Cat H applications for existing Cat A/B licensees

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Cat H applications for existing Cat A/B licensees

Post by rc42 » 17 Feb 2020, 1:15 pm

Has anyone else gone through the Cat H application process recently whilst already having a Cat A/B license?

I sent off my application about 5 weeks ago (I know, it's still early days) but I was wondering about the WLB response.

Do they ask for another ID check at a police station? They should already have everything from the A/B process and surely if the name, address and picture are exactly the same then it's still me.

I'm hoping that the next communication will be my email approval from WLB but can anyone confirm what happened to them?

Thanks
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Cat H applications for existing Cat A/B licensees

Post by Macross » 18 Feb 2020, 8:44 am

I think its the same regardless of whether you have an A/B or not.

The next stage in the saga will be an email telling you to take some ID to the local cop shop... one of which can be your existing weapons license. Once that is done, it can take a while for the next email to come through which is your license approval email. Its then a few more weeks for the plastic to come in the mail... so long as it doesn't get lost on the way.

They really are stretching it out as much as they can lately. As mentioned in other thread, we went the full 12 weeks before calling and then getting the ball rolling again.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 18 Feb 2020, 9:51 am

Its a different licence, process is the same whether you have a AB or not.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by rc42 » 18 Feb 2020, 10:31 am

Thanks guys, you have confirmed my worst fears :(

Ah well, only another 7 weeks before I can officially call them.
I will probably call them around the 10 week mark, maybe sooner if the ID check hasn't come through, just to make sure that I'm actually on the system and in the queue.

When I was getting the club support form the club admin person said that the 28 day wait was waived for existing A/B holders so it should only take a couple of weeks to come through, I don't think she understood my confused look.

I've submitted my first PTA too and put a deposit on a pistol at the local gun store, it's going to be a long an painful wait, I'd mentally blocked what it was like last time but it's all coming back to me now. At least I can go shoot rifles and borrow club pistols whilst I wait so that's better than last time.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 18 Feb 2020, 4:04 pm

I feel you mate. I submitted my A/B 15 days ago so I still got ages to go. God I wish we had the same laws as Texas with minimal government intervention.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oz95 » 18 Feb 2020, 9:48 pm

Hi all, 22 of Feb will be the 7 month mark for me since doing my online application. Last I heard was my application had been referred to a different section on WLB due to online application issues. That was about 3 weeks ago. I emailed again last Thursday requesting an updated but my email was yet again left unanswered. I will be making another phone call in the near future trying to get answers. The whole process has been a real kick in the teeth. 2nd year of club membership has already been paid and still no gear to show for it. Gotta love Qld!
Oz95
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oz95 » 18 Feb 2020, 9:53 pm

I should add that I have been an A/B license holder since 2011. No domestic history and last traffic offence was in 2016 for a minor speeding offence. Real criminal here fellas.
Oz95
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 19 Feb 2020, 12:03 am

Oz95 wrote:I should add that I have been an A/B license holder since 2011. No domestic history and last traffic offence was in 2016 for a minor speeding offence. Real criminal here fellas.

Mate that is just insane. 7 months is crazy.
I have had a few speeding fines and am currently on the whole one point for one year good behaviour. The application mentioned to only tick yes for traffic if you have only had to go to court for it.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Zerk » 19 Feb 2020, 9:11 am

I just got the email approval for my Cat H licence.
12 weeks and 3 days it took. No ID check for me.
I got my AB about 10 years ago.
Zerk
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by FabianAU » 19 Feb 2020, 11:39 am

Zerk wrote:I just got the email approval for my Cat H licence.
12 weeks and 3 days it took. No ID check for me.
I got my AB about 10 years ago.

Congrats, get a nice little beaut eventually :drinks:
Put my Cat H(PPL) app in 12 weeks 2 days ago still waiting, in NSW. :unknown:
FabianAU
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Tmb99 » 19 Feb 2020, 9:11 pm

No ID check is required as one of the questions is if you have an existing weapons licence.

Ive found if you call to 'check if everything is ok' with the application, while on the phone they check stuff and process it then and there. Be nice and just enquire, works for me. Done it with multiple licenses and when I want a PTA back quickly.

For reference my Cat H licence and PTA have just been processed in about 5 weeks. I called right on 28 days as I thought it was mandatory wait period. While on the phone the guy said no 28 day wait as I had my A/B already.
Tmb99
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 20 Feb 2020, 10:37 am

Thanks for the tip, I called WLB even though I'm only 6 weeks in, they were very friendly and helpful and checked that all documents were correctly associated with the application and it was all good to go.
They advised that applications are currently taking 12-13 weeks to process.

I don't know if it will speed things up but it's good to know that everything is in order and just awaiting processing. I guess the next contact should be an approval email.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oz95 » 20 Feb 2020, 5:16 pm

I wish being polite actually got me somewhere. No matter how polite or patient I am, nothing seems to work. 7 months this Saturday and I still haven't been told anything useful since applying. There's good people in the firearms community but how much bending over to we need to do? I give up on checking my emails. I'm sick of the disappointment.
Oz95
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 20 Feb 2020, 9:28 pm

Oz95 wrote:I wish being polite actually got me somewhere. No matter how polite or patient I am, nothing seems to work. 7 months this Saturday and I still haven't been told anything useful since applying. There's good people in the firearms community but how much bending over to we need to do? I give up on checking my emails. I'm sick of the disappointment.

Mate is it possible you can go seek some legal advice? Maybe they can get the ball rolling somehow. 7 months is unspeakable. I'm 17 days in waiting for my A/B and if I have to wait 7 months I will be trying to sue whoever I can if I can.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 20 Feb 2020, 10:37 pm

Oz95 wrote:I wish being polite actually got me somewhere. No matter how polite or patient I am, nothing seems to work. 7 months this Saturday and I still haven't been told anything useful since applying. There's good people in the firearms community but how much bending over to we need to do? I give up on checking my emails. I'm sick of the disappointment.

You should write letters complaining about this government service to your local state member of parliament and to the commissioner of police. Just a short summary of the facts and the waiting time and keep it polite.

Type it, print it, sign it and post it, it will carry more weight than an email that likely won't even get read.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws