Police Inspection Questions. (QLD)

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Police Inspection Questions. (QLD)

Post by JesseW97 » 21 Jul 2020, 5:41 pm

Hay there, I recently submitted my firearms license and I know its a little pre mature but I've already bought a safe and it will be drilled/bolted into concrete in a permanent building. I want to know if the police come to do an inspection of your storage before your licence is approved or is it after you have been accepted? I selected No on all the options for alternative storage (I hope that was the right thing to do if storing where I live), but if they come to inspect before your application is accepted then I want to bolt it in ASAP. So please if someone can let me know if they inspect before you have your license and also is there an option to call my local police station and arrange an inspection and if so do I do that after I have my license or before?

I want to note I do not own any firearms so it wouldn't matter if the police came to inspect before I get my license I just want to be prepared so I can get a better understanding of the whole process.

Cheers, hope to hear back from you guys soon.
Gamo Black Night - .177
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless - .22-250
Tikka T3x Roughtech Ember - .308
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Police Inspection Questions. (QLD)

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jul 2020, 5:43 pm

JesseW97 wrote:Hay there, I recently submitted my firearms license and I know its a little pre mature but I've already bought a safe and it will be drilled/bolted into concrete in a permanent building. I want to know if the police come to do an inspection of your storage before your licence is approved or is it after you have been accepted? I selected No on all the options for alternative storage (I hope that was the right thing to do if storing where I live), but if they come to inspect before your application is accepted then I want to bolt it in ASAP. So please if someone can let me know if they inspect before you have your license and also is there an option to call my local police station and arrange an inspection and if so do I do that after I have my license or before?

I want to note I do not own any firearms so it wouldn't matter if the police came to inspect before I get my license I just want to be prepared so I can get a better understanding of the whole process.

I'd be surprised if they used resources inspecting safes for people that may never decide to own any firearms.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JesseW97 » 21 Jul 2020, 5:54 pm

bladeracer wrote:
JesseW97 wrote:Hay there, I recently submitted my firearms license and I know its a little pre mature but I've already bought a safe and it will be drilled/bolted into concrete in a permanent building. I want to know if the police come to do an inspection of your storage before your licence is approved or is it after you have been accepted? I selected No on all the options for alternative storage (I hope that was the right thing to do if storing where I live), but if they come to inspect before your application is accepted then I want to bolt it in ASAP. So please if someone can let me know if they inspect before you have your license and also is there an option to call my local police station and arrange an inspection and if so do I do that after I have my license or before?

I'd be surprised if they used resources inspecting safes for people that may never decide to own any firearms.

Kind of my thinking on the whole thing I just wanted to get some info on this and while I agree with what you said has anyone ever been inspected while your application is being reviewed?
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Peter988 » 21 Jul 2020, 6:10 pm

You may never get checked. It’s a bit of a lottery how they do it. They will ring first. They did mine last year. Took them 13 years to get round to it.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 21 Jul 2020, 6:22 pm

Peter988 wrote:You may never get checked. It’s a bit of a lottery how they do it. They will ring first. They did mine last year. Took them 13 years to get round to it.

Jesus haha I am a younger bloke in my early twenties though I wouldn't be surprised if I get the occasional visit I also don't live in a rural area so in my opinion there's more of a reason plus I have anxiety which I declared in my license application so you never know. but 13 years holy crap that's ages.
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 21 Jul 2020, 6:29 pm

Plenty of times u get asked about your storage address , and do you have correct legal storage sorted. And I have always told the truth and answered yes. If they check your storage and it’s not compliant then u are either in trouble or likely to get a very stern warning to fix it NOW ....... I think it’s best to have it in place before the licence is granted. You can always rip it out .... and a tall safe bolted to the floor and wall should be flush against the wall. Ie u may have to chop out a section of skirting board Cops don’t like safes that you can get a crow bar behind.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 21 Jul 2020, 6:31 pm

I want thieves trying to steal from me to have a very difficult time doing it .... I want them to sweat and bust their knuckles ....I want them to be swearing. I want them to hate me. And I want them to run away cranky and empty handed
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 21 Jul 2020, 7:05 pm

I already have a good set up prepared with several doors/locks you have to get through to even get to the safe so im good on security
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by boingk » 21 Jul 2020, 7:55 pm

Yeah you'll be right mate, but good to know you've got a safe and plans to secure it.

Down here in NSW they do it every couple years, same sort of thing they call ahead and rock round, see the safe, tick off your firearms, and thats it.

Ditto blr243's comments though. I want anyone trying to steal from me to be walking away empty handed and hating me. Preferably with a broken bone or three. And even more preferably being held by me as I walk them to the cop waiting at my front door.

I'll wake up now, heh.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Jul 2020, 8:41 pm

I had my inspection after I've purchased firearms and as previously stated, got a phone call first to set a time and date.
I got the impression that a few others where subject to inspections too.
It may not happen overnight but it will happen, so if your safe etc. is up to scratch, no worries or panic when you get a call.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by targetshooter900 » 21 Jul 2020, 9:07 pm

Good work being onto it and mounting your safe even before your licence is granted! As others said, it seems to be pretty random. Some people go 25 years without ever getting one. They call first and organise a time that suits both parties. Seems to be every couple years they may do it. They give your safe a tug and check the fixings and then ensure the serial numbers match with what's on the registry because there can sometimes be errors and whatnot. As others said it's no big deal, 20 minutes and sometimes the officer is a shooter themselves and you can have a chat about your collection
targetshooter900
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Jul 2020, 7:58 am

You don’t get a licence granted in Tas unless you have had an initial inspection
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Patriot » 22 Jul 2020, 8:35 am

As long as your safe is an approved type and bolted to floor or wall ( if it weighs less than 150kg) you’ll be right. The legislation doesn’t say anything about removing plaster or skirting, just securely bolted to the floor OR wall frame.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 22 Jul 2020, 1:46 pm

yeah just an update by the end of today the safe will be bolted into concrete behind locked doors unfortunately the s**ty bolts that came with the safe were horrible quality so ive gone and bought some better ones down at bunnings (The bolts did not match the instructions for installation from the booklet). Is there any specific parameters that needs to be met? It is a metal safe with separate storage compartment for ammo/bolts and its going to be bolted into concrete in a permanent building, is there anything else I need to know?
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 22 Jul 2020, 3:31 pm

I always load my rifles to go hunting making sure no neighbours or people walking past ever see them. Thieves can’t target guns they don’t know about .....I suspect there are gangs of thieves specifically targeting gun safes. They prob have cordless grinders and drills and metal shears
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 22 Jul 2020, 4:28 pm

Yep, bolts removed, mags removed & trigger locks on. This is appreciated by the inspection officers.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 22 Jul 2020, 6:38 pm

Some states have minimum requirements for the bolts into the wall or floor, QLD doesn't, as long as it doesn't budge when a cop gives it a good shove you'll be OK. If you're visiting Bunnings for your own bolts then just get the longest and thickest that your wall/drill will cope with and put in as many as you like, I have 11 in total, through the bottom and back, my save is never coming out of the house.
I also welded lots of additional re-enforcement steel inside it as I was waiting so long for my license and had nothing better to do.

Don't store the bolts with the ammo, even though its sensible for additional security the bolt is a major firearm part so should be in separate storage to the ammo. Empty magazines can be with or in the firearms but you must have bolt removed or a breech flag of some sort inserted. It has to be obvious that each firearm is not possible to discharge before even picking it up. Trigger locks are optional but certainly a good idea.

I've heard of inspections being cancelled when they realize there are no firearms being stored so you're not likely to be hearing from them any time soon, especially with police resources being stretched due to Covid.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 22 Jul 2020, 7:10 pm

rc42 wrote:Some states have minimum requirements for the bolts into the wall or floor, QLD doesn't, as long as it doesn't budge when a cop gives it a good shove you'll be OK. If you're visiting Bunnings for your own bolts then just get the longest and thickest that your wall/drill will cope with and put in as many as you like, I have 11 in total, through the bottom and back, my save is never coming out of the house.
I also welded lots of additional re-enforcement steel inside it as I was waiting so long for my license and had nothing better to do.

Don't store the bolts with the ammo, even though its sensible for additional security the bolt is a major firearm part so should be in separate storage to the ammo. Empty magazines can be with or in the firearms but you must have bolt removed or a breech flag of some sort inserted. It has to be obvious that each firearm is not possible to discharge before even picking it up. Trigger locks are optional but certainly a good idea.

I've heard of inspections being cancelled when they realize there are no firearms being stored so you're not likely to be hearing from them any time soon, especially with police resources being stretched due to Covid.

Thanks for the info, unfortunately ill have to store the bolt with the ammo as I dont really have anywhere else to lock it away. I plan on storing them with bolt removed, safety on with the magazine removed and stored separately. On a side note how do you safely store an air rifle since there action is usually within the weapon itself? If its a break action do you just leave it in the safe with the action broken?
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 22 Jul 2020, 8:05 pm

Bolts can be kept with rifle, preferably removed but at least actions open. Some firearm types its impractical to remove bolts/actions. Cant pull a bolt out of a lever gun easily. I store by bolt guns with the bolts removed and Velcro to the inner door in they're protective pouches. My levers with the actions open, and my side by side action closed with the action fired on snap caps.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 23 Jul 2020, 8:45 am

Chamber flags are a great solution for most firearms, they can fit into lever actions with the lever only slightly open, for air rifles strimmer cord inside the barrel is a common method. Shotguns should really be slightly opened/broken with something, perhaps rubber or plastic, preventing them from closing, snap caps may not meet the requirements as the firearm can't be assessed as not being in a fireable condition before picking it up.

Bolts can be left in the rifle (preferably with chamber flag) or removed but in the same part of the safe, or if you want to ruin a thief's day, get a small separate pistol safe, bolt it down and keep them in that, I would suggest storing copies of all PTA paperwork in there too so you have everything handy at inspection time. I would not keep any firearm parts with the ammo.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws