Pistol club 6 month probation questions.

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Pistol club 6 month probation questions.

Post by JesseW97 » 22 Sep 2020, 4:55 pm

Hay there enough gun community today I joined the pistol branch of the shooters union and I was just wondering what my requirements are for my 6 month probation? I was told I need to complete 3 competition shoots and do my safety course for CAT H, what I don't understand is do I need to take a certain form to my local range where I shoot pistols every week or two? I was told "In the six month probation period you are required to do the 3 competition shoots and have them signed off by the range officer. Also, if you don't already have one get a safety certificate".

So my main question is what form does the range officer have to "Sign off" on?

Cheers, hope to hear back from you guys/girls soon.
Regards, Jesse.
Gamo Black Night - .177
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless - .22-250
Tikka T3x Roughtech Ember - .308
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Pistol club 6 month probation questions.

Post by rc42 » 22 Sep 2020, 5:15 pm

Hi, you will need an 'attendance card' or booklet that you keep with you, you can download a template otherwise ask for one at the range, they will have them.
The person acting as range officer will then sign off that you attended a particular competition at that range on that date.

You'll need to take your evidence of SU pistol section membership and fill out a form 33 at the range, you will then be supervised as you borrow a club (or a licensed friend's) handgun.

EDIT:

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/sites/def ... 0guide.pdf
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 22 Sep 2020, 5:26 pm

rc42 wrote:Hi, you will need an 'attendance card' or booklet that you keep with you, you can download a template otherwise ask for one at the range, they will have them.
The person acting as range officer will then sign off that you attended a particular competition at that range on that date.

You'll need to take your evidence of SU pistol section membership and fill out a form 33 at the range, you will then be supervised as you borrow a club (or a licensed friend's) handgun.

EDIT:

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/sites/def ... 0guide.pdf

I appreciate your reply, the only proof I have of being apart of the shooters union pistol branch is the email they sent me saying "You are now a member of the shooters union pistol club" Will this be enough or will they send me another membership card in the mail specifying that im apart of there pistol club not just the regular shooters union member card?

I did ask the pistol branch of shooters union if the QP0516 is the form that the range officer will need to sign off after my shoots but I got no response as I think i may have asked them to many questions and possibly annoyed them with the constant emails haha not my fault I wanted to be thorough though. in the section where it says licence number would I just leave that blank as I currently dont have a licence?
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 22 Sep 2020, 5:47 pm

License number can be left blank, that's for your end of year submission when you do have a license, in 6 months you'll send a scanned copy of it with your license application.

You'll need to contact the club/range that you are attending to see what they want to see for members of other clubs, they may just let you attend as an unlicensed shooter without caring whether you are in another club.

Some clubs still don't let form 33 unlicensed visitors attend and some aren't even running competitions yet so calling ahead is essential.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 22 Sep 2020, 5:54 pm

rc42 wrote:License number can be left blank, that's for your end of year submission when you do have a license, in 6 months you'll send a scanned copy of it with your license application.

You'll need to contact the club/range that you are attending to see what they want to see for members of other clubs, they may just let you attend as an unlicensed shooter without caring whether you are in another club.

Some clubs still don't let form 33 unlicensed visitors attend and some aren't even running competitions yet so calling ahead is essential.

Awesome thanks for clearing this up for me I have printed out the form you linked and the range I attend is letting unlicensed shooters shoot. I've been attending this range for a couple months now usually go every week or every two weeks I asked one of the range officers what exactly do the competition shoots mean and they said its literally just you shooting 60 rounds while they supervise so in a sense you are just competing against yourself.
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 22 Sep 2020, 7:23 pm

Oh, one more question on the QP0516 form under "Club:" is that the name of the range I go to or the club I joined in order to obtain my licence?
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Chinballs » 23 Sep 2020, 1:34 pm

JesseW97 wrote:Oh, one more question on the QP0516 form under "Club:" is that the name of the range I go to or the club I joined in order to obtain my licence?

The club you are a member of and use to support your genuine reason for getting a licence ie Shooters Union. You put the range you actually shot the match at in the Range Location column.

Once you have done the three required shoots you send a copy of your QP516 to Shooters Union and they will send you a completed QP518A Approved Club Declaration (Queensland Applicant) which confirms you have done the three required shoots and are a current financial member of the club. Once you receive the signed QP518A form you can go online and apply for your licence. You will need to attach both the QP518A as well as a copy of your safety course certificate.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 23 Sep 2020, 2:12 pm

One thing to note, you can send your QP516 with three shoots to SU as soon as you complete them but SU can't send you the QP518A back until 6 months (plus one day) after you joined, which marks the end of your mandatory probation period.

It's best to have as many shoots on your attendance record as possible when you return it, just in case there is a need to demonstrate your commitment to the sport, so don't send it to SU till your probation ends, also it may get lost if filed for several months.

If things go well you could be collecting your very own pistol from a dealer in about 1 year and a year after that you can get a second one....
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 26 Sep 2020, 2:09 pm

rc42 wrote:One thing to note, you can send your QP516 with three shoots to SU as soon as you complete them but SU can't send you the QP518A back until 6 months (plus one day) after you joined, which marks the end of your mandatory probation period.

It's best to have as many shoots on your attendance record as possible when you return it, just in case there is a need to demonstrate your commitment to the sport, so don't send it to SU till your probation ends, also it may get lost if filed for several months.

If things go well you could be collecting your very own pistol from a dealer in about 1 year and a year after that you can get a second one....

Thanks for the info, I talked to the range officers at the pistol range I go to and they told me to keep getting them to sign every pistol shoot I do (I go every week or two for a shoot) and they said if weapons licencing see that I am infact being very active at the range and have more than the minimum 3 shoots for my 6 month probation weapons licencing will look at that and think yep this guy clearly isnt just trying to get his CAT H just to own a handgun it is more likely to be put at the top of the list compared to someone who only does the 3 minimum shoots during the 6 month probation.
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws