Minors Licence and PTA?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Minors Licence and PTA?

Post by altidias » 06 Sep 2019, 3:52 pm

So i'm a bit confused about the laws surrounding the minors licence in QLD, is a minor legally allowed get a PTA?
altidias
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Minors Licence and PTA?

Post by rc42 » 21 Feb 2020, 1:39 pm

This went unanswered for a while, I can part answer it as I've been researching it recently.

A licensed minor can travel with a firearm to/from a range without the need for a licensed adult to accompany them.
However, a minor can't own a firearm so can't submit a PTA but they can borrow one which they can then only use under the supervision of a licensed adult.

At a range minors can shoot under the direct supervision a licensed adult or a small group can shoot under the supervision of a Range Officer, this is the same whether a minor is licensed or not.

On private property a minor with a license can handle and shoot a firearm under the direct supervision of a licensed adult, an unlicensed person, minor or adult, cannot possess or use a firearm even under supervision.
The legislation mentions 'sometimes allowed' for a minor to possess a firearm under supervision on private property.
As far as I can determine, that 'sometimes' refers to them having a minor's license but that bit of information is very hard to track down. It's not written clearly in the legislation so may not be enforceable but if you teach your children to shoot on your rural property you are taking a risk.

Overall, a minor's license doesn't give very much but the pride in having one is probably worth it and it will transition easily to a full license when they reach 18.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws