First time buying unsure on use of PTA

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

First time buying unsure on use of PTA

Post by Pumbaaor » 28 Oct 2020, 9:00 am

I am new the QLD WPN licence and don't know the ins and outs of what I can do and not.
I have submitted my licence and PTA online and am waiting for them to clear with my PTA I nominated my preferred gun store, I had my eye on a second hand rifle but it has since been sold as QPS like to drag their feet with new applications.

So my questions is this can I use the PTA for my nominated store to buy a second hand rifle from another person while using the store as the broker?

Or am I stuck with waiting for a new rifle to come up or pony up the cash and buy new.

Thank you all for your help
Pumbaaor
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: First time buying unsure on use of PTA

Post by Blr243 » 28 Oct 2020, 4:01 pm

I’m in Qld. I bought rifles from my father in nsw. When I filled out disposer details I provided my fathers details. But apparently I was supposed to write the Qld receiving Gun stores details because technically they are the disposer. But it’s confusing because I thought my father was the disposer .....your dealer will receive the pta by email. So the sale is going thru him no matter what. So I think whoever u buy from , it must be posted ( couriered ) to your gunstore. And off course I could be completely wrong too ..... your nominated store will know more than I
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 28 Oct 2020, 5:54 pm

If it works like Tas ;
Re 2nd hand - Your effectively buying from the dealer - not the seller.
The receiving dealer has to register in their name/books before they can on sell to you...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by LawrenceA » 28 Oct 2020, 6:30 pm

I am in QLD.
You are buying from the dealer.
For this reason I keep the details on the PTA as limited as possible as it must match what the dealer has if you go into detail.
For instance:
If I wrote bolt action 22. Then can buy any bolt action 22
If I wrote Brno bolt action 22 serial 1234. Then the PTA will not be approved until that particular rifle comes into the dealers records.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rwd22 » 29 Oct 2020, 5:00 pm

The easiest way in this instance I can think of. Find someone selling a second hand rifle, pay them the funds, get them to transfer the firearm onto the gunstores license, use your PTA against the gunstore. Even if your PTA was for a private seller, it still needs to be brokered at a gunshop. So you're just adding a step in there to achieve the same outcome. Providing your Local gunshop is somewhat helpful it shouldn't be a problem.

Outside of that you need to buy/order a new rifle in the same specs, or wait for that dealer to get ahold of another 2nd hand rifle in the same specs, which could be either a short wait, or a very very long wait.

I was hesitant throwing money at my first rifle before I had my license or PTA approved, but knowing I had one paid in full sitting there awaiting the paperwork made things alot easier in the end.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Pumbaaor » 29 Oct 2020, 11:42 pm

Thank you everyone this has helped me alot. Super keen to hurry up and wait till I can get some range time in
Pumbaaor
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws