Problem with my genuine reason

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Problem with my genuine reason

Post by Blr243 » 30 Apr 2020, 2:54 pm

After submitting my renewal I got a reply that my address of the property i shoot on was a nsw address ( this is true) it’s my fathers farm .. they told me I need a genuine reason to possess a licence in Qld. My belief is that I live in Qld and I store my safe in Qld so I need a Qld firearms licence and its up to me where I go hunting. But I did not have any trouble with my initial ferarms licence and my genuine reason for that was a letter allowing me to hunt on my fathers place in nsw. So up until now they have been fine with where my letter has come from but this is no longer the case I wanted to keep things simple so I changed my genuine reason to ssaa membership range shooting. So hopefully they just process it and leave me alone. Anyone heard of this before ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Problem with my genuine reason

Post by trekin » 30 Apr 2020, 3:01 pm

Until they reopen the QLD/NSW border, then I suspect they will say that pest control/shooting in NSW, or any other State is no longer a valid or genuine reason to mauntain your QLD licence.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 30 Apr 2020, 3:35 pm

Are you willing to pay and seek legal advise?
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Apr 2020, 3:41 pm

This is crap BLR and they now have at least a small window to potentially confiscate your firearms...being a member of SSAA is a genuine reason to target shoot...not too hunt. (at least that is how it works in Tas)
If you don't want to or cant afford legal advice - I'd gather as much evidence as possible and email the state ombudsmen, complaining about QLD firearms department and let them fight for you / clarify the situation. IF the police come knocking - you can show them your complaint number and advise that this is currently being investigated by the state and (politely) tell them to please remove themselves from your property.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 30 Apr 2020, 3:46 pm

Blr243 wrote:After submitting my renewal I got a reply that my address of the property i shoot on was a nsw address ( this is true) it’s my fathers farm .. they told me I need a genuine reason to possess a licence in Qld. My belief is that I live in Qld and I store my safe in Qld so I need a Qld firearms licence and its up to me where I go hunting. But I did not have any trouble with my initial ferarms licence and my genuine reason for that was a letter allowing me to hunt on my fathers place in nsw. So up until now they have been fine with where my letter has come from but this is no longer the case I wanted to keep things simple so I changed my genuine reason to ssaa membership range shooting. So hopefully they just process it and leave me alone. Anyone heard of this before ?

You don't know any property owners that can give you a letter, even if you never shoot there?
Have you asked your dealer?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jon79 » 30 Apr 2020, 4:11 pm

you can get permission to hunt letters from inland hunting (well you could last I looked) they might be able to get one from a Queensland property for you

in NSW hold an R-License is a valid reason for hunting, maybe you could by pass the land holder permission by just joining a hunting club?
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Apr 2020, 4:21 pm

TassieTiger wrote:This is crap BLR and they now have at least a small window to potentially confiscate your firearms...being a member of SSAA is a genuine reason to target shoot...not too hunt. (at least that is how it works in Tas).

nah BLR, you're sweet with the SSAA membership... up here in GodZone Tassie, if you become a Member of S.S.A.A. you can then list your genuine reason as Sports & Target Shooting and Recreation & Hunting, as SSAA are an approved body prescribed under Qld law :drinks:

https://ssaaqld.org.au/become-a-shooter ... -a-license
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Apr 2020, 4:23 pm

just make sure you list your genuine reason as both Sports & Target Shooting and Recreation & Hunting, and your licence will be endorsed for both
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 30 Apr 2020, 4:30 pm

I see that they are just being difficult & anti gun...
Id look into the regs there & if nothing has changed in the time lapsed between your last approval, challenge them--write to them & ask why they are restricting you beyond what the law allows, & has allowed in the past.

I know its a PITA to do, but its these little things that are not challenged, that give them precedence for future decisions & lets themget away with further oppressive decisions.

Keep in mind, they police the law, they dont make & pass law at their desk...!!

Id at least ask a firearms lawyer as well--theyll (good ones anyway) often give you free basic transparent advice & let you know where you stand, without railroading you into opening your wallet.

Also what about SSAA advice if you are a member...?...surely theyd give you some solid advice & backing...!!...wouldnt you SSAA...?!!??!!

You shouldnt be afraid ask them questions in regards to their decision--i feel by NOT asking or putting up a challenge, you are inadvertantly admitting you're not following the law & trying to sneak one past them, & i dont believe you're leaving yourself open to having your firearms taken from you...!!
Rather that is what they are trying to intimidate you (all gun owners) with...!! :thumbsup:

Put the onus back on them as to why you are currently allowed to, with their full acceptance & knowledge, safely own & use firearms in this way, yet you cant with another...??...they are putting you on the back foot, for their very own decision making, so, again--make them accountable for their laws & decisions--exposing them & making them accountable for persecution, hippocracy, along with inconsistant decisions that strip you of rights you all ready have, is what us gun owners need...

If i could back you up in any way BLR, & can & will... :thumbsup:

Go get em BLR... :clap:
Dont be bullied...
Last edited by Stix on 30 Apr 2020, 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Apr 2020, 4:30 pm

Since the border closure is temporary thats a bastard act. Yeh submit the complaint but join club too if necessary. (Field and game?) I gather time is short.

Did you ph them?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 30 Apr 2020, 4:50 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:just make sure you list your genuine reason as both Sports & Target Shooting and Recreation & Hunting, and your licence will be endorsed for both

I did mine in Feb and you can either pick one or the other NOT BOTH. But QLD gives you RE1 and SC1, SC2 if your reason is sports or recreation.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Apr 2020, 4:56 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Since the border closure is temporary thats a bastard act. Yeh submit the complaint but join club too if necessary. (Field and game?) I gather time is short.

Did you ph them?

+ 1

looks like you've just had it looked at by someone with a differing interpretation. They've approved it before, they probably should again.

Weapons Act 1990 (QLD)
section 11[b]
Genuine reasons for possession of a weapon

The following are reasons for possession of a weapon—
(a)sports or target shooting;
(b)recreational shooting;
etc etc

[b]Section 13(3)(a)

If the reason is recreational shooting, the applicant must produce—
(a)written permission from a landowner authorising the applicant to shoot on the landowner’s rural land;

From Schedule 2 Dictionary
rural land includes land other than land situated in any city or town or, in the case of a shire, in any township in the shire.

nowhere does it say that the rural land has to be in Qld.
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Apr 2020, 5:00 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:I did mine in Feb and you can either pick one or the other NOT BOTH. But QLD gives you RE1 and SC1, SC2 if your reason is sports or recreation.

That's really odd. WLQ states on their website "To be issued a Queensland Weapons Act licence, you are required to have a genuine reason for the licence. You may even have more than 1 genuine reason, which is ok. Provided you satisfy the requirements, we can endorse a licence for multiple genuine reasons. "
https://www.police.qld.gov.au/weapon-li ... ine-reason
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Apr 2020, 5:02 pm

so you pick one, but they endorse multiple. wow
Member-Deleted

Post by AussieCapitalist » 30 Apr 2020, 5:08 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:That's really odd. WLQ states on their website "To be issued a Queensland Weapons Act licence, you are required to have a genuine reason for the licence. You may even have more than 1 genuine reason, which is ok. Provided you satisfy the requirements, we can endorse a licence for multiple genuine reasons. "
https://www.police.qld.gov.au/weapon-li ... ine-reason

I think that means like sports, collectors and primary production etc. Because the originations are both sport and huntig they just give you both but you only have to prove genuine reason for one. So if you apply for sports you also get rec/hunting and if you apply for rec/hunting you also get sports. You don't need a licence to shoot at a range so either.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by northdude » 30 Apr 2020, 5:12 pm

holy s**t is this what we have to look forward to over here
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Apr 2020, 5:16 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:

I think that means like sports, collectors and primary production etc. Because the originations are both sport and huntig they just give you both but you only have to prove genuine reason for one. So if you apply for sports you also get rec/hunting and if you apply for rec/hunting you also get sports. You don't need a licence to shoot at a range so either.

Same in Victoria. Anything different would be stupid
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Apr 2020, 5:27 pm

You certainly don’t get sports and hunting in Tas - don’t ask how I found out...but it ended up with re doing a LOT of paperwork. You can nominate for both BUT then must prove both...club membership AND letter. SSAA is only sports down here...you can NOT hunt with SSAA only, even on private property...if your license does not say hunting...then no room to move.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 30 Apr 2020, 5:58 pm

Gees...

Hunting, target shooting & club use are all separate/individual endorsements on a firearms licence over here (SA)...

So if you just pick target shooting or hunting on application, you cant just join a club without paying money & filling in paperwork to get such an endorsement on your licence, over & above that required for the club.
And you cant, as i understand it (legally) go hunting without having both hunting endorsed licence, AND an hunting permit--& that is just for ferals & listed pest species.

You also need the extra appropriately endorsed licences AND seperate permits for the seasonal game such as quacks & kwayle, big furry hoppers, hairy nosed boulders, & those sh!t crazy long-necked beady eyed feathered speeders...the latter no doubt being the norm across this multicultural patch of dirt we inhabit.

So...join a few affiliations, a couple of clubs, & hunt everything here in SA as well as game species in Vic & NSW & us blokes wallets look like that of the shop-a-holic sheilas of yesteryear... :lol:

card-holder-wallet-women-large-capacity-passport-or-id-card-holder-purse-long-genuine-leather-men.jpg
card-holder-wallet-women-large-capacity-passport-or-id-card-holder-purse-long-genuine-leather-men.jpg (222.51 KiB) Viewed 6004 times
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 30 Apr 2020, 6:19 pm

Thanks for your concerns, advice and input but I’m thinking it’s goin to be ok ... in the letter I received from weapons licensing it told me I have two options. The first being get a letter from the bush authorising shooting on land with a Qld address ..... the second was provide proof of club membership , provide the name of the club and my membership number and the expiry date ...... a quick call to ssaa and within seconds I had an email from them with an attached document. So I have forwarded that to weapons licensing ..... it was just easier than fighting with a number cruncher from weapons licensing .......the less I have to do with that mob the better ......so to all the pigs and foxes and cats I shot in nsw last year sorry I might not have sposed to be running around in your paddocks
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 30 Apr 2020, 8:36 pm

Blr243 wrote:Thanks for your concerns, advice and input but I’m thinking it’s goin to be ok ... in the letter I received from weapons licensing it told me I have two options. The first being get a letter from the bush authorising shooting on land with a Qld address ..... the second was provide proof of club membership , provide the name of the club and my membership number and the expiry date ...... a quick call to ssaa and within seconds I had an email from them with an attached document. So I have forwarded that to weapons licensing ..... it was just easier than fighting with a number cruncher from weapons licensing .......the less I have to do with that mob the better ......so to all the pigs and foxes and cats I shot in nsw last year sorry I might not have sposed to be running around in your paddocks

I did the same thing a few years back. It is just the easy, no questions asked, way to provide proof. As an aside, I had a NSW property listed previously too with no issues.

Until it was sold. No more piggies for me. :cry:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 01 May 2020, 1:01 am

SSAA are a waste of everything required for it to exist.... But yeah id be looking for property to back your lic in Qld if it was me
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by rc42 » 01 May 2020, 1:16 am

Shooters Union would be a better choice if you don't want to use the SSAA ranges, same validity for a QLD genuine reason but much cheaper annual membership and liability insurance is included, actually, you should probably be a member even if you only do recreational shooting and hunting.

Also, SU are more interested in helping and supporting shooters, SSAA is just a money making business that generally sides with government against shooters.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 May 2020, 6:11 am

Thanks rc42. I will look into the shooters union
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 01 May 2020, 6:57 am

Blr243 wrote:Thanks rc42. I will look into the shooters union

Yep, better idea.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Patriot » 01 May 2020, 1:35 pm

WIth ranges closed,is sports and target shooting a genuine reason?
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 01 May 2020, 1:39 pm

Patriot wrote:WIth ranges closed,is sports and target shooting a genuine reason?

QLD law does not state ranges must be physically open for trading. A registered club is still a registered club when they shut down for public holidays and holidays etc so this is no different. So yes it is a genuine reason. I have had 4 PTAs approved whilst they have been closed. Physically obtaining your firearm is a different matter.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws