Storing Ammo on stripper clips

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Storing Ammo on stripper clips

Post by CAVEMAN » 16 Jul 2020, 5:31 pm

Evening all

Recently had a crack at service rifle, and found it quite some fun. Now with service riffle the best way to carry and load ammo is obviously stripper clips.

Now the question i have for the brains trust is whats the legality of storing ammo or transporting them to the range pre packed. I understand QLD legislation fairly well, and understand ammo cannot be stored in mags for storage or transportation. But a stripper clip is not a magazine, and also it is technically a form of original packaging. Id imagine milsurp ammo was once available in bandoleers and such, pre packed on clips.

If anyone has any input would be much appreciated.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Storing Ammo on stripper clips

Post by Blr243 » 16 Jul 2020, 6:00 pm

Sorry to be negative but perhaps ammo in stripper clips could also be called collated ammo ....I think stripper clips is outside the general description of original packaging or plastic boxes specifically manufactured for safe storage of ammo. ....I don’t think most cops would give you a hard time. I have done hundreds of hunting trips and not been searched once ....stripper clips on the way to the range is no where near as naughty as haveing loose rounds floating about in the foot well of the front of your Ute
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ricochet » 16 Jul 2020, 6:07 pm

I'm not sure if it's legal or not, but for extra piece of mind for yourself and the fuzz if you get searched you could remove the mag, bolt AND put a cable lock through the mag well.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chinballs » 16 Jul 2020, 6:47 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:But a stripper clip is not a magazine, and also it is technically a form of original packaging. Id imagine milsurp ammo was once available in bandoleers and such, pre packed on clips.

There is no mention of magazines specifically in the legislation.It just says original packaging or containers designed to prtoect the ammo individually.

86 - Requirements for storing small arms ammunition
(1) A person storing small arms ammunition—
(a) must store the small arms ammunition in its original packaging or in packaging
or containers designed to protect the small arms ammunition individually and—
(i) in a secure container; or
(ii) on a shelf that is inaccessible to a person who is not authorised to
possess the small arms ammunition; and
(b) must store the small arms ammunition in a secured area; and
(c) unless the person is authorised to do so under the Weapons Act 1990, must not
store the small arms ammunition in a secured area in which a firearm is stored; and
(d) if the person stores more than 10000 safety cartridges in a secured area—must
display, in the required places for the secured area, a classification sign for the
cartridges stored in the secured area.
(2) In this section—safety cartridge has the meaning given under AS 2187, part 0.

The fact that you imagine it was once available back in the day won't hold water if you are pulled over or have a safe storage inspection by someone looking to ping you. Unless you can prove your ammo is factory original and was sold pre loaded into stripper clips you are going to have a bad time.

At the end of the day you could wind up in court with, at best, a lot of hassle and a large bill or, at worst, no license and a conviction.

Why even bother running the risk?
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 16 Jul 2020, 6:58 pm

Chinballs wrote:
CAVEMAN wrote:But a stripper clip is not a magazine, and also it is technically a form of original packaging. Id imagine milsurp ammo was once available in bandoleers and such, pre packed on clips.

There is no mention of magazines specifically in the legislation.It just says original packaging or containers designed to prtoect the ammo individually.

86 - Requirements for storing small arms ammunition
(1) A person storing small arms ammunition—
(a) must store the small arms ammunition in its original packaging or in packaging
or containers designed to protect the small arms ammunition individually and—
(i) in a secure container; or
(ii) on a shelf that is inaccessible to a person who is not authorised to
possess the small arms ammunition; and
(b) must store the small arms ammunition in a secured area; and
(c) unless the person is authorised to do so under the Weapons Act 1990, must not
store the small arms ammunition in a secured area in which a firearm is stored; and
(d) if the person stores more than 10000 safety cartridges in a secured area—must
display, in the required places for the secured area, a classification sign for the
cartridges stored in the secured area.
(2) In this section—safety cartridge has the meaning given under AS 2187, part 0.

The fact that you imagine it was once available back in the day won't hold water if you are pulled over or have a safe storage inspection by someone looking to ping you. Unless you can prove your ammo is factory original and was sold pre loaded into stripper clips you are going to have a bad time.

At the end of the day you could wind up in court with, at best, a lot of hassle and a large bill or, at worst, no license and a conviction.

Why even bother running the risk?

Don't plan on it, more just engaging in thought. I always find it intriguing to engage minds outside my own.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 16 Jul 2020, 7:00 pm

Blr243 wrote:Sorry to be negative but perhaps ammo in stripper clips could also be called collated ammo ....I think stripper clips is outside the general description of original packaging or plastic boxes specifically manufactured for safe storage of ammo. ....I don’t think most cops would give you a hard time. I have done hundreds of hunting trips and not been searched once ....stripper clips on the way to the range is no where near as naughty as haveing loose rounds floating about in the foot well of the front of your Ute

Well that's my thought behind them they do keep things neat and tidy. And honestly i think most people wouldn't be overly aware of what they are anymore, but that can go two ways.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by boingk » 16 Jul 2020, 7:38 pm

If its inside a locked ammunition box then good luck to anyone who wants to search that locked container, unless there is some immediate and life threatening need to do so. And seeing as its locked, then you carry in there whatever the hell you want.

For the record, I've carried stripper clips to the range for all sorts of things. Lately its my 450 Bushmaster as by happy coincidence the 8mm Mauser rounds I have a lot of strips for also fit the 450, and carry a nice little allotment of 4 rounds. Go figure.

If anyone DID happen to even see them, I would explain them as a safety device. They stop loose rounds from rattling around in storage. That's it. By the way, that would fit under part a) of the act:

Some Act wrote:(a) must store the small arms ammunition in its original packaging or in packaging
or containers designed to protect the small arms ammunition individually

Cheers - boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by No1_49er » 16 Jul 2020, 7:58 pm

I've bought considerable quantities (sealed cases) of 223 ball ammo and it ALL comes in stripper clips which are held in bandoliers.
I can assure you that there is no way I will ever strip any of it until such time as I'm on the range and intend loading into my rifle.
That's the way I buy it, and that's the way I'll keep it.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws