QLD_PTA-Exact wording of Owner permission letter?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

QLD_PTA-Exact wording of Owner permission letter?

Post by Dallaskj » 01 May 2020, 11:12 am

So my father owns a property, and I am acquiring a rifle for recreation shooting and feral animal control/hunting.
Aside from SSAA membership I wish to add hunting to the PTA and I think I need to give a specific landowner/property letter to go with the application.

I'm not even sure if the letter is necessary but let's assume that it is, and needs to be lodged with the PTA itself.

My dad is willing to give me a letter for this, but asked me 'what exactly do you want me to say?'

What is the exact, minimum wording that is recquired? I have looked for any kind of template on various sites and can't see any.

Would this work:
I (dad) give permission for (dude) to operate a firearm on my property at 1 smith st, countryside.

Is it necessary to add that it is for sport, hunting or whatever? Or any other details?

This might be a noob question but others may also be asking the same thing.
Dallaskj
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: QLD_PTA-Exact wording of Owner permission letter?

Post by Tilb004 » 01 May 2020, 8:47 pm

Hi Dallaskj

I would just get your dad to put that it is for pest control, foxes , rabbits etc .

Tilb
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by No1_49er » 01 May 2020, 8:59 pm

It would appear that this is to be your first application for a PTA?
I have applied for many PTA and probably more than 50% of them have been by using the on-line method. I do not recall ever seeing a field in the on-line form that requires you to submit/upload a document that gives you, specifically, land-owner permission to hunt. A drop-down selection gives you three options; Recreational Shooting on Rural Lands, Sports or Target Shooting, or, Other. I never ventured down the 'Other' rabbit hole.
Your SSAA Qld membership (card) should indicate that activities covered are T (target), H (hunt), and C (collect).
Complete the form, select your payment method, and join the wait queue. You will get a receipt email (almost instantaneously) and if there is any more information required, they will call you. And this being your first application (?) there will be the obligatory 28 day "cooling off" wait period.
Good luck.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 01 May 2020, 9:36 pm

Welcome Dallaskj

Do you already have a QLD firearms license?
If yes, check the conditions on it, if you have RE1 then you are licensed for recreational shooting in QLD and can then apply for a PTA for any Cat A or B firearm to meet your needs.

If you are at the license application stage, be prepared for a long wait and book a safety course, you'll need the certificte from that.

You need a primary 'genuine reason', if that reason is sports & target shooting you need membership of an approved club, SSAA (they have ranges) or Shooters Union (cheaper but no ranges) will be sufficient but you will need to stay a financial member for as long as you have a license, this route will give you SC1, SC2 and RE1 conditions.

If your primary 'genuine reason' is recreational shooting you will need a simple letter signed by the owner of a rural property (over 40 acres or its more difficult) saying that you have permission to shoot on that land and its best to include a copy of their rates notice. Don't try to add any details or pad it out, a couple of lines is enough but the application process should show you the information needed.
If you follow this route you don't have to stay a member of a shooting club (although I'd recommend SU for the included insurance and its only $35 per year), this will give you a license with SC1, RE1, RE2 conditions.

As both options give you RE1 then as above, you can submit a PTA for any Cat A or B firearm, no additional information or letters are needed for the PTA just the caliber and action of the firearm.
You can even apply for the PTA whilst your license application is in progress.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 02 May 2020, 3:47 pm

Yep, Welcome Dallaskj.
As rc42 rightly pointed out, the easiest course is to join a approved club - SSAA, Shooters Union, Deer Stalkers or whoever (listed in no particular order).
Should the property you have permission to shoot on is rezoned, sold etc you no longer have a reason for firearm ownership etc, etc.
So, join a approved club, saves a lot of hassles...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Peter988 » 02 May 2020, 6:31 pm

Been a number of years since I did it - but back then you also had to state the animals you were hunting to justify the caliber you were using. For example, don’t say you will be controlling rabbits and expect the ok to acquire a 243.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 02 May 2020, 6:49 pm

Peter988 wrote:Been a number of years since I did it - but back then you also had to state the animals you were hunting to justify the caliber you were using. For example, don’t say you will be controlling rabbits and expect the ok to acquire a 243.

That is unlawful mate. The weapons act mentions nothing about "stating animals to justify calibre". You just need to provide evidence of your reason. Which for a licence is done via a receipt of paid membership to a club or a property letter.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 02 May 2020, 8:07 pm

Hmmm, Peter988, Depends on the size of the rabbits, I suppose. Have you seen the size of those Tassie rabbits, nothing under .243 I reckon. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 02 May 2020, 10:39 pm

No predators mate - things In Tassie get really big when nothing chases or eats them...some big swinging women down here with 12 fingers as well.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by rc42 » 03 May 2020, 6:06 pm

Hopefully not the 'throw the car keys in a bowl' type of swinging... although it is Tassie.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Dallaskj » 06 May 2020, 6:57 pm

Hi and thanks to all for the replies. I'll just proceed with the online PTA as advised here.

My first rifle was purchased around 2010 in Vic so that process was further back than I can remember. I haven't been actively shooting for the last few years though, and the firearm licence lapsed.

I recently renewed my firearm licence in QLD and this will not, technically be my first gun.

As it happens, i'm purchasing a .243 Howa SS, thanks to everyone who replied.
Dallaskj
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 06 May 2020, 7:52 pm

Pagan gunshop from Townsville have a photo of what a letter can look like.

https://www.facebook.com/paganfirearms/
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws