Queensland PTA questions

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Queensland PTA questions

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 19 Feb 2020, 3:51 pm

Hey lads.

I just have two questions relating to PTA.

Q1) 16 days ago I applied for my for my A/B licence. I have put in 3 PTAs already. One cat A bolt rifle, one cat A bolt shotgun and one cat B bolt rifle. Should I apply for some more PTA now or wait for my licence to come then apply? What would you guys do? I want one more cat A shotgun, one cat B shotgun and three cat B rifles. Theres nothing in the weapons act that mentions PTA limits. So if my reasons are genuine than I should have no problem right? What would you guys do? Apply now or wait?

Q2) I think I forgot to tick the “email to dealer” box on one of my submitted PTA. Should I wait for my licence to be approved then ring them to change the PTA or should I ring them now?

Thanks guys.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Queensland PTA questions

Post by Jt-2019 » 19 Feb 2020, 5:08 pm

StraightWhiteMale wrote:Hey lads.

I just have two questions relating to PTA.

Q1) 16 days ago I applied for my for my A/B licence. I have put in 3 PTAs already. One cat A bolt rifle, one cat A bolt shotgun and one cat B bolt rifle. Should I apply for some more PTA now or wait for my licence to come then apply? What would you guys do? I want one more cat A shotgun, one cat B shotgun and three cat B rifles. Theres nothing in the weapons act that mentions PTA limits. So if my reasons are genuine than I should have no problem right? What would you guys do? Apply now or wait?

Q2) I think I forgot to tick the “email to dealer” box on one of my submitted PTA. Should I wait for my licence to be approved then ring them to change the PTA or should I ring them now?

Thanks guys.

Just leave it mate emailed to you or the dealer no real difference ey I would hold off on the PTAs look at it this way and new gun licence 5-6 PTAs waiting... I'd wait if I were you.
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Post by rc42 » 19 Feb 2020, 7:03 pm

Q1 - It shouldn't matter how many you apply for as long as you have genuine reasons, there's a possibility that they will call to ask about them but most likely not. Since you're waiting on a license and will be for the next 3 months anyway this is the time to get them stacked up in the queue too. If there is an additional delay processing the PTAs you won't notice it. In about 8-10 weeks you should get email license approval and your PTAs will come through a day or so later, email to the dealer is always best as letters can go missing or take weeks to arrive. You can't collect the firearms from the dealer till you have your license card, that arrives a couple of weeks after the email approval.

Q2 - You can phone now or in a few weeks to get the PTA delivery method changed, while you're on the phone ask if they received your license application and does it look OK, at least you'll know it's in the queue.

It's going to be a long long wait....
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 20 Feb 2020, 9:25 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm just pacing around like a caged lion until I get my licence. I don't want to go to the range and use someone elses firearm I want to wait and use my own. You make a good point rc42. I will just submit a couple more and in a few months they will be ready. As a new licence holder I have zero firearms so 7 or so PTA straight away should not be an issue seeing as some people have dozerns of firearms if not more.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 21 Feb 2020, 9:19 am

Just looking at this from a budget perspective 7 ptas at 2grand give or take per gun makes me jealous you have that money to spend on shooting - if you can afford it go for it
Just remember they were only worth half when the wife asks what you spent
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 21 Feb 2020, 1:49 pm

Farmerpete wrote:Just looking at this from a budget perspective 7 ptas at 2grand give or take per gun makes me jealous you have that money to spend on shooting - if you can afford it go for it
Just remember they were only worth half when the wife asks what you spent

Haha well I am single with no kids and my only debt is a monthly phone bill so I guess I have a bit of spare coin to spend.
What pisses me off is the licence and PTA fee.
$461.15 for a 10 year licence!!! My 10 year passport in December was $298.

And $40.5 for one PTA? Why can't we submit multiple PTA? Nothing more infuriating than being bent over like we are.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 22 Feb 2020, 7:20 pm

The license fees in your case include the $107.15 application fee, so at $35.40/year for an A/B license, it isn't particularly that costly. A slight discount would be nice like QLD transport gives us with our Drivers License when purchasing for extended terms, but alas, can't win them all.

Given that WLB work on a pretty antiquated process, the same amount of paperwork/paper pushing needs to be done for each PTA, so out the window goes any chance of a multi PTA discount.

I'm interested to see if all of your PTA's are granted without fuss, it's a great idea getting them all smashed out early so they come flooding through the door when everything goes through, from memory they're only valid for 6 months from date of issue, so may be something to consider with having quite a few stacked up and waiting.

I've only just recently been granted my second PTA, ended up serving another 28 day wait period as my first weapon hadn't registered with WLB yet.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 23 Feb 2020, 3:42 pm

Oh so that $107.15 is just a once off fee okay cool. I already paid for the firearms of the original 3 PTAs I put in. The other PTAs I put in I might just wait till after I get my licence untill I buy the firearm. The dealer said he will charge me $11 per week per firearm for storage after 2 months. I put my licence in on Febuary 3 and bought the firearms on Febuary 4. So if I get 2 months free storage and a licence is about 3 months I might be up for 4-6 weeks of storage fees, which is fair If you ask me as he is running a business not a charity. I will however make him a proposition that if he wipes the roughly $150 storage fee I will buy a couple more firearms and ammo off of him on the spot. Surely he will say yes, if not business is business and nothing personal.

I will keep the thread updated mate.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 23 Feb 2020, 5:57 pm

Be good of gunshop to look after you with storage fees, you are putting a few dollars through him, but as you say, business is business.

I opted for a Layby option on my first couple rifles, which automatically granted me 8 weeks of no storage fees, but given that I was throwing a few hundred at them every week and buying other bits including ammo, I get the impression they weren't too concerned about storage fees for a rifle that is awaiting pick-up, rather than just using them as my long term gun safe.

My A/B took pretty close to the 12 weeks to come through from application, think it may have been a week/6 days under the 12 weeks when my license turned up in the post.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 24 Feb 2020, 5:51 pm

Rwd22 wrote:Be good of gunshop to look after you with storage fees, you are putting a few dollars through him, but as you say, business is business.

I opted for a Layby option on my first couple rifles, which automatically granted me 8 weeks of no storage fees, but given that I was throwing a few hundred at them every week and buying other bits including ammo, I get the impression they weren't too concerned about storage fees for a rifle that is awaiting pick-up, rather than just using them as my long term gun safe.

My A/B took pretty close to the 12 weeks to come through from application, think it may have been a week/6 days under the 12 weeks when my license turned up in the post.

I think you are right mate. They don't want people to just use them as a safe but if you are a good customer they should be accomodating. Lets see how we go. Storage is zero overhead to a shop so it is a easy fee to wipe for a good paying customer. I imagine they put them in place so people don't take advantage and just leave their guns their.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rudes. » 05 Apr 2020, 5:05 pm

Hi just a pta question your first pta is 28days is this the same for any further more pta you get or are they all 28 days?
Rudes.
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 05 Apr 2020, 9:27 pm

Hi Rudes,

The 28 day mandatory wait for PTAs is applied by WLB if there are no firearms under your license already so this always applies to your first PTA.
Importantly though, they only check their current computer records which could be 6 months or more out of date in recording any existing firearms that you have acquired so you might also get hit with a wait on subsequent PTAs.

At the moment it's all up in the air, WLB may not be processing any PTAs and even if they do the firearms dealers services are not available for most people, this could last for months or maybe even years so any PTA issued would expire before you got to use it.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws