I don't think that happens anymore.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by MtnMan » 27 Sep 2021, 10:45 am

Weird, because they expressly state that the weapons list is a part of your license and must be kept as such.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 29 Sep 2021, 6:25 pm

You wont receive an updated weapons list unless you request one, when your licence comes up for renewal you will receive one with the new licence card (Typically on the back of the letter, from memory).

Below from the FAQ of WLB website.

"I would like a new weapons list, how can this occur?"

Email weaponslicensing@police.qld.gov.au with a request for a weapons list, include your full name, the licence number/s you would like a weapons list for. Weapons Licensing will generate a new weapons list as soon as practical and will forward the list to the email address currently recorded on your profile.

Keeping in mind it takes quite a few weeks for one to be 'registered' against you.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by HankScorpio » 03 Oct 2021, 9:49 am

Right on 20 weeks since I lodged my Cat H application, no email yet. Someone I know recently got theirs after 25 weeks.
I'll probably put in a PTA for a handgun in a week or two and give them a call a week or two after that, assuming no email at that point.
HankScorpio
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by str8shutr » 06 Oct 2021, 1:19 pm

Batesy wrote:It'll be interesting to see what kind of answer this question on notice receives...
https://documents.parliament.qld.gov.au ... 4-2021.pdf

:thumbsup: Thanks for that tip. Useful stuff.

Just got email notification that my Cat A/B licence is approved. In calendar time, that took 19 weeks and 5 days, so just inside the published time frame.

Now for the actual card... :crazy:
str8shutr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by HankScorpio » 06 Oct 2021, 2:34 pm

Got my Cat H approval email today, just over 20 weeks. :drinks:
HankScorpio
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Remontoire » 18 Oct 2021, 1:16 am

Thanks to all who have been posting in this thread, I have been checking it almost daily...

My license finally came through so I thought I would join and provide some info for others lurking and wondering how long
they might have still to wait.

04/05/2021 Applied Online, Went to Post Office the next day to show IDs and get free photo taken.
24/09/2021 Received Email Advising New Licence Application had been approved. (20 weeks and 3 days later)
08/10/2021 Received Actual License in Mail (22 weeks and 3 days)

02/10/2021 Went to LGS, Selected some rifles and had the LGS put in the PTAs (Cat A & Cat B), got the PTA confirmation emails while still in store.
16/10/2021 Received Email advising both PTAS will be approved on 31/10/2021 (2 weeks / will be 4 weeks and 1 day all up)

I know I could have gone to the LGS and got the PTA'S done sooner - However from this forum, and others,
it seemed like 20 weeks was maybe average and some reports that they were taking far longer.
Remontoire
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by the_sovereign_man » 18 Oct 2021, 1:21 pm

Joeseb87 wrote:I have been waiting 16 days for a pta and nothing,

I've been waiting 49 days for an A/B PTA and 25 weeks for an H licence.
the_sovereign_man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Chinballs » 18 Oct 2021, 1:54 pm

Edit: Wrong thread
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by perentie » 19 Oct 2021, 7:58 am

My Cat H Licence expires today. I paid for its renewal back in August when notified. Went in last week to see what is going on. Told that they only renew when its actually expired but dont worry as you have 30 days or something leeway.
No good to me if I want to buy ammo and the dealer says no, your Licence is expired. Why cant they renew earlier when they get the money.?
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Phil Lawlor » 19 Oct 2021, 6:12 pm

In accordance with Queensland Weapons licensing. If you have submitted your renewal application prior to the expiry date and you do not receive your new license card by the time your license expires, your current license will continue in force for a period of 42 days until such time as an authorised officer makes a determination on your application. I renewed my license for another 5yrs 3 weeks prior to expiry and now sitting at nearly 3 weeks after expiry, no email from weapons licensing saying it has been actioned. I will sit tight and wait for another couple of weeks and see what happen. Have a great day.
Phil Lawlor
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by danp3d » 21 Oct 2021, 4:57 pm

I’ve been following this for months now while waiting for my application to be processed. I just got my approval email a few minutes ago - updating it here as I have a feeling there’s a few more people on the same boat.

05/06/21 - applied online (A&B license & PTA)
07/06/21 - identity verification (Australia Post)
13/10/21 - got a call from weapons licensing just confirming my address. Was told everything looked good and I should expect the email in the next couple of weeks.
21/10/21 - approval email for license (no PTA mention)

Total time ———
Application to approval email: 19 weeks and 5 days.
Approval email to physical card: pending
PTA: pending

I’ll update this once I get the PTA and physical card
danp3d
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by danp3d » 15 Nov 2021, 11:46 am

Alrighty, I just realised I can't edit the existing post. Here's my current update:

01/11/21 - Received physical license
15/11/21 - Called Weapons Licensing to check if there was anything wrong with my PTA application and was told that there are 2 separate departments: licensing and weapons. The licensing department is supposed to notify Weapons that a license has been approved so they can process any PTAs, but the person who processed my license forgot to do this. I was told to expect the PTA approval email in the next couple of days.
Sidenote: when I called I was placed through to licensing first, and then transferred to Weapons. The guy from Weapons was super polite and overall a breeze to talk to, explained everything and sounded genuinely interested in helping. The person from licensing was... hm... let's just say she didn't seem like she wanted to be talking to me.
15/11/21 - Got the PTA approval email just a few minutes after that call :)

End of saga!

Total time ———
Application to approval email: 19 weeks and 5 days.
Approval email to physical card: 11 days
PTA, application to approval: 23 weeks and 2 days.
PTA approval from license approval: 3 weeks and 4 days
danp3d
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws