Shooting clays from boat

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Shooting clays from boat

Post by bladeracer » 05 Nov 2020, 4:28 pm

Ziege wrote:sold by sportsmarine, blank box except for "clay target" and on the rear lower tab has some numbers and batch info including clay,chalk,gypsym, I buy them cos theyre the cheapest ones here... the normal black/orange ones are about 15% more $

and I am more than aware what gypsum is. as a farmer and builder I need no lesson on minerals and soils.

I would lean on these being clay as they are heavier and dont travel as far out of the thrower as the name brand ones.

Okay, we seem to be talking about White Flyer targets, distributed by Winchester here?
I have emailed Spartan to ask them what they are made from as it doesn't state it on their website or at White Flyer.

This is helpful though.
[url]bioplasticsnews.com/2019/07/14/biodegradable-clay-targets/[/url]
White Flyer bio targets.JPG
White Flyer bio targets.JPG (112.56 KiB) Viewed 2838 times

Your use of the slash in "clay/gypsum" indicates that they are made from a combination of clay and gypsum, together. Just an ironic syntax error, as it seems neither product is used in these.

What colour are yours as the White Flyer should still be either black or black/orange.
White Flyer Spartan.JPG
White Flyer Spartan.JPG (33.46 KiB) Viewed 2838 times

If you discover these are not the White Flyer targets please let me know.

I'll also see if my dealer can supply these.
Thanks Ziege!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 05 Nov 2020, 4:35 pm

roger will talk to them next time I am in store and ask who the manufacturer/distributor is, for the record tho they look like the "white flyer" in your pic above. they are powdery and don't often get the shards or break offs that the more expensive ones often get, these more readily turn to dust. I am assuming maybe the powdery coating/colour must have something to do with the gypsum/chalk involved, and clay and gyp do "bind" to a degree hence using gyp to break up heavy laden clay soil.

cheers.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 05 Nov 2020, 4:42 pm

Ziege wrote:roger will talk to them next time I am in store and ask who the manufacturer/distributor is, for the record tho they look like the "white flyer" in your pic above. they are powdery and don't often get the shards or break offs that the more expensive ones often get, these more readily turn to dust. I am assuming maybe the powdery coating/colour must have something to do with the gypsum/chalk involved, and clay and gyp do "bind" to a degree hence using gyp to break up heavy laden clay soil.

cheers.

Much appreciated :-)

There is a kit made in Italy to mould your own clays from gypsum, but they haven't responded to several emails.
https://www.wheetarget.it/en/

One day I'll have to play around with making my own moulds I guess.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 05 Nov 2020, 4:44 pm

id be keen too, ive got a tonne of leftover base coat and stuff laying around here, let me know if they get back to you.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 05 Nov 2020, 5:02 pm

Ziege wrote:id be keen too, ive got a tonne of leftover base coat and stuff laying around here, let me know if they get back to you.

If they do I will definitely be posting it here :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 05 Nov 2020, 5:10 pm

Throwing this back to the original question i reckon you could get away with it considering the water belongs to the federal government (who don't have gun laws) and the people with gun laws are state governments (the state ends at the ocean, i think) im not saying go for it but it would be an interesting court case
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GojiraSteve » 06 Nov 2020, 5:09 am

Farmerpete wrote:Throwing this back to the original question i reckon you could get away with it considering the water belongs to the federal government (who don't have gun laws) and the people with gun laws are state governments (the state ends at the ocean, i think) im not saying go for it but it would be an interesting court case

They might not have gun laws, but what are the odds they could bring import/export of firearms regulations to bear once you have left (and subsequently returned to) Australian Territorial Waters with a shottie in tow?
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Farmerpete » 06 Nov 2020, 2:57 pm

Gojira i wasn't talking about heading into international waters, im pretty sure the state doesn't own the ocean it falls under federal law within Australian territorial waters.
You wouldn't be importing anything because technically you didn't leave Australian territory but you would be out of state (technically), it's a very grey area.
Again I reiterate i wouldn't do it myself and I wouldn't recommend trying it but it would be an interesting question to ask a lawyer.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GojiraSteve » 09 Nov 2020, 7:08 am

Farmerpete wrote:Gojira i wasn't talking about heading into international waters, im pretty sure the state doesn't own the ocean it falls under federal law within Australian territorial waters.
You wouldn't be importing anything because technically you didn't leave Australian territory but you would be out of state (technically), it's a very grey area.
Again I reiterate i wouldn't do it myself and I wouldn't recommend trying it but it would be an interesting question to ask a lawyer.

Gotcha, a few other blokes had suggested heading into international waters, I might have conflated their posts with yours when the import/export question arose in my mind.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Nov 2020, 7:33 pm

Ziege wrote:
I was wondering how the hell they worked that out... cos dunno bout everyone else's dog, but mine doesnt eat s**t like clays lol

Lab tests. They normally use rats or fish. I'm guessing but i think pitch is considered hazardous to our health. In order to cone up with a workplace exposure standard tests are conducted on various animals. Surprised dogs get a mention though.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Robin » 13 Nov 2020, 9:13 pm

Don't know if its legal or not, but now im thinking of how much fun it would be out on the water fishing and clay shooting
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 14 Nov 2020, 4:09 pm

Just wanted to ask the op if they contacted weapons licensing and what the response was?
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 14 Nov 2020, 4:25 pm

Just wanted to ask the op if they contacted weapons licensing and what the response was?
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Previous

Return to Queensland gun laws