Obtaining a firearms licence with a mental illness QLD

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Obtaining a firearms licence with a mental illness QLD

Post by JesseW97 » 18 Jul 2020, 9:53 pm

Hay there, I'm new to the forums and apologies if this is not the correct channel for this post. I'm new to the shooting world and I have recently joined SSAA Brisbane and completed my gun safety course (10618NAT Course) now I am waiting on my statement of attainment then I plan on applying straight away. However I suffer from anxiety and I am medicated for it which does its job, I am going to visit my doctor and get the appropriate documentation declaring this for when I submit my weapons licence application. I am asking if anyone else here suffers from mental illness (Anxiety disorders mainly) and did this affect you getting your firearms license? I feel the best approach is to be completely honest during my application and that's why I'm asking the community for there experiences.

Cheers, hope to hear back from yous soon.
Gamo Black Night - .177
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless - .22-250
Tikka T3x Roughtech Ember - .308
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Obtaining a firearms licence with a mental illness QLD

Post by targetshooter900 » 19 Jul 2020, 5:45 pm

This comes up on here every now and then and from what I've seen in those threads it's no big deal, just gotta get a letter from your doctor stating that you can use firearms and are of no danger. Should be information on the qldpol website to help you out too. You're definitely right in being fully honest.
targetshooter900
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jul 2020, 5:54 pm

Being completely honest is the only way to go. I bet my balls your application will be successful... anxiety is nothin.....it’s way down there .....if anxiety were a reason for not granting a licence, then everybody that smokes would not get a licence either ......at the other end of the scale is scizophrenia ( man I struggled to spell that) .....that’s much more serious
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 19 Jul 2020, 6:13 pm

Thanks for the reply guys this is what I was thinking referring to anxiety being low on the list and I dont suffer from depression or anything else just the anxiety so I guess I just get the forms and hope for the best. In the event your weapons licence is denied are you subject to a refund as I plan on paying for 10 years straight up and as you know thats rather pricy but I think its more convenient to just pay for the 10 years.
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jul 2020, 6:42 pm

I have heard that you get a refund but I’m not 100 per cent sure. I applied for a single year then when renewal came up I went straight for the ten year licence.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 19 Jul 2020, 6:45 pm

Alright, thank you for your responses. I appreciate it.
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 20 Jul 2020, 1:52 pm

Ok, so my statement of attainment arrived today I see my Dr tomorrow is there a specific form that the Dr will have to fill out or is it just a handwritten note giving me the all clear?
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by targetshooter900 » 20 Jul 2020, 3:56 pm

From a quick google search, it seems all the information you need can be found here
https://www.police.qld.gov.au/weapon-li ... cal-health
targetshooter900
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by linkoln » 21 Jul 2020, 2:30 pm

Let us know how it goes but from what I've heard unless you have a doctor you see all the time and knows well you will probably need to see a psychiatrist or psychologist to get an approval.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by JesseW97 » 21 Jul 2020, 4:37 pm

Hay guys everything has gone wonderful. I got my medical certificate from my regular GP didn't need to go see any Psychs (I will note my Dr has been treating me for 4+ years and knows the progress I've made). Weapons licence application is submitted and also submitted two PTAs so I can get a CAT A & B firearm with only having to wait 28 days instead of 56 days if I was to buy them at different times. I'm hoping for the best as I said in my original post I was completely honest in my medical certificate so I have high hopes. But after a nice chunk of my money was spent (I payed for 10 years on the licence plus the two PTAs) I've been to Auspost they confirmed my identity and all that, now its just waiting time on the response of my application, wish me luck!

I want to thank everybody who helped me out with this post on here and via PMs you guys are awesome and extremely helpful.
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Jul 2020, 8:16 am

Well done mate - congrats on getting it sorted!
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Macross » 23 Jul 2020, 8:06 am

Good on ya mate for being upfront and doing things the right way. Sounds like you will be a good addition to the shooting community. We can always do with new younger shooters in the ranks... especially ones with good character. Well done.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws