PTA Quetions (QLD)

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

PTA Quetions (QLD)

Post by JesseW97 » 23 Jul 2020, 5:13 pm

Hay there so if you've been reading my other posts you'll see that I've been asking about safe storage requirement and I also got tremendous help when applying for my CAT A & B license. When I applied I also payed for 2 PTAs one for a CAT A and a CAT B. For the details I put in the category of weapon, what type of weapon (In my case for cat A was an "air rifle"), the function (in this case I put "Air"), the calibre I intend on using which is .177 pellets and in the details for it I didn't put in the model of firearm I want as I want to go instore and get some opinions of the guys and gals at the store and I also didn't add any serial numbers due to me not knowing what firearm I want to buy yet. If someone doesn't mind shedding some light on how in depth you have to go in order for your PTAs to be approved? If my applications are not in depth enough does anyone know if you can cancel them and get a refund?

Cheers, hope to hear back from you guys soon.
Regards, Jesse.
Gamo Black Night - .177
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless - .22-250
Tikka T3x Roughtech Ember - .308
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: PTA Quetions (QLD)

Post by Chinballs » 23 Jul 2020, 5:33 pm

You'll be fine.

If they need more detail they will ring you and tell you what they need. Once you give them the info they will process the PTA, no need to get a refund and resubmit.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 23 Jul 2020, 7:12 pm

Chinballs wrote:You'll be fine.

If they need more detail they will ring you and tell you what they need. Once you give them the info they will process the PTA, no need to get a refund and resubmit.

Oh ok, thank you for this info.
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 24 Jul 2020, 12:19 am

Only supply the absolute minimum required information on a PTA, if you add anything else it just slows the process down.
Action and caliber are all that is really needed for A/B PTAs.

If you have a lot of firearms in a particular category already (dozens) you might get a call about why you need another although possibly only for Cat B, otherwise its just a check that your license is still valid and a rubber stamp for your $40.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 24 Jul 2020, 1:06 pm

As RC mentioned, you only need a few details, Category, Action Type and Calibre, as long as you have those along with your details, the dealers details and the reason you should be fine.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 24 Jul 2020, 6:58 pm

rc42 wrote:Only supply the absolute minimum required information on a PTA, if you add anything else it just slows the process down.
Action and caliber are all that is really needed for A/B PTAs.

If you have a lot of firearms in a particular category already (dozens) you might get a call about why you need another although possibly only for Cat B, otherwise its just a check that your license is still valid and a rubber stamp for your $40.

Thank you for the info, just an update so you all know I currently own no firearms nor do I have a license. I recently submitted my application and two PTAs a couple days ago so its a while away until I even get my first firearms. But yes for both the CAT A and CAT B PTAs I put the Category, for example my CAT A PTA I put down Cat A, Air Rifle, Air (For the action) and the caliber oh and the store i plan on buying them from.
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 24 Jul 2020, 9:10 pm

Welcome to the process, apparently WLB as moving back to their office during August so should be getting the new license processing time below 17 weeks, with license card delivery you should be heading down to your local dealer in about 20 weeks time. If you're buying the firearms soon make sure there's no charge for holding them while your license comes through, if there is change to a different dealer or just wait before buying.

There's a few months worth of forum reading and youtube videos that you should work through while you wait.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by targetshooter900 » 24 Jul 2020, 10:01 pm

rc42 wrote:Welcome to the process, apparently WLB as moving back to their office during August so should be getting the new license processing time below 17 weeks, with license card delivery you should be heading down to your local dealer in about 20 weeks time. If you're buying the firearms soon make sure there's no charge for holding them while your license comes through, if there is change to a different dealer or just wait before buying.

There's a few months worth of forum reading and youtube videos that you should work through while you wait.

Lol, this shouldn't be an issue as the dealer can't hand over/sell the firearm til he has the PTA and physical licence card in hand, in the gunshop
targetshooter900
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 25 Jul 2020, 11:31 am

Some dealers hit customers with a weekly storage charge for the time between the firearm arriving at their store and the time that the customer is actually able to collect it due to no fault of their own. These dealers should be avoided to encourage better behavior and it's worth checking before buying.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 27 Jul 2020, 2:07 pm

I just rejoined the anxiously waiting my pta club of Qld ...I realised that by buying locally and by getting my pta sent direct to my dealer I can pick the rifle up one Arvo after work ( it’s in stock too ) Anyone one familiar with the current wait in this situation ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 27 Jul 2020, 2:13 pm

Looks like I’m also now a member of the goodbye cheap brass and projectiles club
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws