Appearance laws

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Appearance laws

Post by Terryrnz » 14 Jun 2019, 11:19 pm

I’m wondering about appearance laws as I have moved here from overseas and am fairly new to Australia laws etc. I know nsw w.a are bad but are these laws enforced in Queensland? I live in Queensland and a few of rifles I’m little worried about now, one being a straight pull AR-15 that was made off a wfa1 action. Doesn’t resemble original gun in the slightest. Others similar, it was pointed out to me on another form now I’m a bit paranoid about it all,
Terryrnz
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Appearance laws

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 15 Jun 2019, 1:06 pm

Ar15.... only available on Cat D license... very hard to get. I don't think QLD has appearance laws.

Basically every state had their own interpretation regarding firearm laws
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 15 Jun 2019, 3:43 pm

One of our craziest laws ever conceived.
Restricting something based only on its appearance :roll: talk about going full retard :lol:

Straight pull should be fine.

Simply submit a PTA and if it comes back with the stamp of approval then it's yours.

Your local gun store should have a good idea of what's not too scary looking to own.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 15 Jun 2019, 6:15 pm

As far as appearance laws go i'd like to know where Elbo and labour stand on gun laws and tightening them Scomo doesn't really seem too worried at present
Member-Deleted

Post by trekin » 16 Jun 2019, 4:47 am

As far as appearance laws go i'd like to know where Elbo and labour stand on gun laws and tightening them Scomo doesn't really seem too worried at present

The PM, Scot Morrison, shortened his name to Scomo and everyone instantly recognises who he is. So when is the Leader of the Oppersition, Anthony Albanese going to do the same?
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jun 2019, 7:55 am

Doesn't leave much for the imagination does it Trekin putting it like that I wonder if he ever will :thumbsup: :D :D
Member-Deleted

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 16 Jun 2019, 2:59 pm

Rotfl... good one there mate
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 17 Jun 2019, 6:02 am

Terryrnz wrote:I’m wondering about appearance laws as I have moved here from overseas and am fairly new to Australia laws etc. I know nsw w.a are bad but are these laws enforced in Queensland? I live in Queensland and a few of rifles I’m little worried about now, one being a straight pull AR-15 that was made off a wfa1 action. Doesn’t resemble original gun in the slightest. Others similar, it was pointed out to me on another form now I’m a bit paranoid about it all,

Welcome to QLD.
Based on your description, not quite sure why someone would jump in and say that AR15 are Cat D only, which they are.
But, being based on WFA1 action, having a straight pull action, and not resembling the original firearm in any way, I would think that you will be OK.
There are an untold number of Schmidt Rubin, Ross, Heym, Mannlicher, Merkel, Blaser, and others that are all straight-pull, some of which are military but have no attributes that cause their appearance to be "one of those horrible black guns!"

Yes, Qld. does have appearance covered, but the Regulation would appear (sorry about the pun) to leave you in the clear.

Weapons Categories Regulation 1997
5 Category D weapons
(1) Each of the following is a category D weapon—
(a) a self-loading centre-fire rifle designed or adapted for military purposes or a firearm that substantially duplicates a rifle of that type in design, function or appearance;

QPOL Weapons Licencing Branch should be able to answer any query, but don't try phoning them on a Wednesday.

Good luck.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws