Purchasing pistol rounds with an A/B licence?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Purchasing pistol rounds with an A/B licence?

Post by JesseW97 » 06 Oct 2020, 7:45 pm

Hay there, today I went down to my pistol range and asked would it be cheaper if I brought my own rounds to the range short answer was yes, I only have an A/B licence I was wondering are you allowed to purchase pistol rounds on an A/B licence? The rounds I plan on purchasing are 38 special, has anyone with an A/B licence done this before?

Cheers, hope to hear back from you soon.
Regards, Jesse.
Gamo Black Night - .177
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless - .22-250
Tikka T3x Roughtech Ember - .308
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Purchasing pistol rounds with an A/B licence?

Post by rc42 » 06 Oct 2020, 8:37 pm

Yes you can.

38 special / 357 Magnum rounds are usable in carbine rifles that are Cat B

Mostly lever actions in that caliber but I have the Ruger M77/357 bolt action which is a great little rifle and have never had any problem getting ammo for it. Actually I never had problems getting 9mm which I was using in club pistols during my Cat H probation period.

Parts which are specifically for pistols, even grips, usually need you to flash your Cat H license card but I've never been asked for ammo purchases

Edit - Just to add that ammo in QLD is covered under explosives regs and not firearms legislation so any small arms ammunition can be purchased by the holder of any firearms license, you don't need to have a firearm of that caliber under your license either.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 06 Oct 2020, 9:34 pm

Tell them its for a lever action
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by JesseW97 » 06 Oct 2020, 10:50 pm

Appreciate the responses, thank you. I am actually currently on my 6 month probation so I can apply for my CAT H so I do have a genuine reason for needing this ammo its going to save me quite a lot of money in the long run at the pistol range I go to. Ill only have to pay the range fee and hire the pistol so all up ill be paying around $20-$30 compared to $82 (What i usually pay when I hire the gun and 100 rounds)
Gamo Black Night - .177
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless - .22-250
Tikka T3x Roughtech Ember - .308
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Oct 2020, 4:20 am

JesseW97 wrote:Appreciate the responses, thank you. I am actually currently on my 6 month probation so I can apply for my CAT H so I do have a genuine reason for needing this ammo its going to save me quite a lot of money in the long run at the pistol range I go to. Ill only have to pay the range fee and hire the pistol so all up ill be paying around $20-$30 compared to $82 (What i usually pay when I hire the gun and 100 rounds)

If the ammo can be used for a rifle in cat A/B most folks would sell it to you. If it's 9mm or similar which isn't really used in A/B rifles, they won't.
Member-Deleted

Post by trekin » 07 Oct 2020, 7:22 am

BangWhizzClack wrote:
JesseW97 wrote:Appreciate the responses, thank you. I am actually currently on my 6 month probation so I can apply for my CAT H so I do have a genuine reason for needing this ammo its going to save me quite a lot of money in the long run at the pistol range I go to. Ill only have to pay the range fee and hire the pistol so all up ill be paying around $20-$30 compared to $82 (What i usually pay when I hire the gun and 100 rounds)

If the ammo can be used for a rifle in cat A/B most folks would sell it to you. If it's 9mm or similar which isn't really used in A/B rifles, they won't.

Except in QLD, where the OP is from, small arms ammunition comes under the QLD Explosive Act/Regs, not the weapons/firearms Act/Regs. The only requirement for small arms ammo is a person must hold a firearms licence, there is no stipulation limiting certain ammo to certain licences/catagory of firearms.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 07 Oct 2020, 8:47 am

The anti gun fanatics tried to get this changed in 2018 so that ammunition would only be available to a licensee for the caliber of firearm under their license and even then in limited amounts.
Even the QLD police stepped in to say this would be expensive to administer, hugely inconvenient to shooters and their businesses and offer no benefit to public safety.
Fortunately the politicians listened and the whole idea was dropped.

No doubt it will be proposed again but currently in QLD any firearms license gives us access to purchase as much small arms ammunition as we can afford in any caliber, even if we don't have any firearms under our license.

Note that under explosives regs only suitably licensed people can sell ammunition, with just a firearms license we can purchase and possess it but we can't sell it on, or even give it away. We can use it or hand it in for disposal.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by snag » 07 Oct 2020, 7:20 pm

Short answer, in Qld, yes.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws