Mail Order Gun

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Mail Order Gun

Post by FNQ » 07 Nov 2019, 4:08 pm

Can we mail order a firearm?

For example I live in FNQ and I wanna buy a rifle from a store in Brisbane. Am I able do it all via internet, phone & email?

If so who sights my license & does the courier drop it at my farm gate?
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Mail Order Gun

Post by JimTom » 07 Nov 2019, 4:51 pm

Mate the gun shop needs a copy of your license and the PTA. The rifle is then shipped and signed for when delivered by courier. I live in NQ and have purchased in Brissy. Just give them a ring if you need to.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 07 Nov 2019, 5:53 pm

FNQ wrote:Can we mail order a firearm?

For example I live in FNQ and I wanna buy a rifle from a store in Brisbane. Am I able do it all via internet, phone & email?

If so who sights my license & does the courier drop it at my farm gate?

Yep, except that it can only be shipped to your local dealer, who will charge you for the PtA and transfer to your licence. You don't need a PtA until you collect the firearm from your dealer, the seller doesn't care if you have a PtA.
The seller will want you to email a scan or photo of your licence.

I am awaiting a rifle from FNQ myself as it happens.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 07 Nov 2019, 6:51 pm

If there is no local dealer you can have it shipped to the local cop shop instead.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 07 Nov 2019, 7:47 pm

Pretty sure in Qld you can have it sent to you directly by Aust Post. I have done this twice, so unless there are some exceptions it should be doable.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 07 Nov 2019, 7:50 pm

MontyShooter wrote:If there is no local dealer you can have it shipped to the local cop shop instead.

Quite correct. Providing that the nearest dealer is more than 100km from you, you can have it sent to the local police (hopefully less than 100km) and they will do the "brokering". It's a good idea to let them know what is happening, before some unknown firearm turns up at the station.
I did that, many times, until a dealer set up about 30km away. Best part though was that the "brokerage fee" was zip / nil / nada. Otherwise, it will have to be sent to, and brokered, through your local dealer.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 07 Nov 2019, 9:14 pm

In queensland, a qld dealer can send it direct to you through Australia post. Its seriously easy done. Just ring the dealer you plan to buy from, and they will tell you what info they need and what info you need from them. Just make sure you tick the 'email pta to dealer' box on your pta.

I'm in north qld and have done it so many times.
Bought a hammer coach gun from Rebel gun works in Brissy just last month actually.

Only dealers from other states have to send it to your local dealer, I've done this a good few times too.

I've also bought a rifle from just ordering from a webpage but that feels pretty weird, I'd rather talk to someone.

But seriously ring the dealer you want to buy from, any of those shops in brissy are so easy to do business with over the phone.
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 07 Nov 2019, 9:26 pm

When they send it in the mail it will be in unmarked black wrap or what ever so noone will know what it is and it'll be a parcel you need to sign for.
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 07 Nov 2019, 9:54 pm

GQshayne wrote:Pretty sure in Qld you can have it sent to you directly by Aust Post. I have done this twice, so unless there are some exceptions it should be doable.

He speaks the truth. Doesn’t need to be sent to a dealer. Delivered straight to your door.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 08 Nov 2019, 5:45 am

In other states its different, blade and no1 are both in vic, we don't have the post from dealer to our farm facility in Victoria (or any other state except QLD, i think)
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by 8x57 » 08 Nov 2019, 2:53 pm

You can definitely do it in Qld.
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 09 Nov 2019, 6:27 am

]He speaks the truth. Doesn’t need to be sent to a dealer. Delivered straight to your door.[/quote]

That’s amazing...the amount of times I sign for stuff, get it home and find its for someone else...I’d be flabbergasted if I unwrapped a new bang stick lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by GQshayne » 09 Nov 2019, 7:17 pm

The last time I arranged this was for a grazier friend. You know the deal, very busy, wife handles all this stuff. Parcel turned up and was handed to the wife, who does not have a licence. In my case, parcel turned up and was handed to my mother, who does not have a licence. A big loophole in the process.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 10 Nov 2019, 7:17 am

You guys may have just shot yourself in the foot. there are FAR people reading this site.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 10 Nov 2019, 7:34 am

sungazer wrote:You guys may have just shot yourself in the foot. there are FAR people reading this site.

I didn't see anything illegal, why would FAR be interested?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 10 Nov 2019, 8:32 am

The mail service handing guns to people that are not licensed. Sounds like something they would want to put a quick stop to. There is a whole lot of bad that could occur with this practice. What about identity theft and then having the gun mailed to mr crook.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Nov 2019, 9:03 am

As there would be only a small amount doing this still silence on the matter would be golden I buy my rifles from 500klm away and all are sent by registered mail meaning only the name on the parcel can sign for it and that being the person with the pta and i'm in Nth Qld
Member-Deleted

Post by GQshayne » 10 Nov 2019, 5:52 pm

sungazer wrote:The mail service handing guns to people that are not licensed. Sounds like something they would want to put a quick stop to. There is a whole lot of bad that could occur with this practice. What about identity theft and then having the gun mailed to mr crook.

I agree, so if the loophole is closed it can only be a good thing. We do not need any more problems.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Nov 2019, 6:00 pm

sungazer wrote:The mail service handing guns to people that are not licensed. Sounds like something they would want to put a quick stop to. There is a whole lot of bad that could occur with this practice. What about identity theft and then having the gun mailed to mr crook.

Do ya reckon the person delivering it by post has a license to handle it either? :D Anyway they aren't really handling the firearm as such, it's wrapped up in a box so who knows what it is they are taking delivery of until it's opened. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 10 Nov 2019, 6:27 pm

I'm quite sure that firearms are in the hands of unlicensed people regularly when they are being shipped. Does everybody that has access to the shipping containers have to have a firearm licence, baggage handlers at airports?

I flew from Perth to Derby once with just hand luggage, including a 9mm pistol and several hundred rounds of ammo. I had no checked luggage to put it in the hold with, but neither myself or the airline wanted a handgun floating around as cargo. So I put the gun and the ammo into a big yellow plastic bag that they sealed in front of me, and it was handed to the pilot and carried in the cockpit.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 10 Nov 2019, 6:53 pm

Do ya reckon the person delivering it by post has a license to handle it either? :D Anyway they aren't really handling the firearm as such, it's wrapped up in a box so who knows what it is they are taking delivery of until it's opened. :unknown:[/quote]

True, But Mr Postie is supposed to be a good bloke. :) I am pretty certain they are all police checked. A postmaster has a fair bit of responsibility when it comes to things like Passports and licenses ect.

I know most of the guns are always wrapped in brown paper ect but I bet they have a pretty good idea. I know my Postmaster has a guess at most peoples parcels as a bit of fun. it might be a bit confronting for some of the customers who knows what personal items they may be receiving these days :lol:
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 13 Nov 2019, 6:06 am

Not guns.. but i too regularly receive boxes. The look is priceless though when they try to pickup a small parcel thinking it is light only to realise it's like 10kg.

Hahaha
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws