Borrowing a firearm in QLD

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Borrowing a firearm in QLD

Post by scruffa » 17 Jun 2020, 6:37 pm

G'day all,
I'm waiting on my new centrefire to come through and want to head to the range but can't use a club gun due to COVID restrictions. I have a question in regards to borrowing another licensed person's firearm in Queensland. Is this allowed? as I can't find an answer anywhere. Are there any hoops that I would need to jump through? does anyone have a copy of where it says I can or can't? I know you can in NSW but don't know about here.

Cheers.
scruffa
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Borrowing a firearm in QLD

Post by Rwd22 » 17 Jun 2020, 7:42 pm

As long as you are licensed it isn't an issue, I've borrowed a few firearms from a mate and one of the blokes I get along well with at the LGS. I just make sure I have their details on hand, just incase I happened to get pulled over and the questions are raised.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 17 Jun 2020, 11:02 pm

Yes you can possess and use a firearm that's not on your license, for about 3 months I think, just as you can store your firearms in another licensed shooter's safe for the same period.

If you do borrow one, get a scanned or photo copy of the original PTA, the lender's license and a signed letter from them saying that it is on loan to you.
Imagine the police turn up to inspect your safe and you have a firearm that they didn't expect to see, the above should save you a lot of grief even though it's highly unlikely you'll actually need it.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by tomtom889 » 18 Jun 2020, 3:43 pm

I borrowed my brother's firearms once for a week, as long as you're licensed for the category of firearm and have safe storage you're allowed to borrow them for up to 3 months
tomtom889
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 18 Jun 2020, 5:06 pm

As mentioned above it is 3 months. You mention you cant find an answer anywhere, where did you look if I may ask? Because you sure did not look in the weapons act section 35 subsection 6(C).
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by scruffa » 23 Jun 2020, 3:27 pm

Thanks all for the response. Much appreciated.
scruffa
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by linkoln » 25 Jun 2020, 1:20 pm

scruffa wrote:G'day all,
I'm waiting on my new centrefire to come through and want to head to the range but can't use a club gun due to COVID restrictions.

What do they say about restrictions because I use club guns all the time and when you finish they just put them straight back in the bag for the next person.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Return to Queensland gun laws