Weapons on an Occupational Licence cat C

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Weapons on an Occupational Licence cat C

Post by 30roundsisstandard » 27 Sep 2020, 6:05 pm

G-day guys.

My mate I work with recently got their application accepted for their category C licence in Queensland for feral pest control on the farm. For his first choice however, he wanted to start with a bolt action just to get the wheel moving before he buys a semi auto.

Now as we all know when you apply for an occupational licence for things like Primary production or Rural Employee Cat C weapons can only be used on the property the licence was signed for. (My mate knows this). However, what he is unsure about is if weapons that are not Cat C apply to the same rule i.e cat A and B guns. (only allowed to be used on the property the licence was applied for). He wants to know because we work on other farms and not just the main property stated on his occupational licence. His thinking is even though he cant use his cat C on other properties a bolt gun would still be useful to carry along.

If I told him I didn't know the answer and I have not been able to find the answer by combing through the Weapons Act so I told him I would try to get to the bottom of it. Also even if he can only use his guns on his specified property since I have cat A and B on my licence for shooting on rural lands and he has A B and C he would be allowed to use one of my rifles. (Please correct me if im wrong)

Cheers.
30roundsisstandard
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Weapons on an Occupational Licence cat C

Post by bladeracer » 27 Sep 2020, 6:18 pm

30roundsisstandard wrote:G-day guys.

My mate I work with recently got their application accepted for their category C licence in Queensland for feral pest control on the farm. For his first choice however, he wanted to start with a bolt action just to get the wheel moving before he buys a semi auto.

Now as we all know when you apply for an occupational licence for things like Primary production or Rural Employee Cat C weapons can only be used on the property the licence was signed for. (My mate knows this). However, what he is unsure about is if weapons that are not Cat C apply to the same rule i.e cat A and B guns. (only allowed to be used on the property the licence was applied for). He wants to know because we work on other farms and not just the main property stated on his occupational licence. His thinking is even though he cant use his cat C on other properties a bolt gun would still be useful to carry along.

If I told him I didn't know the answer and I have not been able to find the answer by combing through the Weapons Act so I told him I would try to get to the bottom of it. Also even if he can only use his guns on his specified property since I have cat A and B on my licence for shooting on rural lands and he has A B and C he would be allowed to use one of my rifles. (Please correct me if im wrong)

Cheers.

Do you mean he doesn't have his own Cat A or B licence, only the CatC?
If he buys any firearm under a CatC licence I would expect it to be governed by CatC requirements, even if it's a CatA or B firearm.
If he wants to be able to shoot on other properties he needs to get the CatA and B licence, I can't see any reason he wouldn't have done so already. To apply for and receive a CatC licence, but then buy a CatB rifle seems like a handy way to have your CatC revoked on grounds of being unnecessary.
If he has CatA or B licence he can borrow your CatA or B firearms. Some states, like ACT and WA require co-licencing a firearm before lending or borrow it.

His best bet is to email Firearms and have his questions answered in writing.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 27 Sep 2020, 6:26 pm

As I understand Category C firearms your mate will be licensed for one semi auto rimfire rifle or one semi auto shotgun (or possibly one of each), any other firearm such as a bolt action would have to be purchased under an A/B license and PTA so would be available for use under the conditions that apply to his A/B license on ranges or any private rural property where they have permission to shoot. I wouldn't expect that a bolt action or other A/B firearm would be an option when completing the Cat C PTA application.

As he has and A/B license, check his license card for the RE1 and SC1 endorsements which permit A/B firearm use on private property and ranges, if they are on there he's good to go, just don't take the Cat C firearm along for a ride.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by 30roundsisstandard » 27 Sep 2020, 6:34 pm

rc42 wrote:As I understand Category C firearms your mate will be licensed for one semi auto rimfire rifle or one semi auto shotgun (or possibly one of each), any other firearm such as a bolt action would have to be purchased under an A/B license and PTA so would be available for use under the conditions that apply to his A/B license on ranges or any private rural property where they have permission to shoot. I wouldn't expect that a bolt action or other A/B firearm would be an option when completing the Cat C PTA application.

As he has and A/B license, check his license card for the RE1 and SC1 endorsements which permit A/B firearm use on private property and ranges, if they are on there he's good to go, just don't take the Cat C firearm along for a ride.

Cheers for that. As Far as I Know He was able to Get A B and C all in one go. I will take a look and see what the go is at work and will go from there.
As said by bladeracer
bladeracer wrote: His best bet is to email Firearms and have his questions answered in writing.
can always be an option, even though I believe that is the sheep asking the wolves on how not to get eaten. :problem:
30roundsisstandard
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 27 Sep 2020, 6:42 pm

30roundsisstandard wrote:As said by bladeracer
bladeracer wrote: His best bet is to email Firearms and have his questions answered in writing.
can always be an option, even though I believe that is the sheep asking the wolves on how not to get eaten. :problem:

Yes, I get that, but it's the only way you'll have an accurate answer, unless you want to pay a lawyer to investigate for you even though he'll still add that anything he tells you may not be legal or accurate :-)
You could ask one of the shooter's groups to chase it up for you, they might be willing to.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 30roundsisstandard » 27 Sep 2020, 8:25 pm

bladeracer wrote:Yes, I get that, but it's the only way you'll have an accurate answer, unless you want to pay a lawyer to investigate for you even though he'll still add that anything he tells you may not be legal or accurate :-)
You could ask one of the shooter's groups to chase it up for you, they might be willing to.

Yeah all beliefs aside going to licencing will most likely give the correct answer as it does somewhat have a straight from the horses mouth angle to it :lol:
NGL I too wonder why my Mate is taking this route Its like getting the keys to the mansion and choosing to sleep the first few months out on the lawn :lol: (Edit) Oh well different strokes. Anyhow, Ill have to wait and see whats on my mates magic piece of plastic and go from there so thanks for your help guys. :thumbsup:
30roundsisstandard
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws