Can I possess inert 50BMG rounds or brass in QLD?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Can I possess inert 50BMG rounds or brass in QLD?

Post by Jakethefake » 11 Sep 2020, 9:34 pm

Obviously I'm aware that 50BMG firearms are prohibited in QLD, but what about the ammo? I only want one or maybe two, and not even live ones. I've found someone selling inert rounds on usedguns down in Vic, but before I waste his time and mine, I want to make sure its ok for me to buy one. Do I need a collectors licence? Do you need a licence at all to possess inert ammo, or brass/projectiles?
Jakethefake
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Can I possess inert 50BMG rounds or brass in QLD?

Post by duddley75 » 11 Sep 2020, 10:14 pm

Check the definition of ammunition.

If it doesn't qualify as ammo you should be ok.

Ie in NSW you need a primer or powder in it to classify as ammo.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 11 Sep 2020, 10:16 pm

Only WA have stupid rules about used brass
In QLD you can possess inert rounds/brass/projectiles they are just scrap metal, you can also pick them up at arms fairs in Brisbane.

I think you have to notify WLB if you possess inert grenades but I'm not too sure on that one, it may be other states.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Sep 2020, 3:34 am

I thought I read (on this very forum maybe 6 months ago) a proposed amendment to QLD or NSW (Had to be voted on) that anything resembling military - including ammunition would need a permit...inert or otherwise.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by linkoln » 15 Sep 2020, 9:54 am

50BMG is banned in qld? Do you mean completely or just on certain ranges?
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Farmerpete » 15 Sep 2020, 12:43 pm

The qld weapons act defines "any firearm capable of firing a 50bmg round" under category r weapon there's no mention of 50bmg ammunition specifically (from memory)
On a side note according to YouTube, by that definition, all break action shotguns should be classified cat r in qld (that might wake up the fuds at the clay range)
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 15 Sep 2020, 4:41 pm

There's packets of ADI 50bmg brass on the shelf at my LGS, no projectiles in sight though, wanted to make a dummy rounds for the gun room.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 15 Sep 2020, 4:50 pm

Farmerpete wrote:The qld weapons act defines "any firearm capable of firing a 50bmg round" under category r weapon there's no mention of 50bmg ammunition specifically (from memory)
On a side note according to YouTube, by that definition, all break action shotguns should be classified cat r in qld (that might wake up the fuds at the clay range)

Shotguns can only "fire" .50BMG if you wrap the case head with tape to stop it falling down the bore. And it "fires" in only the broadest sense, it has no real potential of being aimed at something specific.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Sep 2020, 5:07 pm

Rwd22 wrote:There's packets of ADI 50bmg brass on the shelf at my LGS, no projectiles in sight though, wanted to make a dummy rounds for the gun room.

Projectile Warehouse normally offer sample packs, but .50BMG bullets usually come in 10rd or 20rd packs anyway. You'll be looking at $5-$10 per bullet though. If you know anybody with a lathe get them to turn you some up out of brass rod. Otherwise, inert .50BMG is probably going to cost you $20 apiece anyway.
http://www.jasperco.com.au/products/FPU/50CALDUM/50caldum.htm

Probably worth buying new brass and bullets, make ten of them, sell the ones you don't need for $25 apiece on Ebay.

Ebay the bottle openers, they have a cut in one side but if they're only for static display it won't be seen, and they don't count as ordnance as they're obviously deactivated.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50-Cal-Caliber-Bullet-Bottle-Opener-Shiny-50-Metal-Shell-Gun-Ammo-Gift-Box/113974547888
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by CAVEMAN » 15 Sep 2020, 6:55 pm

LGS in Townsville was flogging of single live 50 cal rounds last year for $10. Reputable joint, we aren't restricted to owning ammo to weapons you own so i cant see why not.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 15 Sep 2020, 8:37 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Rwd22 wrote:There's packets of ADI 50bmg brass on the shelf at my LGS, no projectiles in sight though, wanted to make a dummy rounds for the gun room.

Projectile Warehouse normally offer sample packs, but .50BMG bullets usually come in 10rd or 20rd packs anyway. You'll be looking at $5-$10 per bullet though. If you know anybody with a lathe get them to turn you some up out of brass rod. Otherwise, inert .50BMG is probably going to cost you $20 apiece anyway.
http://www.jasperco.com.au/products/FPU/50CALDUM/50caldum.htm

Probably worth buying new brass and bullets, make ten of them, sell the ones you don't need for $25 apiece on Ebay.

Ebay the bottle openers, they have a cut in one side but if they're only for static display it won't be seen, and they don't count as ordnance as they're obviously deactivated.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50-Cal-Caliber-Bullet-Bottle-Opener-Shiny-50-Metal-Shell-Gun-Ammo-Gift-Box/113974547888

Had the similar idea, being that the ADI brass comes in 20 packs too, could knock up a few and flog them off.

Have a lathe at work, just need to get hold of some brass solid bar, have plenty of stainless bar, that could look interesting 8-)
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Erwin » 02 Jan 2022, 1:50 am

Yes!! you can have 50bmg rounds in QLD.But you need own Collector licence to get it.
Just get one on Gun Show an need check my Collector licence.
Cheers
Erwin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 02 Jan 2022, 2:42 am

Erwin wrote:Yes!! you can have 50bmg rounds in QLD.But you need own Collector licence to get it.
Cheers

An ammunition collectors licence?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 02 Jan 2022, 7:12 am

Please don't spread misinformation. You do not need a collectors licence to own 50bmg ammo. Ammunition comes under the explosives act and its subsequent regulation NOT the weapons act as firearms do.

So long as you have a licence to use firearms issued under the weapons act and it is under a calibre of 25.4mm(1 inch) you can possess it as it is known as small arms ammunition.

Whilst 50bmg firearms are category R in Queensland it is lawful to posses the ammunition in Queensland and drive to another state to shoot it.

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/weapon-li ... ammunition
Attachments
2.PNG
2.PNG (133.41 KiB) Viewed 6859 times
1.PNG
1.PNG (36.18 KiB) Viewed 6859 times
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 02 Jan 2022, 7:14 am

bladeracer wrote:
Erwin wrote:Yes!! you can have 50bmg rounds in QLD.But you need own Collector licence to get it.
Cheers

Yes it is a thing. I don't know much about it but its for high explosive type stuff. If you want to possess artillery shells and stuff that do not conform to small arms ammunition and stuff like that.
Last edited by Communism_Is_Cancer on 02 Jan 2022, 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 02 Jan 2022, 7:22 am

Security have to use ammo over .22 and under .40 for handguns and bigger than birdshot but no bigger than SSG for shotguns. And the ammo has to be less than a year old.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 02 Jan 2022, 9:58 am

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Cheers

Yes it is a thing. I don't know much about it but its for high explosive type stuff. If you want to possess artillery shells and stuff that do not conform to small arms ammunition and stuff like that.

I know it's a thing :-)
We have ammo collectors licences down here also, handy for people that don't have CatA/B licences that want to collect ammunition.
.50BMG is fine down here also, as long as you have an appropriate firearm licence, pretty sure only WA wants to control people down to that level of minutia...so far.
If Erwin doesn't have a firearm licence then he would have to have an ammo collectors licence to buy or possess any kind of live ammunition.
No state allows the sale of live ammo to unlicensed people any more, even privately you can't give ammo to unlicensed people.

But addressing the original question of _inert_ brass or cartridges, as long as the cartridge is _clearly_ identifiable as inert (generally a hole drilled through the case) then it is no longer considered ammunition, except in WA (unless the bullet is also a dummy), so anybody can buy or possess them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws