Qld PTA - private purchase

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Qld PTA - private purchase

Post by GQshayne » 03 Jun 2019, 7:56 pm

I completed a PTA this arvo. It is a private purchase from a NSW resident. I called my gun shop to advise them I would nominate them as the transferring dealer. They told me there are no dealer faxes anymore, but when completing dealer details I can put in an email address. And never put in the serial number they said. I knew this already.

So I did the on-line PTA, and no-where was there provision for any dealer info. And the serial number is now mandatory, I could not leave it blank.

Anyone else found the same??? Has me concerned it will cause problems.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Qld PTA - private purchase

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jun 2019, 8:38 pm

GQshayne wrote:I completed a PTA this arvo. It is a private purchase from a NSW resident. I called my gun shop to advise them I would nominate them as the transferring dealer. They told me there are no dealer faxes anymore, but when completing dealer details I can put in an email address. And never put in the serial number they said. I knew this already.

So I did the on-line PTA, and no-where was there provision for any dealer info. And the serial number is now mandatory, I could not leave it blank.

Anyone else found the same??? Has me concerned it will cause problems.

In Qld is there any requirement to lodge a PtA before your dealer has the firearm?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 03 Jun 2019, 8:40 pm

Hmmm...…… you mean buy it and get it sent before the permit. I dunno. Would a transferring dealer send it off without one???? I am not sure about this.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jun 2019, 9:42 pm

GQshayne wrote:Hmmm...…… you mean buy it and get it sent before the permit. I dunno. Would a transferring dealer send it off without one???? I am not sure about this.

If it's paid for I can't see any reason the dealer wouldn't send it your dealer. The PtA is only required for it to go into your possession.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 04 Jun 2019, 6:21 am

I did 2 cat B ptas last month and nothing had changed, thats going to make life hard if you can't do a pta without putting in the serial number now.

Yes the dealer from the other state will send it as soon as you pay them, they have nothing to do with the pta.

My dealer told me the reason you should never put the serial number on the pta when buying from another state is because the gun isn't registered in qld until weapons licencing puts his paperwork into the system, which sometimes takes months. So if you put the serial number on your pta weapons licensing won't process it because they can't find the gun.

last year i bought a cat C from south Australia (cat c you have to put the serial number on the pta) so I rang weapons licencing and they told me to get the reference number from my dealers import form, and the case reference number of my pta and email them explaining that both sets of paperwork are for the same shotgun to make processing quicker. It was a bit of a muck around and still took them about a month to approve my pta.
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by perentie » 04 Jun 2019, 8:08 am

I did two Cat B last week. No serial number required as there was no red star alongside.
Just had a look for Cat H and serial number is required as it has the red star alongside it.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 04 Jun 2019, 3:44 pm

When you do an interstate pta you are essentially buying it from the dealer who receives it in qld. That is who you put down as the seller. As soon as you nominate a private sale the information required changes and becomes more specific and removes the ability to fax. You have to have enter model, calibre and serial number for a specific gun from a private seller. An interstate transfer negates any private information from the seller. He gives his info to his dealer who takes possession of his gun. Your dealer then takes possession of it and waits for you to give him the pta to release it from his custody. It is his gun until you give him a pta.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 04 Jun 2019, 6:02 pm

Looks like the key to it is that I nominated a private seller - no dealer info and mandatory serial number. I had a quick google while doing it and found some very recent info on upgrades to the system, so I figured that finally they had caught up to what we were doing and had made changes to prevent it.

Ok, so looks like I may have stuffed up. I will contact my dealer tomorrow to ask them if it will be a drama or not. I may have the option of amending my PTA or cancelling it. Thanks for the info fellas.

I hate it when I stuff up...….. :roll:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 04 Jun 2019, 6:22 pm

GQshayne wrote:Looks like the key to it is that I nominated a private seller - no dealer info and mandatory serial number. I had a quick google while doing it and found some very recent info on upgrades to the system, so I figured that finally they had caught up to what we were doing and had made changes to prevent it.

Ok, so looks like I may have stuffed up. I will contact my dealer tomorrow to ask them if it will be a drama or not. I may have the option of amending my PTA or cancelling it. Thanks for the info fellas.

I hate it when I stuff up...….. :roll:

I did the opposite once. Put down the dealer doing the transfer as the owner of the rifle. Turned up with the gun, the seller and a pta . Dealer had to write the gun into their books and then out again, saying they had purchased it from the seller and then selling it to me. It cost me some extra paperwork money. WLB probably should not have issued a pta for someone who doesn’t live in the state or have a qld license to take the gun off. I would ring them and explain the mistake and see if they can adjust it . I have had good cooperation from them recently. The other alternative it to reapply for one from the dealer, they can fax it and it will probably be done by the end of the week, for $38 more. Ring wlb first.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 04 Jun 2019, 8:16 pm

Yeah, reckon so. If it is going to be a problem I will simply do whatever needs to be done to fix it. Worse case scenario is cancel it and do another one. Can't be that hard.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 05 Jun 2019, 7:30 pm

Well, Dean has it right. Gun shop advised me that I should have nominated them as the seller. Seems ridiculous, but you gotta do what keeps things simple. So I will need to amend my PTA.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sus_scrofa » 06 Jun 2019, 6:27 pm

To clear things up when buying interstate from QLD you (to my knowledge & experience) have to get the seller from the other state to take the firearm to their local dealer and get that dealer to send it to your local dealer. You then have to do the PTA as you will be acquiring the firearm off your local dealer. This process is done to write the firearm out of the disposing state and into the QLD register and then onto your licence via a PTA. My local dealer asks to get the PTA before they ship the gun to them which is understandable as they are providing a brokerage service not a storage service. Hope this clears thing up.
Sus_scrofa
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jun 2019, 8:17 pm

Sus_scrofa wrote:To clear things up when buying interstate from QLD you (to my knowledge & experience) have to get the seller from the other state to take the firearm to their local dealer and get that dealer to send it to your local dealer. You then have to do the PTA as you will be acquiring the firearm off your local dealer. This process is done to write the firearm out of the disposing state and into the QLD register and then onto your licence via a PTA. My local dealer asks to get the PTA before they ship the gun to them which is understandable as they are providing a brokerage service not a storage service. Hope this clears thing up.

I've bought firearms from Qld, NSW, SA, and possibly other states. All I've done is pay for it, the seller takes it to his dealer who puts it on his dealer register and takes it off the owner's licence, then sends it to my dealer. When it arrives, he runs a permit for me and calls to tell me it's there, I go into town, sign his register transferring it to my licence, and bring it home.

One I bought from Qld the owner is overseas so his dad took the rifle to the dealer with the owner's licence details and that was all they required.

Buying from overseas is essentially the same, pay for it, apply for a B709 and PtA(s), send B709 to seller, they get the export permit and ship it to my dealer. He goes to Border Force with the original B709 to collect them onto his dealer register, then transfers them to my licence.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws