The 30 day wait

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

The 30 day wait

Post by Blr243 » 16 Jun 2020, 4:12 pm

We often hear of pta s being approved real quick, coulplr of days or a week or whatever. So once I get that email can I just go collect my new rifle or is there still a mandatory 30 day wait even if u already own half doz firearms? I should already know this. Been many months since I boaght a rifle
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: The 30 day wait

Post by AussieCapitalist » 16 Jun 2020, 4:37 pm

The 28 day wait is only until you take possession of your first firearm. Sometimes weapons licensing have not updated their books and you can get stung with the 28 day wait on your second one as well.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 16 Jun 2020, 4:57 pm

Thanks AC. IM just gearing up my quad for the first night here. The sun is about to say goodbye for the day ....If this week goes well I’ll be back here in a month with my new rem
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 16 Jun 2020, 6:28 pm

You can take possession of a firearm when the dealer has the formal PTA approval document either as an email from WLB (fastest method) or in hard copy sent to you by post and you turn up with valid license card in hand.

Prior to that, you apply for the PTA and WLB process it, sometimes within a day, sometimes not for a month, if you have firearms attached to your license there's no extra waiting period, if not they won't look at your PTA for 28 days.
The approval email from WLB to you is just a notification that your PTA has been (or will be) approved, it's to stop you calling them and asking for updates.

Until the dealer gets the formal PTA document from WLB you can't possess the firearm.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws