Buying my first firearms

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Buying my first firearms

Post by JesseW97 » 01 Oct 2020, 11:07 am

Hay there guys so I got the approval for my two PTAs today just waiting for them to come in the mail. As a first time gun buyer I was wondering on how I should approach this and what the process is? Would it be better to order them online first and then pick up or is it fine to go into the store with my PTAs have a look around etc... I know the rifle I want to get which is the Tikka T3x Lite chambered in 22-250 and for my other PTA I don't really know what i want (Air rifle chambered in .177). I'm going to ask the workers in store about cleaning gear, scopes etc.. just hoping to gather a little more information before I walk in the store and ask them a million questions as the store I'm buying from tends to be pretty busy.

Cheers, hope to hear back from yous soon.
Regards, Jesse.
Gamo Black Night - .177
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless - .22-250
Tikka T3x Roughtech Ember - .308
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Buying my first firearms

Post by ThatNewGuy » 01 Oct 2020, 11:56 am

I would go instore and "hunt" down any of the rifles that appeal to you then ask questions based on what you want to do with them. Another quick note is that even if you have in your mind a rifle that you want it might not be the one that screams pick me when you actually get your hands on it... This has happened multiple times to me as I will go looking for a particular rifle only to not be that impressed or it just doesnt click.

Final side note is that you will probably end up paying a lot more than you think on cleaning gear and accessories.

other than that hope everything goes well.
I just wanted something here...

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Oct 2020, 12:54 pm

A good way to improve your chances of getting some advice is to spend a bit first eg cleaning gear or whatever. They hate a million questions I think because they know u can use them for that and buy elsewhere .....if I buy a rifle before my pta is approved it could be a stuff around for refund if pta doesn’t come your way. Sometimes a rifle might be on a real good special hence the tendency to lock it in with a deposit and hope the pta is an easy quick one ..... beware of adverts that say ZTHESE RIFLES ARE DUE TO ARRIVE IN MARCH .... sometimes that is true. Sometimes it’s ridiculously drawn out and inaccurate .
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 01 Oct 2020, 1:21 pm

ThatNewGuy wrote:I would go instore and "hunt" down any of the rifles that appeal to you then ask questions based on what you want to do with them. Another quick note is that even if you have in your mind a rifle that you want it might not be the one that screams pick me when you actually get your hands on it... This has happened multiple times to me as I will go looking for a particular rifle only to not be that impressed or it just doesnt click.

Final side note is that you will probably end up paying a lot more than you think on cleaning gear and accessories.

other than that hope everything goes well.

Yeah ive been into the store a few times over the last couple of months even before my licence got approved I was already looking around having a feel of different rifles etc.. I did like the feel of the T3x Lite thats why I made the decision on that being the one I want to buy and its not that expensive either. Where I get a little stumped is on what choice of scope i will need, I dont want to be paying a s**t ton for a scope I just want something good and reliable for a decent price probably $500 and under for a scope would be my preference.
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 01 Oct 2020, 1:23 pm

Blr243 wrote:A good way to improve your chances of getting some advice is to spend a bit first eg cleaning gear or whatever. They hate a million questions I think because they know u can use them for that and buy elsewhere .....if I buy a rifle before my pta is approved it could be a stuff around for refund if pta doesn’t come your way. Sometimes a rifle might be on a real good special hence the tendency to lock it in with a deposit and hope the pta is an easy quick one ..... beware of adverts that say ZTHESE RIFLES ARE DUE TO ARRIVE IN MARCH .... sometimes that is true. Sometimes it’s ridiculously drawn out and inaccurate .

Yeah I understand what you mean but ive had my eye on the T3x Lite for a while now I plan on buying everything I need in one swoop. Guns, mounts, scope, ammo, cleaning gear....
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws