Australian Gun Laws

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Australian Gun Laws

Post by No1_49er » 08 Jan 2020, 9:45 am

Can any one of you good folk supply a State specific answer? Any State.
A discussion topic which I am not certain of the answers to is: What are the specifics, in any State/Territory, of the respective Acts/Regulations pertaining to the use of spent cartridge case catchers i.e. those devices that collect the spent brass as it is ejected from the action of either a pistol or rifle?
I have heard it said, often, that their use is unlawful, although I can't imagine why.
I can find nothing in my Queensland Act or Regulations to that effect. Perhaps it is true of some other States/Territories?
If it is true, can you provide a URL/link to the specific Act/Regulation? I don't intend on engaging in a discussion of the whys or wherefores; just need the specifics.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Australian Gun Laws

Post by No1Mk3 » 08 Jan 2020, 10:28 am

G'day No1_49er,
There is no such restriction under Victorian Law. I have also heard this said and nobody saying it has been able to quote Chapter & Verse. I have read both Act & Regulations several times and have never seen such a prohibition. I have also used an original Swedish Mauser case collector at the range without issue. Interested to see if any other Jurisdictions do have such a thing, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Archie » 08 Jan 2020, 3:48 pm

So this one is strange. I will confess I don't fully understand it. And with the huge clarification that I am not a lawyer and therfore this is not advice and of no value:

In NSW, brass catchers are a prohibited weapon. In the below link, in Schedule 1, it's the 5th entry under clause 4 (Miscellaneous Articles). Note that this is in the Weapons Prohibition Act 1998 - not the Firearms Act.

https://legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/view/act/1998/127/sch1

However... in the Weapons Prohibition Regulation of 2017 it says the following:

5 Possession and use of brass catchers by persons holding firearms licence
The holder of a licence or permit under the Firearms Act 1996 is exempt from the requirement under the Act for a permit to possess or use a prohibited weapon referred to in clause 4 (5) of Schedule 1 to the Act, but only in relation to its use in connection with a firearm to which the licence or permit under the Firearms Act 1996 applies.

So... it looks to me like, brass catchers are a prohibited weapon, but, if you are using one on a firearm which you are licenced for, you don't need a permit for one.

Which does seem a bit odd. Odd to the point where I wonder if I have misinterpreted it completely.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 08 Jan 2020, 5:56 pm

Thanks No1Mk3, and Archie.

Looks like Qld and Vic don't have any prohibitions, and the NSW legislation appears to offer a "let out" for anybody who is in lawful possession of the particular firearm for which the brass-catcher is applied, as in the example No1Mk3 noted for the Swedish Mauser.
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 10 Jan 2020, 9:10 am

Nudge, nudge.

Surely this can't be true.
I have established, from the legislation that I am aware of, that Qld doesn't have a prohibition on "brass catchers".

No1Mk3 reports similarly for Vic.

And, Archie has found that NSW does have convoluted legislation that has a prohibition in some circumstances.
In this case it is necessary to know that there is more than simply the Act and Regulations.

Isn't there anybody in SA, Tas, WA, NT, or ACT who knows their own State/Territory Acts, Regulations or other subordinate legislation who would like to answer?
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 10 Jan 2020, 10:31 am

Seems like a completely ridiculous rule, regulation or law. I only use one occasionally on the A22 as it will send brass flying up to 3m or more. All I used was some sticky tape and a Glad self seal bag as they come in about the right size and quality of plastic. Perhaps one day I might make a purpose built bag. Helps keep the environment clean / my backyard. Could prevent a bush fire, as cases ejected quickly can be damn hot.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Queensland gun laws